fall-inspired patchwork squares

fall-quilt2

The weather here has turned decidedly Fall-like… and quite suddenly. Last week we were swimming, this week I’m pulling out wool sweaters. I should know by now that that’s how it goes here in VT, but yet each year I’m taken aback by the abrupt change. Instead of lamenting the change, I decided to embrace it with a nice fall inspired quilt. I pulled out a bunch of fall colored fabrics from my stash -lots of olive greens, golds, browns and some orange.

it-feels-like-fall

I decided to go for just a simple patchwork square design. After looking at the fabrics for a while, I decided the orange was too bright for the look I wanted, so out went those prints and in came some other solid greens and browns for some contrast. I cut a bunch of 3.5″ squares, and then layed them out and moved them around until I was happy with the layout. Here’s where I’m a bit jealous of everyone with their design walls – here’s mine… the floor. I figure all that bending must be good for something though!

fall-quilt-pre-sewing

(I’m sure some of you are cringing to see that sometimes I can’t even be bothered to iron my fabrics before cutting!)

I sewed them all together into this quilt top –

fall-quilt

and I love it!

And for now, I feel ok about Fall as well… providing I have a nice fall quilt to keep me warm!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to fall-inspired patchwork squares

Faith says:

I think it looks great! Although I can’t believe fall is already coming – we barely had a summer! Hey, my design wall is the floor too! LOL

Cristin says:

Great fall colors! Well done on this quilt top – I think every quilt addict (such as ourselves) should make a quilt to keep each fall, and cuddle under all winter long :-)

Whitney says:

GORGEOUS! I can’t wait to see how you decide to quilt it.
    And speaking of fall, are we allowed to wear boots yet? I couldn’t decide this morning, but opted for flip flops…although my toes are sort of wishing I had done the opposite!

I’m still hanging on to summer. The leaves are changing, but it’s been so warm.
    Good call on taking out the oranges. They would have turned this into sherbet.
    Oh, and I’ve been using our king sized bed as a design wall lately. You do what you have to.

Cara says:

Looks great. I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t break out the iron!

Crystal says:

I like your quilt, nice and simple! I love Fall, it is my favorite season, but I am glad that you are embracing it! LOL

Bear says:

I hear you re: ironing. But your quilts always look great, so it seems to be working for you!

Kaye Prince says:

Beautiful! I love the colours you’ve used; maybe I should make a fall quilt too!

aseemlylife says:

Your fall has come more quickly than mine. I’m preparing to make a fall quilt as well. My daughters and I are all making one for the other to cover every season. Winter is done and fall is next.
    Yours is lovely

Barbara says:

Ashley, I just get thinking that I’m getting better at quilting and then I peek over here and am on my butt again . . . haha! Amazing as usual.

Alissa says:

Love love love it! Makes me wanna work with fall colors even though it’s still hot as hell out here in LA. As for no design wall… Not sure if there’s any way to remedy that in your space, but if so, it really is wonderful! Even if it’s in your living room, I like to think of it as always changing art! Always pretty colors on the wall and when you finish one quilt, the next is up there!!

Laura says:

It looks great. We had similar weather here-yesterday at lunchtime it was sweltering, today it’s cool and crisp!

Erin says:

We had the same abrupt change her in Delaware, though the temps did spike this weekend. I’m very content with cool weather. I LOVE FALL. =) My design wall has always been the floor or my queen size bed. Crawling around on the floor is just another part of the process.

I really like your blog and would love it if you visited mine!

Kate says:

If I lived in VT I would have no problem ironing all your fabric for you! Love to iron! :) Miss ya, Ash!

Audrie says:

Love the colours on that quilt! My floor’s my design wall too lol

Mary says:

It says “fall” with all those wonderful colors.

Terri says:

My design wall is usually the floor too. At least we get in some stretching, but I’m tempted to buy some knee pads. Love the colors you chose! I have some fabrics laid out for a fall table runner. Just need to make time for it.

Jessica says:

I guess you’re not alone — I lay all my quilts out on the floor too. I like how this turned out. Sometimes a very simple design can be so pleasing.

Erika says:

very cute design I like your choice of colors

Jan says:

Love it. We’re still roasting here.

Dolores says:

LOL, some of those look like eyes.

Jacque. says:

Simple and gorgeous! Great colors…all my faves, for sure!

Kyla says:

LOVE IT!!!!! the quilt is georgous!!!! i hate that it changes sooooo quicklyy!!! i also havent gotten used to the change!!!! on a side note: i wore that shirt you were fighting me for and got a ton of compliments..thanks whitney….i cant wait to see how it turns out!!!

Kim says:

So not what I think of as “Ashley colors,” but of course it is beautiful and I love it! Yeah!

Jackie says:

It looks great! We are definitely having the same weather here in CT. I haven’t yet embraced it. LOL!

blair says:

*absolutely* gorgeous! I am so inspired by all those little squares, I love the way the colors play together too.

Sarah says:

I LOVE that you don’t iron religiously. And I use the floor too. Even for cutting and tracing patterns. It’s easier, actually, than using my big table

aimee says:

Really nice, Ashley! Can’t wait to see how you quilt it!

May Kristin says:

Love your colour choice!
    …and this comes from a person who actually isn’t a fall colour lover! LOL!
    Look forward to see it finished!

Suzanne says:

Sounds like you might need to pull out the crock pot and make soup to go with your snuggly new Fall quilt.

Deanna says:

Isn’t it interesting how the weather influences our work?! I have a friend who is suddenly compelled to make a chocolate quilt–talk about combining two great things! Here is a picture of it: http://myheritagefabrics.wordpress.com

amandajean says:

what fun patchwork! i love how “just plain squares” let the fabric designs pop.

Juice says:

Absolutely gorgeous! What a beautiful way to welcome Fall.

Suzanne says:

I love it! I wish I could whip out a quilt that fast. The days are starting to feel very fall like here too and a nice warm lap quilt would be wonderful!

pamela says:

I have been “itching” to make a fall quilt. With the colors and utility of “fall for quilt”, what a better companion.

37. Pingback: Modern Quilts - another fall quilt…the mini version – Film In The Fridge

38. Pingback: True Up » Archive » Show Us Your Stash: Feels Like Fall

Nikole says:

I love your simplicity in the squares. That’s about all I can do. I’m sure if time permitted, I could do more. I’m starting a Woobie today.. simple squares sewen together. I make them for our deer camp guys. They are so warm and able to get used and dirty and washed and used all over again…. This year, my 12 yr nephew gets his. He aced his firearms safety… His will have a buck and doe on it. nice work.. love your colors!