a manly quilt

I pulled out fabrics for this quilt a while back, and I finally got around to making a few blocks. I’ve been calling it my ‘manly quilt’, and I’m afraid it’s kind of stuck. So now, even if I decide to keep it for myself, I’ll always think of it as the manly quilt.

manly-quilt

I really love that so many of the new Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley prints could be appropriate for a guy. In fact, I had these up on my design wall when my brother stopped over the other day, and he immediately said he thought it would look great on his bed… (and it actually really would, but we’ll have to see about that!)

manly-blocks

(That greenish-yellow is really hard to photograph, and these pictures leave a bit to be desired. Hopefully you’ll take my word that it looks better in person!)

This entry was posted in Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to a manly quilt

Heather says:

I LOVE it Ashley!!! Your boy quilts are my fav!!! :)

amanda says:

yes, I agree that those gray hope valley fabrics are perfect for any man.

Erin Kellogg says:

STUNNING. I love how some of the blocks have that extra bit of piecing.

Nicholas says:

I love this colorway of Hope Valley and bought a few yards a couple weeks ago, although I paired it with a softer green. Your burst of aqua and that delicious yellow-green is making me rethink… oh, yes.

I really like this! And it can be kind of hard to design a quilt for a guy. This works great!

Love this!
    I’ve just bought Moda’s Neptune range as My son (10) would like a little snuggle quilt!
    I’m going to go with nice masculine squares too!!
    Fabulous blog- thank you for so much inspiration!
    kt x

Terri Harlan says:

Holy Georgeous!!
    This is Awesome!!!

Sara says:

Now that you say it, they would all make great neck tie fabrics!
    Manly or not, it’s still very pretty!

Amber says:

I love it – the colors are so great…I want to use Hope Valley in every quilt I make lately :-)

Alissa says:

Katie Jump Rope is like that too – she’s great about designing fabric that works for both genders. Love what I’m seeing come together with this quilt!!

Trish says:

It does look like a manly quilt.That will just make it more special to you.

whatupduck says:

Man, you are makin’ everything I need to see! I just acquired a bunch of “man” fabric and keep looking it over to make a man quilt. Glad you paved the way, thanks!

Corky says:

It’s wonderful and I love that you were able to incorporate the teal ‘eyes’ from the FMF line, they really catch the eye (no pun intended) I hope you finish it cause I want to see the binding!!

Elizabeth says:

Wait, you’re making a quilt for Almanzo from Little House on the Prairie? Okay, kidding aside, this looks fantastic! I’d have a hard time letting it out of my house too.

Donna Raagas says:

I think the design of your quilt resembles a collection of men’s handkerchiefs (but livelier)! Perfect!

Patty says:

Yes, I agree the color are perfect for a man.

Erica says:

My favorite colors! This is just beautiful Ashley!

aseemlylife says:

Oh I really like this. It is manly.

henny says:

Ashley,
    yes..it’s so manly to my eyes. Great job, thanks for sharing. I always read your blog (give me so much inspiration-thanks!) but seldom leave a comment.

cath06 says:

Hello,
    This is a perfect combo of colours, and I was dreaming of making a quilt with all these prints and colours.
    As here, in France, i do not have the possibility of seeing these fabrics, would you be kind enough to give the list of these (fantastic) fabrics and which colour
    I do not know if you understand me well, I mean I would like to have the names of the fabrics
    sorry to ask you this, and anyway thank you so much

krissy says:

The olive/yellow greenish color is wonderful– is that also part of the Hope Valley line? I just recently started reading your blog– your quilts are beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri says:

I think the title is cool, and fitting. I like your mix of fabrics with small prints, those with stripes and then the solids.

Natalia says:

I love this quilt! I love the colors you’ve used!! Very cute!!

Very nice Ashley!! Everything about it.

Kristin W. says:

Awesome! These are actually the colors used in my kitchen! (I have a manly kitchen, I suppose)

Kyla says:

ADORABLE!!! It is sooo cute yet appropriate for men. I don’t know what Ryans room looks like but im sure it will look good. I’m sure he would greatly appreciate it

emily says:

The colors you chose are stunning. Beautiful quilt.

Patty says:

Love reading your blog, there are so many wonderful quilts. I agree that the above quilt is great for a guy. Does the pattern have a name?

Lysa says:

So beautiful! do you remember the colors you used for the plain (Kona cotton?) fabrics?

31. Pingback: on the design wall… – Film in the Fridge

32. Pingback: I made pillows… – Film in the Fridge

Beth says:

Hi! I LOVE this fabric and the quilt design you used. Have you gotten it finished? Have a happy weekend!

Marianne says:

I love this and want to make one for my baby boy coming in July! Any chance you have a tutorial for the dimensions of the blocks?