solids!

My stash of solids had gotten way out of hand. I can’t really find a good way to store them, and I found that I was consistently buying solids in colors I already owned (but couldn’t find!). So I spent a little time this weekend folding and organizing them.

One bin for my Moda Bella Solids -

moda-bella

(purchased from the Fat Quarter Shop)

And two bins for my Kona solids -

kona-solids

(purchased at Pink Chalk Fabrics and Fabric Shack)

If I had been a bit more motivated, I might have even organized them more completely by color and maybe even further by hue, but I think this is good for now.

Let’s see how long they stay like this!

(oh, and for those who might ask, I don’t think I have a preference between the Moda and Kona solids – I just like having more variety, and sometimes one line has a slightly different hue…)

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to solids!

rosemary says:

I love reading your blog and especially this entry. I was wondering, how much do you purchase of the solids? do you purchase 2yds, 4 yds? Thank you.

Erin Kellogg says:

These are so pretty arranged like this! You must feel so inspired by them now.

Chelsea says:

They are so fun all piled together! I tend to get Kona solids because I can buy them at my local Joann Fabric’s and use the 40% off coupon that comes every week in the Sunday paper! Hey if I save a few bucks there, I can put that extra cash away for my next trip to the LQS!

Alice S says:

Wow! I would love to have a rainbow of colors at my fingertips to work with.

Georgia says:

Inspiring! I love seeing pretty fabrics arranged by color.

Cristin says:

Chelsea I agree! But sadly, I think Ashley has a much better selection of Kona solids than my Joanns store :-)

amanda says:

So yummy. Aside from the amazing designs and wonderful use of all the awesome fabrics out there, I think the way you choose and use solids in your quilts is what I like best about your work! I often forget about solids…when they’re often just what a quilt needs.

Krystyn says:

Oh fun fun fun…I have a question if you don’t mind…I’m new to sewing and wonder if you can explain the difference in the solids you have there…I keep hearing about Kona solids…Is the Kona at JoAnns acceptable for quilt backs or should I purchase from a fabric shop instead? *so confused*

Miri says:

It must be the New Year-I just finished organizing my fabrics, including my scrap bins! Great collection of solids!

Suzanne says:

It looks like you have just what is required for Oh, Fransson’s Paintbox Quilt Along.

Michelle says:

I too am interested in what quantity you buy fabric to “stash.” I’m fairly new to quilting so I usually only buy for a specific project, but would love to start building up a stash. I love your work!

• 13
      admin says:

I typically buy 1/2 yard cuts, since I’m usually using them for quilt blocks. Over time though, I’ve found several favorites, and I tend to buy more of those – usually 2-3 yards at a time, because I like to use larger portions of those colors for either sashing of the backs.

Jodie says:

WOW! Beautiful. I don’t think I have a single solid piece in my stash! I just rarely use them in my quilts. But your photos are inspiring – maybe I should branch out a bit?

wendy says:

That’s crazy! I have like three solids.

Audrie says:

Look at all those beautiful solids! I have quite a few Kona solids but nothing quite like that! My stash looks like that for about 5 seconds, then I dig into it hehe

Jessica says:

Thanks for this post! I am just starting to build up my stash and haven’t really considered solids. I’ll be on the lookout for the Kona at Joann’s (I get a teacher discount there on top of coupons – nice!) Thanks also for sharing where you purchase your fabric online. That’s very helpful. Love your work!

Jackie says:

Kona is my preference and more are coming into the shop this week! Love all the colors, just beautiful!

Danielle says:

I love it! I’ve recently started shopping for solids, thanks to your quilts for inspiration:-) Incidentally, I LOVE reading your blog. I can’t help but check it daily.

Kim says:

I love solids- Kona, chambray, shot cloth. I found some of the Gee Bend fabric on line. It looks interesting but I want to see some face to fabric. I really like making the modified bento with solids- bright and poppy.

Andrea says:

how behind am I??? I only just discovered Kona & Bella solids from my recent jump into the world of blogging. Sad to say that my local Joann’s doesn’t have much in the way of variety where hue is concerened!! Of course, I used to like my stash until I started to blog and now you throw solids in the mix?! Poor me, this is going to require purchasing MORE fabric!!!

Terri says:

Wow, you have a lot of solids! I really love working with solids, so I wish I had a bigger selection to choose from. They can go so far complimenting all sorts of other fabrics.

Carla says:

You can never have to many solids. All so beautiful!

Cindy says:

Wow, thats a lot of solids. how nice and organized they are now:) i always get so crazy over the prints when i buy fabric that i forget how important a selection of solids is. i need more. i love all your quilts! i am working on one right now and i am free motion quilting every other square. i can only do a few squares a night because it makes all my muscles tighten up, ha. truly, it makes me so nervous, hoping that will change with practice.

Debbie says:

So beautiful! My own colletion is growing, but not nearly as lovely as yours.

oooh they are so pretty. How do you keep them so tidy? ;-) I love solids too…so much, that I’ve challenged myself to a personal project – use all 221 solids of the Kona line in the year of solids quilts. Seeing your stash inspires me even more – now I need to build up more!

Kyla says:

Ok soo some might say that this is crazy the amounts of fabric you have but i get that you want a variety. Good job organizing and i hope that helps you buy less doubles of colors.

Kelly O. says:

Hi there,
    I just thought I’d point out that Whittle’s fabrics sells bella solids for $4 a yard…

just in case you need anymore :)

jaybird says:

now that is a collection!! i was so happy the day i got my moda bella solids color chart… of course nobody else in my house understood!

31. Pingback: do you have a favorite kona solid? – Film in the Fridge