patchwork pillows

pillows4

I’m so pleased to welcome Scarlet Fig as a new sponsor! You all remember Laurie, right? She designs some of my favorite fabrics, and a couple months ago I had the opportunity to create the Animal Sherbet Squares quilt for her out of some of those fabulous fabrics. Well, Laurie’s done it again, and has just added two new collections to her line, as well as a new colorway of the Animal Sherbet line, now called Urban Circus. (you can read all the details on Laurie’s blog)

I snagged a few of Laurie’s photos so you could have a peek –

This new collection is called Modern Whimsy, and comes in the Park or Citrus colorway –

modern whimsy - parkmodern whimsy - citrus

I’m loving those swans, and the little pink rabbit… oh, and that little lamb! So perfect!

And here is the new colorway of the Urban Circus, in Grass… (ah, springtime!)

urban circus - grass

And then you must take a look at this new collection of three prints. I gasped out loud when I first saw those donkeys in rainboots… Wouldn’t this make a fabulous baby blanket or quilt?

donkeys in wellies

All of these fabrics are currently available through Laurie’s shop!

Speaking of Laurie and her wonderful fabrics, I had a few scraps left from her quilt, and since I’ve been trying to use up my scraps, I decided to make up a couple of pillows for a couch which has always been pillow-less.

pillows

I paired Laurie’s fabrics with some solids, and some other scraps, including a few of the purple and orange prints from Denyse Schmidt’s Hope Valley line. On the first pillow I made up some simple squares, and on the second, I pieced together some of the smaller strips and then cut them into squares.

pillows2

I quilted the front of each pillow with a few simple straight lines, and since I didn’t have any zippers on hand, I went for an envelope closure on the back. To jazz them up a bit, I even added piping! It’s kind of funny how impressed I am with myself when I make piping. I really think it adds the perfect finishing touch, and I’m always pleasantly surprised at how easy it actually is! I followed the section on piping in this tutorial.

pillows3

If you’re interested, Laurie still has this colorway of the Urban Circus listed in her shop!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to patchwork pillows

Katie B says:

Love the donkeys and the little lambs! I need to scoop up some of these cute prints.

Thanks for the link to the piping tutorial.

I was not aware of Laurie, her fabrics, her blog, or her shop. But I am now! I LOVE her work! The designs and the colors. And you have made fabulous pillows from her fabric!

Jacquie says:

I LOVE the design on these fabrics~ They are some of these best I’ve ever seen. They would make a beautiful quilt and I’m sure they are more than worth it but unfortunately they are a bit expensive for me. I’ll follow her blog though in case she has any sales~ :)

As soon as you posted your Animal Sherbet quilt, I immediately bought some fabric from Laurie. It is a bit more expensive but it is so unique and the colors so fabulous that I highly recommend it. I love the donkeys with the rainboots. Too fun!

Emily says:

OH MY! I am LOVING these pillows, SO tempting to go and buy her fabric! Thanks for the inspiration. I too need to get brave and do some piping one of these days!

Leanne says:

As soon as I saw your quilt made with Laurie’s fabric, I knew I had to have some. It is such nice fabric – like some of my favourite stuff ever.

Now we are collaborating on making some fabric to recover my dining room chairs – think her itty bitty chairs with a chocolate background and robin’s egg blue and white chairs – to absolutely die for.

Laurie is a total sweetheart and her fabric is delightful. I think that I pretty much will always have some of her gorgeous fabric on hand (when I am not sitting on it eating dinner with my family).

Now to order more to make some pillows – thanks for another great inspirational idea, Ashley.

nod says:

Love, love, love the greens and blues. Never heard of Laurie but I’m off to check out her shop. I love that you and others are sharing instead of just hoarding all this good stuff!!

Amber says:

Just sent her a convo – those fabrics are SO cute! And thanks for the link to the piping tut…it’s always intimidated me!

Alexis says:

Great fabrics- and pillows! I just added her Etsy shop to my favorites- those donkys and lambs are just too cute!

Frogdancer says:

Thank you so much for that link to the piping. Some couch cushions are on my “to do” list. This tutorial just made them move up the list a bit!

Ashley. Your work has once again left me a bit breathless. I absolutely love the way you put your patterns together. And the diagonal quilting on the pillow is so unexpected and lovely. The pillows are beautiful!

I thrilled to be a sponsor! Thanks to everyone for the really nice words and emails about my patterns. And thanks for popping over and visiting my shop!

kerri says:

those are such cute pillows! the fabrics are amazing!! now i’m itching to get some for myself. :)

Joanna says:

Must get this fabric! My husband loves lambs, birthday present-CHECK! Thanks :)

Patty says:

The pillows look great. Thanks for the link for piping.

Shannon says:

What marvelous fabric! And the piping definitely does add a great touch to the pillows. :)

turtlewon says:

Sweet thing, you’ve done it again. Love the pillows — my couch is pillow-less as well!

Wendy P says:

Laurie’s fabrics are so adorable! Wish I was rich. I’d order one of each!

GingerW says:

Love the pillows! Do you sell any pillows at your store? (I guess I could go over and look myself!)

Sue says:

I really like the fabric. Thanks for showing us what’s new out there in fabric land but $34.00 per yard is a bit much for my budget. I do enjoy your blog.

Kyla says:

THERE SOOO CUTE!!!!! I LOVE them!! I can’t get over the little animals and there adorableness! Sorry I haven’t commented in a while but i had mid-terms all week and my life was CRAZY!!! I had like no time for anything!!! AAHHH! So glad its over with see you on Sunday.

Rosebudquilter says:

Absolutely adorable pillows and this fabric is sooo cute.

angela says:

wowsers! your quilts are amazing. i’ve just started to learn how to quilt and you have provided some wonderful inspiration.

Tamar says:

Oh, I LOVE those fabrics and the quilts you’ve made with them! Thanks for telling me about this!

sunwon says:

Beautiful pillows patchwork !!! Love the fabric combination!!!