i heart echino… and patchwork

I continue to collect Echino fabrics, even though I’ve only used them in one quilt, the large Echino log cabin. I enjoy just looking at them, and even have a few stretched over canvases as art in our home office.

But I haven’t been motivated to make another quilt with them… until this week that is, when I saw this one. I love it! It’s my favorite mix of patchwork squares with great printed and solid fabrics, and I knew I had to make one. Right then. (Even though I really didn’t have time for such things!)

echino-patchwork-quilt

So I pulled out my Echino stash and selected a few boyish prints (my shop is sorely lacking in boyish quilts!) – some cars, scooters, planes and dots, and then I added in a few corresponding solids. I remembered that I also had a great piece of linen that I won from Rashida in the first Sew Mama Sew giveaway day (looks like that’s coming up again in December!).

echino-patchwork-quilt2

I used 3 1/2″ squares and sewed them all together to make this small baby quilt top that measures about 37″ x 45″ or so. I’m waiting on the backing fabric (a solid from Kathy, of course!). I’m hoping to have time to get it quilted by the end of the week. We’re taking a little road trip this weekend, and I’d love to have a binding to sew to while away those hours in the car!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to i heart echino… and patchwork

Whitney says:

How fabulous! I’m so glad you found such great colors for a boy quilt that aren’t so strictly “BOY”. Can’t wait to see it finished…

Sarah says:

Very cool… LOVE the planes and motorcycles!

Faith says:

Very cute! I have a couple of those scooters and I’ve been wondering what to do with them.

Audrie says:

Lovely! Echino fabrics are too cute… I especially love the scooter. I’m jealous you can do any kind of sewing in the car… I get car sick if I even try to search for something in my handbag lol

Heidi says:

I’m always looking for cute boy fabrics! thanks for sharing!

Kim says:

Looking forward to your ROAD TRIP!!!

Meredith says:

So cute! I just started following your blog a few days ago and it is one of my favorites. I so look forward to the inspiration I find in your posts!

Chelsea says:

Holy cute. Love it. I can just picture a little boy in his teeny chuck taylors dragging this behind him!!

Kristin W. says:

I like!

This one made me literally go “OOooOO!” when I saw it. I love the colors!

By the by, I don’t comment often, but I love your blog and I am *so* happy you are posting again. I check every day and I definitely missed seeing your posts those few days you were gone. You’re one of the few bloggers I find consistently inspiring. Your hard work (’cause I know blogging is time consuming, as is quilting) is very much appreciated by this Austin resident :)

kate says:

A lovely quilt for a boy but one that will grow with any little man. Gorgeous x

Elizabeth says:

The colours in this are so punchy and fabulous! I love it.

amanda says:

You’re pretty much killing me.

Jackie says:

Beautiful quilt! I love to do binding in the car too!!

Kyla says:

I LOVE IT!!! Its absolutely adorable!!!! The little cars on the fabric are so cute! The colors are soo completely different but they combine really well

erica says:

Thanks for the link! Your quilt looks amazingly colorful, very nice.

Carmen says:

Your quilts are an inspiration!! May I ask what you put between them? I’ve been looking for some organic cotton quilt batting and wondered if that’s what you use or not.
    Thanks Ashley! Everything’s beautiful! ;)

amanda says:

aha! so this what the echino is intended for!

gill says:

really inspired by this quilt.
    i’ve just finished my 1st quilt and am thinking patchwork curtains next. i like the colour scheme/fabric choice in your quilt – i’ll keep that in mind when i plan my curtains. thanks for sharing.
    gill

Tex Montana says:

Since you are running out of quilt storage space, I’ll store this for ya on my couch. You’re welcome!

marinalva damiana alves gil says:

que tabalhos maravilhosos.

marinalva damiana alves gil says:

Eu estou aprendendo,pena que comecei aprender agora se soubesse que era tão apaixonante já teria começado.

Devron says:

I started piecing quilts a little over a year ago, and I thought i was doing pretty good until I saw what you had accomplished in the last year. You are definitely a natural. I am obsessed with quilting blogs and i must say yours is at the top of my list. Thank You for sharing!