a whole lot of flea market fancy… in a quilt (finally!)

FMF-quilt-top

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that Flea Market Fancy was the line that got me hooked on fabrics. Almost two years ago I received a tiny bit of the green seedling print in a scrap bag and immediately fell hard for it. At the time, it took me a while to even figure out what line it was and who had designed it. Since then I spent far longer than I should have collecting the prints from the line. (Many many thanks to those of you who provided tips, swapped, or even just generously sent along some extras — you know who you are! — I very much appreciate it!)

I’ve been using it sparingly in many quilts, but I’ve finally bit the bullet and decided to make a quilt out of the whole line.

FMF-quilt-top2

I decided to model it after the Good Folks quilt I made for my sister, using large squares of the Flea Market Fancy prints and mixing in a few blocks which are made up of the print paired with a corresponding solid. It’s pretty big and I’m so looking forward to curling up with it on the couch. What’s kind of funny though is that despite my love of this quilt top, I still cringe a bit just thinking about the quantity of FMF I used up in this quilt! (and I bet I’m not the only one!)

fmf-3

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to a whole lot of flea market fancy… in a quilt (finally!)

Whitney says:

Oh, but it’s going to be so fantastic, you can’t possibly think of it that way! Besides, getting to see and use it every day is far better than visiting it in its tub every once in a while. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Cristin says:

Totally worth it in my opinion! You get to keep it and enjoy it every day!!! Don’t regret your decision :-) Its just lovely!

Jaime says:

LOVE!!!!!!! Would you elaborate on the design a bit? I have been mulling a FMF quilt over so months and this is just perfect, perfection! Just awesome Ashley!

Melissa L. says:

What a wonderful way to use them all!! Just think of the hours you’ll spend on the couch with it, looking it over, again and again! I’m ESPECIALLY glad you’re keeping it for YOURSELF!!

Wow, wonderful fabric. I’m off to Google to find out more about it!

Sarah M says:

Worth overdoing – hope you have a blast with this one & looking forward to photos of the completed work. Happy New Year!

Alissa says:

Soooo pretty! Fabric is for sewing and you’re keeping this quilt, so don’t worry about how much you’ve used! Just stop and gaze at the quilt anytime you feel a pang…

Ooh! I like this one! I think it will be worth it. Now you have your own secret stash of this line to keep you warm and cozy!

Faith says:

Oh man, it’s so pretty! Why oh why isn’t that fabric still made???

Megan says:

I love it Ashley! I jumped into my FMF stash too and it feels soooo good! Can you provide the dimensions you used on the blocks with the solids in the middle? I would love to whip up this pattern someday, it looks fabulous!

Genevieve says:

LOVE it! and I love the pattern you made for it, I’ll be stealing that idea at some point, I think. but I know how you feel about the mass use of such a hoarded fabric in one place for just your own personal use. I’m having those issues and thoughts about a rather large Munki Munki quilt I have going on right now.
    but keep ‘em coming. you’re quilts ROCK!

amisha says:

i cannot get over how beautiful it is and how well all these prints work together!! you are not going to regret it for a moment… it’s going to be SO nice to curl up with this one :) you’re giving me the courage to do the same with my precious FMF stash… i have been using bits and pieces in other projects but too nervous to make a whole quilt from it.

Amy says:

It’s beautiful Ashley. I’m glad you finally did it. What good is the fabric if it’s folded on a shelf? Can’t wait to see what you do for the back.

I totally agree with Alissa: fabric is for sewing, so instead of having it stored away in your stash, you get to enjoy it all together whenever you feel like it! Gorgeous. And WHEN are they going to reprint this line???

Audrie says:

I find it absolutely difficult to cut into my favourite fabrics too so kudos to you for taking the plunge!! I still have my fingers crossed they’ll reprint FMF!

lesleyandsara says:

Ashley,
    it is too beautiful for words. eye candy!!! i love that you used a simple design and large pieces of fabric to really allow the eye to appreciate the FMF fabrics! awesome!

yeah!! I too am making a FMF quilt, for my bed! I can’t wait to get started on it, I aleady have all of it cut out, now I just need to sew…I too went with a square that is the center of the block then a contrasting print around that square! I hope to have it done and off to the quilter so I can have it on my bed by spring, so colorful and happy, congrats!

Erica says:

OMG, I cant wait to see a pic of this one in its entirety (HMM not sure how to spell that). Simply Gorgeous.
    You inspired me to make a string quilt and I finnaly got around to starting it. Im not using same fabric throughout for the middle strip (didnt want to feel I was copying Too much). Its browns blues greens and reds. It is my favorite project to date , Thank you for your inspiration.

Erica

Kyla says:

SO far it’s GORGEOUS!!!! I LOVE it. The fabric has suck cool patterns. It looks great.

isa says:

LOL… I feel the excact same way about some of my fabric. I just used some of my favorite tula pink ladybug fabric in a dress for my little one, and I couldn’t help think that when she grows out of it I can reuse the fabric in a quilt :-)
    Look forward to see the entire quilt!

Kaye Prince says:

It’s going to look absolutely fantastic, but I am totally right there with you about feeling a slight twinge when using up that much FMF. I have a stack (that I received as a gift about a month and half ago) of it sitting, just waiting to be used but I haven’t been able to bring myself to use any of it yet!

wendy says:

Those colors are so vibrant! When I cut into my favorites, it’s only for quilts I intend to keep. I just tell myself I will get to look at them OUTSIDE of my fabric closet for once.

corrie says:

oh no, now everyone will be bidding up the prices of the few remaining bits you can find online! It’s just gorgeous, well done and well done on being so brave to cut into it and use it all!!! love the colours!

Corrie:)

Laurel H. says:

Yay for you–for deciding NOT to hoard this precious fabric any longer. I need to take a lesson from you on this. It’s my guess that whenever you snuggle under this fabulous quilt, you will smile, and be glad that you made it.

Amber says:

It’s beautiful – you’ll be so happy you cut into it all once it’s done and you are snuggling with it!

jacquie says:

it’s going to be with you forever! i say that every time i cut up another piece!

Meg says:

I’m not cringing a bit! You’re one lucky girl to be curling up under that much glorious fabric!

You should have it made into a quilt and wrapped around you and I can bet you will enjoy it more every day!!

Terri says:

I don’t think I ever owned any of this fabric collection. Nice to see it all in one quilt like this. Until it gets reprinted, it will be nice to have the collection in a quilt to treasure and preserve.

Jane Swanson says:

Beautiful, Ashley! What a fantastic way to curl up with this great fabric!

susan says:

i can’t wait to see this quilted… so fun :)

33. Pingback: a flea market fancy quilt for me! – Film in the Fridge