string quilts might make you crazy

string-quilt

Remember when I showed you this and asked if you thought I was crazy to start another string quilt? Most of you nicely said that I wasn’t (thank you!). What I failed to mention though, was that these squares are only 5.5″ square.

And I plan on making a queen sized quilt.

Which means that I need roughly 400 blocks…

string-quilt-blocks

I’m at 85 or so.

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks. Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to string quilts might make you crazy

Pedi says:

Oh, I love string-quilts. I’m just doing one by myself – not with about 400 blocks of course, I’m rather new in this quilting-business… ;-) But I guess these small-sized blocks makes it perfect… Especially with the bright colours…
    Have a nice day,
    Pedi

Cynthia I says:

Question about string quilts. Are this made on a base, well not a base but are the strings sewn on to another piece of fabric? It looks like you have white at the center of each block. They look awesome. Best wishes on making 400!

kelly says:

I’m in awe of your commitment… :) Can’t wait to see this one done. Get to sewing, girl! :)

It will be so cool when it is finished!

That is why I’m amazed you paper piece them! Looking good so far.

Meghan says:

Are you still paper piecing at this scale?

Lisa in Oregon says:

Delurking to say, Your string quilts are what inspired me to start my own and I’m totally hooked – so I’ll enable you and say of course you aren’t crazy!

Alisa says:

Wow! It looks really great, but you do have a long ways to go. I don’t doubt you will finish it though :-)

Jackie says:

It looks great, love the colors.

Cristin says:

Ok, maybe you’re a *bit* crazy… but its going to look amazing, and it’ll be so worth it! Can’t wait to see it finished! (will probably be this weekend, at the pace you go!) ;-)
    Cheers!

Zarina says:

I am also guilty of making blocks that are so small for a full bed size quilt.

Marty says:

Ashley, I think you may be a little crazy however we are in the same boat. I am working on a king sized string quilt. I am using 11 inch squares and need to make 90 squares. I’m moving along fairly well. I started Aug 1 and have the goal of one a day. I’ve completed 30 so I’m ahead of the game. I love how it looks. It’s such a fun quilt to make. Thanks for your inspiration. If you care to see mine I will be posting it on my site under, you guessed it, the quilt section.
    Take care

Dolores says:

Good for you. We are all cheering for you.

Julie says:

As usuaI, love it!
    I just finished a string quilt top. I made my sqaures 8 1/2 inches (that’s how wide the copy paper was). I love the string look and yours always turn out so beautiful. How long did it take you to make the 85 squares you have done?

Joan says:

I love string quilts! I just followed your tutorial to make a pillow for my daughter’s dorm room. Thanks for the great instructions.

Yes, you have a lot of work ahead — but that quilt is looking so fabulous! It will definitely be worth it!

Wow – you are a machine! I’m astounded at how you churn these things out!

Emily C says:

I dearly love these string quilts…but 400 squares?! I’d be crazy AFTER that if not before!! Good Luck! It’s coming along beautifully

I made 6 for a bee this week – fun! 400 I think would be an overload for me :) over a year though is doable! I love your fabrics and colors!

Faith says:

I think it would take me 5 years to make 400 squares. LOL I can’t wait to see how it ends up!

Lori says:

I love this and, crazy or not I think it’s brilliant. I’m putting this idea on my list for a memorial quilt out of some of my Mom’s clothing. I’ve never tried this method but it looks interesting.

Jen Eskidge says:

Oh my goodness- 400~ Its going to be awesome.

Robin says:

They are beautiful! But, you might be a little crazy…I can’t wait to see all 400 done!

Annika says:

I still dont think you are crazy. Id rather say that you are a source of inspiration.

anina says:

Just take it one block at a time and don’t put a completion date on it. I have some 10-year projects and that just fine.

Marit says:

just lovely … all the pretty fabrics in one quilt

isa says:

Oh man, it might make you crazy, but you’ll have the most beautiful quilt in the cuckoo’s nest!!
    :-)

Suzanne says:

400 blocks? If anyone can do it, we all know you can…and I’d venture to guess we’ll all be checking back regularly to see the finished quilt.

Alissa says:

Ok so I’m gonna go ahead and say it.. Yes, you’re crazy!! Or at least you have the most amazing patience I’ve ever seen… Impressive!!

