hope valley quilts 2 & 3

Thanks for all the great comments on my hope valley quilt series! And a big thanks to my family for being willing to hold the quilts up for photos (I lucked out and caught them on a surprisingly warm day (warm for December in Vermont, anyway…) while they were waiting to get snow tires on the car…)

hope-valley-2

So here’s the second quilt of the series, as signified by the two squares at the top!

hope-valley-quilt2

On this one, I decided to keep the four quilt blocks close together, using just a tiny bit of sashing to separate them. I placed them in the lower corner and filled in the rest of the quilt with Kona Snow.

hope-valley2-back

The back of this one is my favorite, I think. I wasn’t sure about all that orange, but once I added the white on either side I really loved it.

hope-valley-2-back2

That tiny strip of the purple floral print really does it for me. Totally.

I quilted this one with random straight lines, which I drew on with a washable marker. To add something extra, I went for a double line on a few of these lines. Love!

hope-valley-3

And then we have the third in the series… I love the color of this one. Purple was never really one of my favorites, but it’s definitely growing on me!

hope-valley-quilt3

I knew I wanted to use the purple as the background color, so I added a thick white border to each block to make them pop.

hope-valley-3-back

There’s a bit more purple on the back, along with pieces of the remaining prints. I quilted this one on the diagonal in one direction using randomly spaced lines. I love the randomness of it, as well as the not perfectly straight lines.

They each measure about 35″ x 40″, give or take a bit. I’d love to hang them as a series, but quite frankly we just don’t have the wall space! So they’re listed in the shop instead…

hope-valley-x-2

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to hope valley quilts 2 & 3

Jackie says:

Just beautiful additions to your series!! Love how you put the 2 and 3 blocks to signify their position in the series.

Sue in France says:

I would so appreciate your advice!! I made a string quilt from your tutorial – thank you so much, so very good and well explained. I used block fabrics from my old stash in pale-ish shades of pinks, bieges, blues, browns and lilacs, with a white centre strip. All done, but I haven’t got the means of machine quilting so I’m hoping to hand quilt it. What form do you think it should be please??? It’s not too big, but very pretty and I’m longing to finish it. Please help!!! Tahnks you so much. AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Crystal says:

They really are beautiful! How do you baste your quilts? I always seem to get some puckering and I hate it. But your are so nice and pretty so I was going to ask how you basted. :D I really like them!

Really beautiful. The backs are gorgeous, and the little square markers are such a fun touch!

Megan says:

These are truly stunning, and the backs are fantastic – you can call them reversible!

Wow! I am really loving the quilts in this series! I use to HATE purple… but it’s so popular this season… and now it’s become one of my favorite colors! LOL! Gorgeous work! Wish I had some extra $$$ and I’d snatch one up for myself! :)

Barb says:

You make the most stunning quilts. Orange and purple are so wonderful together.

anina says:

Wow, they are stunning!
    You are so prolific. I wish I could get my you-know-what into gear and get going.

Shannon says:

I love them, but especially the “pixels” and the backs. Oh, and the quilting! Gorgeous!

Alissa says:

Beautiful! I can’t wait to get my hand on that Hope Valley! Happy new year!

Tracey J says:

The quilting is incredible! Thanks for the upclose look/inspiration. :)

Flaun says:

Your work is absolutely incredible. I am in envy and awe of your ability to design. I wish I could do as well as you!

Suzanne says:

The random straight line quilting looks so neat on the back!

Kristina says:

They’re gorgeous, I love the colors! The purple one especially is just soo pretty. I think the quilting patterns work really well too! LOVE the idea of ‘counting them off’ using the tiny squares.

Erica says:

I truly love the (numbering system) you did, What a great way to make each “complete”. Your sister is very LUCKY , That quilt is definatley in my top three of all your quilts.- and that is saying something because I fall in love with all of your quilts :) . A very Happy New Years to you,your family and your loved ones.

Tif says:

they are gorgeous!! i really love the purple, and i’m not a huge fan of purple in general. ::heart::

Karla says:

What kind of batting do you use? I need to get it! I can’t find a batting I’m happy with.

I love how your fabric wrinkles with whatever batting you use. :)

Kyla says:

Once again there adorable!!! And you have a very loving and patient family to be willing to stand and hold the quilts for all the photos. You did a great job!

19. Pingback: hope valley quilts 1 and 4 – Film in the Fridge

jaybird says:

beautiful!! the orange on the back is perfect… but hey orange is my fav!

meg says:

These quilts are gorgeous! Modern, crisp, colorful! Thanks for the inspiration.