munki munki quilt progress

I’m making progress on my munki munki quilt, albeit slowly. I’ve had a few other projects I’ve been working on, so these blocks have been on the back burner for a bit. Does anyone else have problems switching from project to project? I tend to work on several quilts simultaneously, but I’ve had a bit of trouble keeping the fabrics for each quilt project separate. I just bought a few more shallow plastic bins (the same as the ones I use to store my fabrics) and now I keep a separate bin for each quilt project. When I’m done working on one project, I put all the fabrics for that project, as well as the completed quilt blocks, in the bin and then I can easily put it away for a while. I think this new plan is helping to keep me a bit more organized!

Anyway, back to the quilt. Here’s what it looks like so far -

munki-munki-quilt-blocks

Originally I was leaning towards no sashing, but I want to make this one a queen sized quilt and when I figured out how many blocks I’d need (way too many!) I think now I’m thinking the sashing may be a good idea! I’ll still need a fair number of blocks, especially since these blocks are only 10″ square, but it seems a bit more manageable!

These are the latest two blocks I added -

munki-dandelionmunki-goldfish

I’m going to get to work making a few more, and then I might have to do a little fabric shopping… I may need a few other munki munki prints in these colors to add enough variety to this quilt… maybe these cute chickens?

This entry was posted in Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to munki munki quilt progress

Tiffany says:

Oh how I LOVE this one. I love the colors, the fabric patterns, and the block design! Are you winging it or are you following some kind of formula for the blocks?

erin says:

sewdeerlyloved on etsy has the chickens (and others) for sale right now…

this quilt is going to be beautiful! i hope you will be keeping it!!

Cristin says:

Really lovely blocks! I sort of have the same problem as you with starting a quilt.. then starting 3 other projects at the same time! In a perfect world, I’d START a quilt and finish it in a week… unfortunately, my world is not perfect :-(

And you should go for the chickens! The colors would go famously with the blocks you already have!

kerri says:

gasp! simply breath taking!!

Lise says:

I love it! I’m really inspired by your blocks…the big variation in strip widths, the pieced strips… Fabulous.

josie says:

Hi Ashley,
    I can’t seem to find an email address for you but I have a yard and a half of the pear munki munki fabric. It has two fade lines on it but otherwise it’s in good shape. I’m having a big fabric clear out and I’d be happy to pass it along.
    Josie

corinnea says:

Love this! It is already spectacular.

Sherri says:

Beautiful! Did you happen to get into Heather’s MISC sale?

Audrie says:

I really love the colours on the blocks!!! The chickens are really cute, definitely thumbs up :) Can’t wait to see this finished!

Bear says:

I can’t say it enough – the composition of your blocks is wonderful. I so look forward to seeing the final product!

Jessica says:

i love the fabrics and the block designs…i think it will look great with sashing…it’ll be amazing when it’s all done…can’t wait to see it…

darci says:

It is going to be totally gorgeous! those colors are right up my alley. (not to mention the prints hehe)

Julie says:

Such pretty blocks! I especially love the colors.

Juice says:

Gorgeous!

I have a similar problem keeping my craft projects contained. Mine are smaller scale, so gallon ziplocks generally do the trick. :)

Kate Dotson says:

I love the skinny dark lines and the way they draw the eyes across the quilt. The color scheme is beautiful.

Kyla says:

i love the fish fabric!!! the quilt looks great! cant wait to see it finished! i think the sashing will make it a bit more manageable. i only kind of like the chickens im not crazy about them but they will look cute with the other fabrics

aseemlylife says:

Very Very Nice. Can’t wait to see it complete. More than one quilt going at a time? Is there any other way?

Linda says:

Oh, my! I’m loving that orange block, orange being my favorite color, of course………… If you don’t know what to do with that quilt, I’ll send you my snail mail address….lol.

Linda

amandajean says:

very cute blocks, ashley! so sweet!

Dena says:

Nice progress on your blocks. I had a problem keeping all of the ‘parts’ to each project together and was always losing something and would have to replace it if I wanted to work on my project. To conquer this, I purchased some canvas totes and now as I buy something for a particular project I place it in a tote with all the other ‘parts’ to it. Works like a charm!

Selina says:

This is going to be a gorgeous quilt! I love it!

Jane Swanson says:

I love the way you put your blocks together. The composition is always amazing. And the Munki is just too adorable!!

Love the quilt. And about the organising, that is about the smae I do. But… sometimes I am starting a new project and no empty box. Than I take a plastic see trough seal bag and put the project I think will take a while before I get on in it. Those bags are in one big plastic container….

jaybird says:

ohh i like!!! slow can be ok.. take care of yourself!!

bear says:

In case you haven’t seen, this fabric would look great with your colors: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dalkey5/3912212117/

Sally says:

I love the blocks. I am always so impressed with your quilts.

Donnelly says:

This is one beautiful quilt!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day!

Dawn says:

Love these blocks! I’m working on a baby quilt. First quilt that requires “stitching in the ditch”. Do you have any favorite books you reccomend to beginners?

30. Pingback: Modern Quilts - websites of interest – Film In The Fridge

31. Pingback: munki in the middle quilt – Film in the Fridge

tisha says:

Ashley,

Love these quilt blocks. I am using them as inspiration for my block of the month with the Indy Modern Quilt Guild. Can’t wait to see what everyone creates!

tisha