animal sherbet squares quilt

animalsherbet2

I’m excited to show you this quilt… mainly because these fabrics are just so fantastically fun!

You may have seen them before – they’re designed by the insanely talented and creative Laurie Wisbrun of Scarlet Fig. I’ve been a long time admirer of Laurie’s fabric designs – I was immediately in love with her original design, birds on chairs. And since then I’ve watched as she’s added many new colors and new prints to her expanding line (many of which are available in her Etsy shop).

Laurie recently got some very exciting news – several of her designs have been licensed by Kaufman fabrics and will be printed and available in 2010. She writes “my first collection with them will feature some of my patterns with birdies, couches and chairs. I’ll be selling those for another month or so and then Kaufman will pick up distribution next spring. Some designs will be carried by Kaufman and some will be retired. So if there’s one that you are interested in, let me know and I’ll make sure you can get some!”

animal-sherbet2

The Animal Sherbet prints, as used in this quilt, will be available through her shop for another few months. There’s a possibility that Kaufman will add these prints as well, but for now, if there are any you have your eye on, let her know! She’s offering a special for anyone who finds her shop through my blog. For the next two weeks, you will receive 15% off your order – just make sure you make a note that you found her through my blog and she’ll issue a refund for 15% off your fabric.

animalsherbet3

Anyway, back to the quilt… Needless to say, I was thrilled when she contacted me about making a quilt for her out of her animal sherbet line. These prints are so fabulous — sherbet colored elephants, giraffes and rhinos, along with some wonderful corresponding stripes and dots.

We briefly discussed design ideas and sizes, but if you know me, you know that I don’t follow direction well. Luckily, Laurie also said that she’s a fan of surprises… so here you go Laurie – your big surprise!

animalsherbetquilt2

This design is of course inspired by Kaffe Fasset’s Jewel Squares quilt. I just love the mix of different sized squares. However, I certainly didn’t have the time for an entire quilt of squares! So instead I decided to do these smaller groupings of squares, surrounded by a sea of white. I wanted something that would really show off these prints, and I think the various sized squares do that nicely. It also gave me the opportunity to add in a lot of my favorite solids!

animal-sherbet

The back makes me laugh a bit… you won’t find it as funny, but we actually originally discussed a simple charm square quilt as a possible design, so the back reflects a bit of that — a design which certainly would have been easier and also much faster!

animal-sherbet-back

I really like the addition of a little of the solid green on the front of the quilt, so I decided to use it on the back as well. (didn’t I tell you you’d be seeing this great Kona Artichoke again and again?!) The binding is the stripe from this line, which really works perfectly. I always love stripes for binding!

animal-sherbet-back3

It’s washed and dried and looks oh so cozy. It measures approximately 52″ x 67″, which I think is a great size for a throw. And as much as I wanted to curl up with it on the couch, I refrained, and instead it’s on its way to Laurie. Thank you so much for letting me play with your gorgeous fabrics, Laurie! I hope you love your new quilt!!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to animal sherbet squares quilt

To say that I gasped when I saw the quilt wouldn’t do my reaction justice. It is FAR more beautiful than I ever imagined. Your eye for design is really quite special and I am SOOOO thrilled with how the quilt turned out. What a fantastic surprise. Never in a million years would I have put artichoke with those patterns and it is perfect, perfect, perfect. THANK YOU and I really, really love it. I will now go sit impatiently by the front door and wait for the post man to deliver it!

Faith says:

WOW – This is one of my favorites so far! How great would that be on a bed in a little girl’s room? I love how you incorporated the white instead of doing all blocks. I wasn’t really drawn to the original quilt but I am sold on yours. Adding to favorites!

amandajean says:

it’s very cute! i love the sea of white. and the back is adorable!

Erica says:

Wow! I love this design….super inspiring!

this is a wonderful quilt! I might just have to put it or rather a similar one on my list of to do quilts — there are only 2 ahead of it in line!

Liz says:

I love it so much! I had seen Laurie’s chair prints, but not these. I must get them! It looks like you used some shot cottons as solids–yes? I think the white really shows off the prints more than having the front be all squares. LOVE IT!

Julie says:

Everything about this is fantastic. Everything! Thanks for the link to Laurie’s shop — your innovative work showcases hers beautifully.

Jamie says:

Gorgeous, as always! I wish I had the creative mind you do! Maybe some day when I have time to sit and ponder quilts without the kids demanding my attention at the same time!! I’m going to check otu Laurie’s shop next. Thanks!

Nikki says:

I’ve looked at a lot of quilts in the last few days but this is the coolest one I’ve seen. It’s gorgeous! You showed great restraint, I would have taken it and curled up with it for sure! Beautiful work with beautiful fabric.

