happy friday!

Thanks for all the love for my new string quilt! I’ve been making a few blocks each evening… and now I just need to decide how big I want to make it.

This pile is the result of trimming up my blocks -

voile-scraps

They’re just too pretty to throw away, so for now I’ve been collecting all the scraps in a big zip lock bag. I’m going to have to come up with some project that uses really tiny scraps! (any ideas?)

And speaking of fabric, I’m still working on cleaning up my stash… I’m forever running out of room (maybe because I just keep buying fabric!), so I’ve listed a few additional pieces for sale in my shop.

gingham-and-tulips

(I had to make room for these… gingham and tulips – so spring-y!)

Also, if you’re interested, Amy has posted a little interview with me on her blog today. Head over here if you want to read it. Thanks Amy!

Hope you all have fun things planned for the weekend. I think I’ll be chained in front of the sewing machine (though that’s not a bad place to be!). I have a few quilts that need quilting!

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to happy friday!

Rebecca Ball says:

You might try columns or Chinese coins to use up the small strips. http://www.maryquilts.com/chinese-coins-quilts/ This link should give info.

kathie says:

I always use my scraps to stuff dog beds. I mean, I know you can’t see the pretty fabric, but it just seems to be a good use for the stuff I would throw away otherwise.

Felicity says:

How about one of those beautiful tiny Ticker Tape quilts by AmandaJean? http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2009/09/ticker-tape.html

Emily says:

You could make one of these tiny patchwork squares for the back of your string quilt. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1398 I’m not sure how well the interfaceing would iron onto the violle but it worked amazingly with just regular quilting weight fabric. And the squares turn out PERFECTLY matched up. :)

wendy says:

You should make some tiny houses like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/snuggledown/4326036684/in/pool-beeinspired
    You make a tiny colored house scene and surround it with tons of white to make a 15.5″ block. Then when you put them all together it’s a sea of white with tiny colored houses.

wendy says:

Forgot to say, you could also make a tiny baby quilt like i’m showing today on my blog!

Lianne says:

I would stick them on an unused lampshade or note book. Carry on the theme onto other things…

Tracy says:

I think you can iron them on to like freezer paper or something, then sew a bunch of lines across it and then have 1 piece of fabric that looks kinda patchwork-y.

andi says:

Felicity had the same idea as me.
    Amanda Jean’s ticker tape quilts are great for little scraps.

Kenzi says:

You could always do one of those wreaths where you tie the fabric into knots all around a wire hoop. Big or small they are super cute, and would look great in your sewing room.
    P.S. I love you quilts! You and several other quilt bloggers have inspired me and I hope to start my own quilting/craft blog soon…but then again I plan to start a lot of things “soon” :o)

Metanoia says:

I saw someone recently make tiny 4″ square scrappy sections then border each with a contrasting fabric. That may be a way to use even the smallest parts.

For myself I’m saving anything that can be cut into a 1.5″ square and not worrying about the rest. All the squares will become a chequerboard intersperces with black one day.

Terri says:

Happy Friday to you too! Sounds like you have great plans for the weekend, so I can’t wait to see what you have to show us on Monday. I have seen a few people use their scraps to make greeting cards, which are so charming and fun to receive. Or you could embellish a journal cover.

Natalia says:

Ashley-
    I am so glad that Amy had you as a guest blogger today! I really enjoyed reading about you and I’m really glad I was able to find your cute blog! :)

Shea says:

Two thoughts for your scraps…. you could use them to fill one of those lamp bases I’ve seen online…the ones that are clear glass and you can fill them with anything to fit the room’s feel. Or, if you want to make a quilt, you could use a pattern like the one I just finished. (recent post with pics on my blog) I just completed the Jewel Squares pattern from Kaffe Fassett. It took a looooong time, but it was so worth it. The scraps I used were pretty small!

Ellen Price says:

My mom keeps the little triangles she trims when she pieces star type blocks in a mason jar. She also keeps the selveges she trims wound in a ball in her sewing room. They both look really cute.

Jamie says:

These scraps would be perfect to sew on the moleskin notebooks in Joelle H’s Last Minute Patchwork Gifts. It would be gorgeous!

jennifer says:

What about a little block like this one to use up your scraps? The colorful points are perfect for your tiny scraps.

I made that this weekend and had to resist a serious urge to make 1,000 more. It’s so bleeding cute!

Lisa says:

I like the ticker tape quilt idea. I had forgotton about that quilt and I have just the scraps for it!! Love your new fabric, very cheerful. I’m having a giveaway at my blog for my birthday this week if you want to come check it out. Eight purty Fat quarters, wheeee!

Marcia says:

I’m working on cleaning out my sewing room and organzing scraps! Thanks for the inspiration!

whatupduck says:

I spent my weekend making a mini baby quilt, like Wendy shows on her blog, with the ticker tape shown by crazymomquilts, it’s fabulous!! BTW, I also used all my string quilt scraps. I’ll try to show it on my website soon!!

saripu says:

I love the vichy squares!!!

Kyla says:

hmmm there isnt much i can think of for a quilt but alll the fabric is very cute and im sure you will come up with a great idea and im sure if there is nothing to do Augusta will love the scraps!!!

Sophia says:

I’m making a maverick stars quilt from the trimmings of my string quilt. Looking great so far.

whatupduck says:

See my website for my recent baby quilt made with scraps from string quilt! Love it!