california dreamin’, in stripes

california-dreamin-stripes

I showed you a glimpse of these fabrics earlier in the California Dreamin’ mini quilt, but here you’ll be able to fully see Jenean Morrison’s beautiful fabrics from her new line, California Dreamin’. She wanted a simple striped pattern to show off the fabrics, and I was happy to oblige! I had such fun playing around with the order as well as the widths of the stripes to make these two beautiful quilts.

two-quilts4

I started with this one because I was immediately drawn to the pinks and oranges.

pink-striped-quiltpink-striped-quilt-back

I was certain this one would be my favorite, and it was, up until I made the second quilt in this colorway –

blue-striped-quiltblue-striped-back2

I particularly love the back of this one… echoing the stripes from the front, but just in small sections  – (and yes, the solid is Kona Olive again!)

blue-striped-quilt-back

Once they were both done I couldn’t decide which I liked better! (Ok, I’ll just say it — I love them both!!)

Typically when I know that I’m making a quilt for someone else, I don’t usually have a problem letting go, but in this case I had a hard time. I procrastinated sending them to her, and even contemplated holding them hostage for good. (I’m kidding… sort of!)

Here I am pretending that they actually belong to me — oh wait, what? You don’t take your someone else’s quilts out for a stroll?

twoquilts

Ah… anyway, you’ll all be pleased to know that I did ship them off, and Jenean should be receiving them any day now. And then they’ll hopefully be making their way to Quilt Market. If anyone happens to be going and should happen to catch a glimpse, snag me a photo, will you?!

california-dreamin-stripes-

Thanks again Jenean!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to california dreamin’, in stripes

Brenda says:

OMG, they are both so beautiful! I was thinking of making a quilt for my niece using oranges and pinks, and I love these fabrics. I feel an order coming on …

Julie says:

WOW, these are both knockouts! Slight preference for the green here, only because it’s my favorite color — but those fabrics really shine in long strips like that. Thanks for the inspiration.

nettie says:

wow! beautiful. I love the back, and may have to make one like that myself.

Lisa says:

Those are beautiful! I love the green one and I really like how you did the stripes on the back of it.

Erin D. says:

Oh my! Just… oh oh my. These are absolutely fabulous. Apparently, despite having sworn off buying more fabric this month, I now MUST HAVE THESE. :D

Thanks for sharing, as always!

Angie says:

Now look what you did! – I’ve got drool all over my keyboard! . . . stunning pieces!

Sherri says:

Those are both absolutely GORGEOUS!! Love them. Great work – as always!

Faith says:

Take the quilts and run! LOL They turned out just perfect!

Jane Swanson says:

L*O*V*E these quilts! You have showcased the fabrics perfectly and beautifully.

Valerie says:

Those are just gorgeous, you’ve definitely made me want to buy the fabric!!

Jackie says:

They are both beautiful. Love the pieced backs!

Nichole says:

Beautiful fabrics and beautiful quilts, Ashley. I love the wonky stars and have that one on my wish list to make. Need to do it soon. I’m trying to stretch to do more wonky stuff and venturing out of using fabric collections together exclusively. Its just that they are all so pretty together, I hate to break up the group. I can’t believe you’ve only been quilting a year! I’ve been quilting for 10 years and we’ve probably made the same number of quilts. Thanks for the inspiration here – one of my fave blog reads for sure!

Amy says:

The back of the green and blue version is BRILLIANT!!

Jenean says:

Ashley, these are AMAZING!!!!! I can’t wait to get them! I LOVE the backs of both of them… what a wonderful surprise! These are so gorgeous!!! Thank you SOOOO much!!!

Sally says:

What wonderful fabric. The quilts, as usual, look perfect.

I can understand why it was hard to let these quilts go. They are awesome, as are the fabrics of course. You did a good job showcasing the fabrics (is that a correct word?)

Cristin says:

I think BOTH quilts are gorgeous! I may even love the back more than the front :-) Looks tedious, but well worth it, eh?
    Really gorgeous, you’re always an inspiration!

sandra says:

I understand you! They’re both gorgeous!

Great job! Too bad you can’t go to market and see them on display.

Megan says:

oh my god, I am deeply in love with these quilts. I may need to leave my husband.

They are both gorgeous! I can understand your dilemma in letting them go. So pretty!

These quilts are fabulous. My favorite picture was of you taking them for a stroll…..I’ll definitely by adding this fabric to my collection.

amandajean says:

they are lovely! it’s fun to see the same quilt done in a different colorway. nice work, again!!!

Erin says:

I love both, but especially the back on the second! Another beautiful piece(s), Ashley!

