block party quilt top

block-party-blocks

You may recall that for my month of the Block Party quilting bee I requested blocks in the style of Denyse Schmidt’s Drunk Love in a Log Cabin. I didn’t have any particular colors in mind, so instead I just sent out a different selection of fabric scraps to each bee member. These talented ladies really came through for me – I was amazed and thrilled with each of the blocks I received (click the links to see a few of the fabulous blocks that were made).

blockparty-quilt-top

I decided to go for a queen sized quilt (since half the blocks would be made for me!), so for a few months now I’ve been adding to the pile of blocks. They’re all complete now, and I’ve arranged (and rearranged!) them on our living room floor until I found a pleasing arrangement. It was a bit of an obstacle course there for a while, but I’m happy to say that I now have them all sewn together into this lovely quilt top. I can’t say enough about it. I won’t even try. Just know that for the last several days all I’ve been doing is admiring it.

I’m thinking of a solid aqua for the backing. I might even splurge on my favorite Amy Butler solid. I think this quilt is worth it, don’t you?

blockparty-quilt-top3

A huge (huge!) thanks to the ladies of block party – Alissa, Kristin, Jacquie, Elizabeth, Ashley, Sarah, Lisa, Rashida, Nettie, Josie & Megan – for the absolutely stunning blocks you all sent!!

And speaking of Block Party… have you heard the news? Alissa and Kristin, the co-hosts of this quilting bee, are writing a book! You can read more about it here. All the women from our quilting bee have been asked to contribute, and additionally, the Block Party blog will be changing over to a quilt along. If you decide to follow along, you may have a chance to have your block in the book as well! Keep an eye on the Block Party blog for more information.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to block party quilt top

Amy says:

That quilt came out really spectacular. And I love that each block has a story to go along with it. Aqua sounds perfect for the back.

I hope you’re well.

Audrie says:

I saw it on Flickr last night and thought it was absolutely gorgeous! Love how varied the blocks are. I think aqua on the back is a fab choice. I just joined my first quilting bee and I’m so excited :)

Amber says:

I absolutely love this quilt – it is beyond amazing….So, so wonderful!!

Jennifer says:

That is a beautiful quilt! I love all the colors. :)

this quilt IS amazing. and I’m really looking for the along. Most of my favorite quilts have been block exchanges and quilt-alongs.

Sherri says:

That is so beautiful Ashley! Love it!

kate says:

A gorgeous quilt! I think the fact that more than one person contributed to it’s creation make this quilt even more special. That’s the thing I love about quilting bees. Looking forward to Bee Imaginative starting.

I would splurge on the AB aqua! but I really shouldn’t be consulted on such matters as I always seem to be splurging on fabric!

kerrie says:

That is just beautiful, makes me want to make one for the bed in our room but I know that will never happen!

Suzanne says:

This is so wonderfully scrappy! Love it!

Look at you with such a big quilt! It looks great in your room and the solid would work so well. I think your binding choice will make al the difference.

Allison says:

l.o.v.e. it………….just stay in bed and stare at it all day. :)

Cheryl says:

I of course love the quilt! I’d be snuggling under that every night!!!!

I’m wondering what color paint that is on the wall… IT IS PERFECT!!!!!!!

Linda says:

Hi, It’s so good to see you again! I sure miss you when you’re not here.

The quilt is beautiful. You did a great job of arranging them. I think the aqua would be the perfect fit.

Oh, by the way. I have purchased the Kona Coal to make some napkins for Christmas gifts. For the patchwork, I’m using some Charm Squares I have. I will send pictures when I get them done. Just have to wash the Kona, then I’m on my way! 8-)

Molly says:

Wow! I really love this quilt. So bright and colorful and young! Very inspiring . . . .

Robyn says:

Absolutely go with the Amy Butler aqua for the back – so worth it to honour all the lovely work put in on the blocks!

Tex Montana says:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Tex says:

Oops~ I meant to add aqua would be cool, or orange.

Julie says:

That’s is beautiful! I can hardly wait to see how you quilt it.

Rene' says:

This is an absolutely gorgeous quilt!!! All the blocks are so unique. I think the Amy Butler aqua backing will look great. Looking forward to seeing the quilt a long and new book.

Megan Kay says:

That is just so beautiful! I can’t get over it, I want one just exactly the same! Everything you do is inspiring but this one is just breathtaking! You must be so pleased, and yes splurge on the Aqua AB, it is so totally worth it! xx

Claire says:

Love It, Love It, Love It…as I love all your quilts….and i”d splurge on the backing only if I’d plan on keeping the quilt for myself, which I think you plan on doing.

lauradodson says:

it is gorgeous. it looks so yummy on the bed and i would for sure purchase your splurge fabric for this quilt. wouldn’t hesitate a second. this is an heirloom!

magikquilter says:

Love the idea of an aqua backing and am glad you are back from your blog break.

Just in time to give you some good news! This quilt which you placed in our flickr group Fabric Patchwork and Quilting is our QOTW for this week. I am even more thrilled now after reading about your blog break and the reasons for it!!

Congratulations!

Kate says:

I’m so glad you’re back. You have been missed.

Kyla says:

I LOVE IT!! the colors are great and i think that blue would make a great background.

Kanina says:

Wow, it looks so great and cozy!
    Welcome back, you were missed :-)

GingerW says:

Looks fantastic, and glad you are back. Thought you might have had a little H-ween inspired post (scary quilt failures? how to remove chocolate from treasured quilts?) but this was a good treat!

Ginny says:

Love the quilt. Just wanted to share that Whittle’s Fabric has great buys on fabric. Most are $3.50 a yard. I don’t work for them or anything, but I have purchased from them and had a great experience. Just thought I would share in hope you can save money on your backing.

Lana says:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!
    You are back! I love what you have been working on – They look great!
    oh, and I am glad you were able to take a break, but I am even happier you are back!!!!

amandajean says:

it’s FANTASTIC!!!!

It’s just so fun. I love it when each block is fun of fabrics you could just look at forever!

Kelley Hodges says:

how talented you are!!! I want to be just like you when I grow Up!lol

34. Pingback: Opportunity Quilt – “Block within a Block” » Ventura Modern Quilt Guild