Madison says:

What an amazing quilt to showcase fantastic fabric! Looks beautiful…

Angie says:

Very nice with the white and groupings of block. I love it!

Crystal says:

This is so beautiful! I can’t stop looking at it! I’m constantly in awe of your creativity and eye for design.

Amy says:

You did it again, I love this! I really love the quilt “pattern.” I can see that idea utilized with quite a few “collections” of fabric!

Sherri says:

Wow -this one is gorgeous! I’ve cut myself off from buying more fabric, but honestly might have to give in to this. Elephants and giraffes that cute at 15% off? How can one resist?

marty says:

Ashley,
    I really like the random placement of squares against the white. When I quilt with others I often hear
    “symmetry, it has to be symmetrical” I guess you’ve proved them wrong. This looks great.
    Maybe we can create symmetry in imbalance because this looks really great.

Suzanne says:

Those fabrics are adorable and your quilt is amazing! I love the random placement and varying sizes – Wow!

anina says:

This is an absolutely stunning quilt!
    Wow!

qsogirl says:

oh wow do i love this quilt. everything about it!!!

Jenean says:

WOW!!!! What a gorgeous quilt! I love every quilt you make, but this is really special. Great job!!

Unbelievable. You are amazingly creative. I ADORE this quilt. The fabric is part of it…but your design and placement…swoon. Thanks for the constant inspiration.

I am stunned again! I really love the design with all the white in between!

Denise says:

I love the colors too. The addition of the artichoke solid is great with the warm colors. Your eye for color is fantastic. I wish I had such a great, and creative, eye for color.

What are the names of the other solids?

Katie B says:

Beautiful! You did a great job of showing off her fabrics.

Ashley, you never ever EVER fail to amaze me. EVER!!!!!

Shannon says:

I just had to tell you that not only do you have a great eye for creative quilts, you have a great eye for photography. I’ve been looking through your photos of the quilts on the header and love the shots! Thank you for inspiring me with every post. I have a long list of blogs I look at, but yours is by far my favorite.

This came out amazingly well! I agree with Laurie, you have a wonderful eye.

kathy says:

fabulous! (as usual)

Amber says:

Ashley – it is absolutely amazing – you are just a genius – that’s all there is to it! I love this quilt!

Rachel says:

This is so absolutely gorgeous. You must be so proud of it, and she must be completely thrilled. This is one of my very favorite quilts I’ve ever seen!

staci says:

I have to say that this is one of my favorites! The random block placement and the fabrics are great!! I’m sure she’ll love it!! (And, if for some reason she doesn’t I could give it a very good home ;) )

Sarah says:

Fantastic job! The fabrics are amazing and would have looked great in a charm square quilt. But you took the whole thing to an entirely different level with the design of the quilt. It’s amazing! The layout makes the blocks pop and brings so much interest to the fabric. Great job! Great eye! And ditto on the great photography!!! (I’m so glad you decided to keep posting!!)

I love this quilt as well. It may be one of my favorites, and that’s saying a lot given how much I love your quilts! The clusters of squares is just such a brilliant idea. And the white makes them pop. The back is aewsome!

Audrie says:

This quilt is amazing! It might be one of my favourites you’ve ever done!! Gorgeous colours, love the pattern (front AND back!). Nicely done.

beth says:

I love it!! Like how you bunched up the blocks in an unusual way and have that white space in there.. GREAT!

Meg in CT says:

Oh wow, this is exquisite! I love the clusters of squares and the way they draw my eye around the quilt. So refreshing and different. I’m going to have to echo several of the other commenters and say that I think this may be one of my absolute favorites of your work. (And I don’t blame you for being tempted to keep it, either!)

mjb says:

This is great – I love seeing fabrics featured that I haven’t seen a million times already.

Mary says:

Her fabrics are really awesome. I am so glad to know that she has been recognized by Kaufman.

Karen N says:

I love how you have grouped squares together, just like animals do in the wild. Looks great. The backing is also dynamite.

Frogdancer says:

That quilt is a masterpiece! She’ll be thrilled.

Kyla says:

I absolutely love it the animals are soo adorable!!! I can’t get over it. the colors you used are so bright and vibrant. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kate says:

I just got the kona chart in the mail this week…the various greens are so hard to go past…beautiful.

PS: Love the quilt ;)

Amy FItzy says:

Gosh this is really beautiful! WHat a lovely quilt!

