a break from quilts…

…in order to make baby dresses! (and no, this is not an announcement — sorry Mom!)

ittybittydress2

The aqua Calypso dress is actually for my sister (and no, she doesn’t have an announcement to make either!) We’re both just enamored by anything teeny tiny and cute. Actually, my sister Whitney doesn’t sew, but she is a Heather Ross fan (and a fan of a mystery giveaway!) so when Heather announced her studio sale, Whit signed herself up for a small package, hoping for some clothing. She did get a cute skirt, but it wasn’t her size, so I suggested using the fabric to make up a little dress.

ittybittydress

I used the Itty Bitty Baby Dress pattern, by Rae, of MadebyRae. I had seen so many of these cute little dresses (there’s even a Flickr group for them!) and I knew I had to try making one. I made a test version out of the red hippo Ikea fabric. It went together so perfectly — I guess I didn’t need to test it first (but now I have a cute little dress too!)

ittybittydress4

Honestly, what more can I say? They’re adorable. Morgan’s been putting up with my craziness, but only just barely. He reluctantly answers ‘yes’ each time I say “aren’t they cuuuute?” And as you can see, he was really enjoying the photo shoot…

FFA-dress4

So if you’re in the market for a baby dress – either just to admire (like me!), or to put on an actual baby, or maybe as a great gift – I highly recommend the Itty Bitty Baby Dress pattern. Cute cute!

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to a break from quilts…

Cristin says:

I LOVE itty bitty dresses too – if I happen to have a little girl in March… watch out! I’ll be making a boatload of these for summer!

Whitney says:

SO FREAKING CUTE!!! thank you so much for making something so adorable. you’re the best!

i hope someday i have a girl. otherwise, i’m pretty sure my baby boy won’t know that he’s wearing a dress — it’s going to be used regardless.

Faith says:

So cute!!! I hope one of you has a girl one day to get to use those. :-)

Stephanie says:

The HR Calypso is my favorite fabric of all time. I hoard whatever I can find of it. I’m thinking eventually it will go on a quilt, but I’m just so scared to actually use it because once I do, it’ll be gone. The dress is adorable.

Audrie says:

Those dresses are soooooooo cute!!! I have the hippo fabric and now I’m thinking I should use it for a dress for my niece! The blue fabric is perfect as a dress btw… gorgeous!

Sherri says:

I’m so glad you like it Ashley! Your email was too sweet! And thanks for the mention here too! I wonder who will get that other dress? I’d make more…but I find it soooooo hard to part with that HR fabric!

Dena says:

These dresses are so cute. I love the fabrics.

andi says:

Such cute dresses.
    Is it, perhaps, time to get woking on a little model to wear one of those?
    ;)

Crystal says:

Very Pretty. I would like to email you some pictures of two quilts that I have finished. I made them from your motified Bento Tutorial. If you would like to see them. They are not as pretty as yours but it will do.

Kyla says:

ADORABLE!!!!! i cant get over how cute these dresses are!!!!! i see that you put the hippo fabric to better use then i. it would not have looked as cute if i had made it a skirt for myself and i am pretty positive i wouldn’t have as many friends or a boyfriend if i had worn it to the first day of school. i would have a very unique reputation. they are absolutely adorable!!! too bad you dont have someone to wear them. im pretty sure augusta has grown out of that phase. im glad morgan also enjoyed it as much as you..haha. the blue one is made out of a beautiful fabric

Suzanne says:

So cute, and much faster to make than a quilt!

12. Pingback: teeny tiny baby pants | Film in the Fridge