another fall quilt…the mini version

fall-mini-quilt3

Remember my fall quilt top? I love the colors so much that I decided to do a mini version as well. Mainly, it was so I could try out some new (new to me, anyway!) quilting. Have you seen the quilting that Lauren of My Aunt June does? I’ve long admired it, and I’ve always wanted to try it out. If you haven’t already, you should go watch her video which explains how she does this type of quilting – it’s quite entertaining.

fall-mini-quilt2

I used a grayish-brown thread, and just started sewing away. I used my bigger machine (because it’s way faster!) and just the regular foot. (For those who might ask, this machine doesn’t have a walking foot, but it didn’t seem to matter.) I didn’t drop the feed dogs, just pulled the quilt a bit from side to side as I moved along the quilt. Sometimes I went all the way down the length of the quilt and then turned and went the other direction, and sometimes I went just a part of the way down and then put the needle down and flipped the quilt around to go in the opposite direction.

fall-mini-quilt

I love the way this quilting looks! As Lauren mentions in her video, there was one brief moment when I wondered what I was doing to this quilt, but then once more of a pattern emerged, I really was quite taken with the look. I’d love to do it on a larger quilt, but I’m not sure I have the patience! I’m going to keep it in mind though… maybe a good project for one of those long winter days…

For the back of this one I used a solid green. This is Kona Olive, one of my new favorites.

fall-mini-quilt-back

It’s bound in a tan solid and measures 17″ x 20″. I’ve been spending some time just admiring it.

And now for sale in the shop!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to another fall quilt…the mini version

Nicole says:

It’s beautiful Ashley! I am in awe that was done with a regular foot…great work!

Cristin says:

Really pretty! What are you going to do with it? A fun little wall hanging perhaps? Perfect for fall no doubt!

Mary says:

Beautiful. I love the quilting on it.

It looks beautiful! I’m assuming that even though you use a regular foot, that the feed dogs are dropped so that you can go forward and back easily? I can’t imagine spending that much time putting the machine into back stitch. At least not on my machine. That would not be fun.

erica says:

This looks great! I also admire the quilting that Lauren does! Very, very nice.

Audrie says:

I absolutely love the quilting you did on it!!! Very very lovely!

Sandy says:

I was wondering the same thing as someone above. Did you just drop your feed dogs to go back and forth easily? I tried this with a free motion foot, and it looked ok, but it was very loose in sections! Thanks for sharing.

CJ says:

Wondering too why do you use a regular foot. I am assuming too that you have to drop the feed dogs still. Great look!

Kelly O. says:

thank you so much for posting this! I don’t have free motion capability and love the hap hazzardness of this!

I love the quilting as well. And the green is a really gorgeous color. It’s supposed to be 101 degrees here today. Ugh. I long for crisp fall-like weather…quilting weather…..

Terri says:

I adore this so much that I can’t wait to make one this weekend too! I love the colors and your new quilting lines are fabulous. Don’t you love the satisfaction you get with mini quilts?

lauren says:

Aw! One of my quilting heroes mentioning me, you have surely made my day! And, I LOVE this quilt. I had already saved the picture of the pieced top into my “inspiration” file! Thank you so much for your sweet mention! You are awesome! ( Ok, I’m starting to feel like a 13 year old at a Ricky Martin concert in 1997. But you are awesome.)

Faith says:

I *love* that quilting! Going to go watch the video now!

amandajean says:

that quilting looks amazing! i’ve only done that on a smaller version of a quilt for the very same reason.

Randi says:

I absolutely love the quilting on this. Fab job!

Tory says:

This quilting on this is fabulous! Love, love, love it!

Beth says:

OMG! That quilting look amazing. I am inspired to try something new!

Kim says:

LOVE IT!!!!! Gotta try this soon!

Jackie says:

I love it! It is really gorgeous and the quilting is perfect!

Allison Lu says:

I just discovered your blog and it’s amazing! You make such wonderful quilts–I’m quite in awe of your skills. I’ve never seen quilting like this before, but I love it already.

Sara says:

This is great! I might have to try it on a bento box quilt I’m making – thanks for the links in your post :)

jacquie says:

love it ashley…i’ve been wanting to try lauren’s quilting too….this turned out beautifully.

Kate says:

I love the look of this quilting Ashley! It’s fantastic that you are always trying different techniques…and they always seem to look perfect – first go!

janel says:

I adore this quilt and the one in the post below and OBVIOUSLY all of your others too!! Thank you for your inspirations!!!

Karin says:

It looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing a new technique. I will definitely try this.

barbara says:

Ohh Ashley I love the quilting on this one. Any tips???

Kyla says:

the colors are soooo perfect for fall!!!!!! i love it !!!!!! though i am sad to hear that summer has ended. it is great that the leaves and quilt match. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! i love the random parts of cows

Kyla says:

I see were really into minis….i love the quilt!!!! the stars are GREAT colors. very vibrant. the pink back works reallly welll. i think the white name quilt works well. one again i LOVE it !!!

I love the quilt and the quilting. You must have an enlist supply of Heather Ross. Because just about all your quilts use it and I love it. I use mine so little I just look at it. What a shame. I did breakdown and use a little bit of the fat quarter that my daughter give me that she won on one of your giveaways. The pink VW buses. I love that fabric I’ll post a pic when she gets it quilted for me. Thanks for such a great blog. I just love seeing all your crafts.

Anne says:

I love your quilts, and every one is so unique and lovely, the color combinations are wonderful. I can’t believe how many quilts you have made…it would take me weeks, if not months, to complete one of these!!

31. Pingback: Fall Patchwork for Our Table « Terri’s Notebook