Kathi says:

Possibly my favorite thing you have done so far, if that’s possible! Truly delightful!

giselle says:

I am in complete awe… I LOVE this quilt! I so badly want snuggle underneath it while reading a book. If only you had shipped it to me instead of Laurie ;)

Angie says:

This quilt is just too cute for words! I love how you are able to use a modest amount of key fabrics and accent them so beautifully with solid colors and white AND great design. This one just may be your “masterpiece” so far. What a treat for Laurie to receive and for all of us to see! Don’t know how you do it but keep up the great work!

Sara L. says:

Wow, that is GORGEOUS. I am with you on the stripes for binding, they are my absolute favorite. And that fabric! Wow. Did I say wow? Yeah? Thought so.

Mandy Foot says:

Gorgeous, was the first word to come to mind, I love this quilt. Thanks for Showing us.

Elaine says:

Can your work get any better? This is just another stunning quilt. Still waiting to hear when or if you plan to publish a book of your patterns.

This might be one of my favourite quilts of yours, quite unique in the layout.

Zarina says:

I love the placement of the top of the quilt. You do love white spaces, do you?

Jennifer says:

I cannot get over how fantastic this quilt is – I mean, I love your quilts but this is super-gorgeous! And I think some of that fabric is going on my wish list from Santa ;-)

Debbie says:

Love the quilt! Thanks for introducing us to Laurie’s fabrics – wonderful!!

sharon j says:

That is one gorgeous quilt! Love your design and the way you have used her fabrics. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us.

Andy says:

I’ve been eyeing Laurie’s fabrics for a little while now. Your quilt is gorgeous!

CJ says:

That is one of the greatest quilts I have ever seen. Absolutely incredible.

Julia says:

I love love love this quilt. It would be perfect in my one day to be baby room. It is painted bright orange and those fabrics would be perfect! I might have to go to her shop and buy some fabrics before they are gone. Great job!

Tonya says:

This is my favorite quilt of yours! And, that is saying a lot, becuase I can’t think of a quilt that you have made that I don’t like. This quilt is just awesome.

Rene' says:

Wow!!! Gorgeous fabrics and awesome quilt!!! Love it, love it , love it!!!

Julie says:

Beautiful fabric and a gorgous quilt. Love it!

2hippos says:

This is an incredible quilt. I want to make one like it for myself! Just to get a sense of your process, how much white fabric did you use? And did you plan it all out ahead of time or make squares and then place them until you liked the arrangement? Thanks!

I didn’t think it was possible, but the quilt is even more beautiful in person. Swoon-worthy, stand and stare at it beautiful. After I stood on my porch tapping my feet while the postman dug through his truck for the box, I took the box, galloped inside and ripped the package open. Wowzee. It is A.Mazing. We are having our first big cold snap of the year and I see a weekend filled with that quilt and my couch. Thank you so much Ashley!!!
    –laurie

hey laurie, can i come over and have coffeeeeeeee under your cozy GORGEOUS quilt. It’s fantabulous. Ashley this is a thing of beauty. i didn’t think it was possible to love Laurie’s work more than i already do. You have proven it’s possible and then some!!!!!!!

Evelyn says:

That is the most fantastic quilt I have seen in a long time. Just wonderful!

Jen S. says:

This is absolutely gorgeous! What beautiful fabrics! And, as usual, what a fabulous quilt design, Ashley! I am going to check out Laurie’s shop right now!

Sharon S says:

I do love this quilt and the way you have show-cased the feature fabrics. Thank-you for sharing it with us.

Melissa L. says:

Ashley, this is by far my most favorite of all your quilts!! Its just SO fun! I can’t wait to get started on one just like it!

~Melissa

Jen says:

I LOVE this quilt! The layout is absolutely amazing to me. I’d really like to try something like this with some blocks I have done. i was just going to sash them in white but after seeing this I think this concept is MUCH better! But I’m at a complete loss! How do you do this? an you give me some tips on how you add the white? I’m looking closely to see if you did big sections and then sewed them together but I just can’t tell since it all looks so random. It’s gorgeous and I really want to try something like this; but I have NO IDEA how to do it! any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

Ellen says:

Not sure how I missed when you posted this one, because I check the blog alot. I think, and this is saying something, that this is my favorite quilt yet. I am strongly resisting the urge to begin sketching something out at work. Love your designs and inspiration!

73. Pingback: Fairy Tales Quilt « Fresh Lemons

74. Pingback: pull up a chair… for the stacked seating quilt – Film in the Fridge

Melanie says:

Thanks so much for the inspiration, your quilt helped me to create a special birthday quilt for my sister-in-law. I posted about it at the following link:
    You are an extremely talented individual and I so enjoy seeing all the gorgeous quilts you create and share on your blog. Congratulations on the soon to be arriving wee one!
    Thanks again,