Audrie says:

They’re gorgeous, and I love what you did with the backs… esp the green one! Don’t blame you for not wanting to let them go!

Lana says:

OH WOW! is RIGHT! Just one question…how do you finish so many so fast! That’s the amazing part…and of course the green one is my fav!
    Good job Lady!

Jen Eskidge says:

I LOVE the chunky little strips on the back!

There are beautiful, I could see why you had a hard time letting them go!!

CJ says:

Those are sooo pretty! They turned out great.

sarah says:

I. Want. Those Fabrics. Too!!!!
    Love the quilts. Love the fabrics. Must sew up all the fabric I ordered this summer FAST so I can justify ordering more.

Dena says:

Both are beautiful quilts but I’m partial to the pink and orange prints. Lovely!

Adrianne says:

I don’t blame your for holding onto them a little tight. ;) I love the green color way especially. I like how you varied the width of the stripes. The back of the pink one is wonderful!

julie says:

OMG!! they are stunning Ashley. Good job. Beautiful fabric range.

Tracy says:

I think I’d have had a hard time letting go of those babies, too! I think that may be my favorite fabric line.

corinnea says:

The fabrics are gorgeous and your use of them is perfect.

Gorgeous. I’ll definitely snap some photos for you at Market. I should have thought to ask you to do a quilt for me! Next time, I guess….

Frogdancer says:

This is so fun. (And girly, which is of no use in this family of 4 boys *sigh*)

Incidentally, how do you post a link on your Flikr posts? I wanted to do that when I posted about my string quilt but I couldn’t see where to do it.

Frogdancer says:

Oops.

Meant to say, I just love the backing on the second one. It has a sense of humour.

Cricket says:

Oh, Ashley, you have outdone yourself. I love all your quilts, but the back of that blue/green is just stunning.

aimee says:

Just stunning. What more can I say?

Terri says:

Cool! The stripes really are a great way to feature all the fabrics. I think I like the blue and green one the best. Love that picture of you walking down the road!

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

I can so understand wanting to keep those two lovelies!!

Jackie says:

They are beautiful! I will snag you a picture at market for sure!

Pippa says:

They’re absolutely brilliant quilts! I only recently found your blog, but I’m a definite fan and check it out every day for inspiration such as this.

Will this be the free pattern available on the free spirit site?

Kyla says:

the second one is just as beautiful as the first!!! i ADORE both color sets. the pink is very fun and lively while the green reminds me of fall. i hate this cold weather that is coming with the fall season. i m glad that you were able to emotionally de attach yourself form that quilt and ship it off. i am sure that shell appreciate it.

Britt says:

somebody help me, I’m drooling! A truly wonderful, perfect use of the fabrics!

Julie says:

You’re amazing. Every single quilt you make is gorgeous and I can’t get over how quickly you put things together…..I’m in awe. :)

Tammy says:

Beautiful quilts! I’ll be on the lookout for these at Market!

Jill says:

They’re beautiful, Ashley. I’m always so smitten with your work. Do you have a long-arm that you do all your quilting with?

Sophia says:

SO pretty Ashley! I love them both too!

jennifer says:

Wow, you are always so creative with your backings. Really inspiring!

Suzanne :) says:

These colors are wonderful. I enjoy looking at your web site!

So cute! I’m working on a stripey quilt for Heather Bailey right NOW! So funny, I was trying to decide how to quilt it, decided to “peruse” your blog, get some ideas, and I came across this! Love it. So, if you don’t mind, I will go ahead and meander. Was going to to some crazy wonky stripes, but I’m most comfortable with meandering. Thanks! Too bad we both can’t go to market to see our quilts at work , guess we’ll just have to be happy with photos :)

57. Pingback: 2009 was a good year – Film in the Fridge

58. Pingback: True Up » Archive » Q & A: California Dreamin’ by Jenean Morrison

Everything is so beautiful, it’s breathtaking! Congratulations! Blanka.

Diane says:

Hi Ashley,
    I love your blog and have been reading it for a long time.
    My neighbor’s daughter came over the other day and asked me to teach her how to make a quilt. I was thrilled that she asked me to do so. I showed her several blogs with photos and she picked out your “California Dreamin’ as the one she wants to make. I am trying to branch out from “traditional” quilts to more modern quilts. My questions to your is, what proportion did you make your strips, did you draw it our on paper before you stated??
    Any suggestions you could give to me would be greatly appreciated. And again, I love your blog and the beautiful quilts tht you make.

61. Pingback: FITF: more about strip quilts – a mini tutorial | Film in the Fridge