Kelly O. says:

Quilts are an investment of time, lots in your case :)

Holly says:

Sometimes crazy is beautiful. :)

Kristy says:

Wow. It’s making me crazy just to SEE that photo! How do your eyes feel?

Crystal says:

Holy Cow!! Okay your crazy!! But hey at least when your crazy you can make something so pretty!!! I am very very impressed!
    I am going to start making your modified bento quilt here soon for my son, he is so excited and so am I! Good luck with it! (As soon as I have some extra fabric I will try my hand at the string quilt)

Stefanie says:

I say this with love and admiration, you might be a little crazy *smile*

chris says:

omg. but…it’s going to be AMAZING.

Terri says:

I am so in love with these string- pieced quilts! This one is going to be fabulous. Keep going till you reach that queen size!

I’m in the midst of making my first string quilt. The paper-removal thing is kinda bumming me out, but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. Then seeing this post from you makes me feel great about it again. Tho I might try the muslin route vs. paper next time.

Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

Jennifer says:

Uhhhh, yep it’s official. YOU’RE NUTS! But I still love your quilts. :)

CJ says:

Ohh so you ARE crazy after all! :D It sure looks pretty though!

penny g says:

Crazy – isn’t that a required qualification for all quilters. There is something a little insane about looking at a room full of fabric and seeing only the ones you want to use to make a quilt and then repeating that process over and over until you are left with a box full of scraps that have to be used. Since we all live by waste not want not string quilts abound in the land of quilters.

Audrie says:

Holy crap! 400?! I’d go mad! It is very gorgeous though hehe :)

kreachr says:

Keep going!!! I’ve seen all your lovely pics of string pieced quilts, and am (almost) keen to make myself one – may have to increase the stash first though :-)

Kate says:

ok…400!?!?! Maybe it WILL make you crazy. Either that or it is REALLY cheap therapy…hee heex

Lisa says:

Looks amazing on a smaller scale! What a great scrap busting project!

Fulvia says:

I would be at 85 too … but that’s ’cause I’m already 50!

Patty says:

Woah. I can’t believe you’re going to do 400! I did about 12 ten inchers and was totally over it.

Kyla says:

i still dont think that your crazy just slightly addicted. im impressed you have the patience and time for it. good luck!!! cant wait to see it finished

Lise says:

Gorgeous. I have to do one! Not at this scale, but I have no doubt you’ll finish. You’re nearly 1/4 of the way there!

Theresa says:

Brave girl. I have been contemplating another but thought I’d go bigger. I’m only up to the collecting scap paper stage. You’re doing a lovely job…keep up the good work!

Erin says:

My god, woman. Such talent. I can only hope mine eventually turns out as beautiful as yours. Do you really just use whatever scraps you have laying around, or do you have a color plan in mind when you start?

Frogdancer says:

5.5 inch???

Ha! You’re only playing! I’m quilting one that is a Queen sized with 4″ squares.

It’s only taken since February to get to the quilting stage…. (I feel as if I’ll never get to sleep under it…)

sarah says:

love this pattern! may have to try it. :-)

Tif says:

lol! well, at least you’ll know we’re behind you every step of the way!! go go go!

Cindra says:

Okay…. maybe a little crazy, but it’s beautiful!

Katharine says:

I also am in the middle of a string quilt inspired directly by yours. I just looked at your tutorial, got out a whole heap of orange and pink and started sewing! My blocks are 8 1/4 inches though – the size of the copy paper and I might get bored and add a plain border around the edge. I’ve only done 10 blocks so far though….

j. says:

I’m resuming my string quilt today; mine is also queen sized. I’ve decided to not have the entire top of the quilt as string blocks, though…As I’ve completely tired of the process. I’m hoping to get finished with the top today, then tomorrow the back, then give it to someone else to do the quilting. That’s the plan, anyway!

Amelia says:

You’d better stop blogging and get back to the sewing machine, girl! Wow, that’s a lot of blocks. It is going to look just adorable though, can’t wait to see it come together!

Deb C says:

I saw on your tutorial that you are using random sized strips, but I am wondering if your center white strips are all the same size for every block (for when they meet in the center).

erin says:

this is terrifically fantastic!

jaybird says:

oh lord!! but it is going to be so beautiful!

62. Pingback: Modern Quilts - making progress? – Film In The Fridge

Barbara says:

I am just starting a string quilt using bright plaids (Madras types) and a purple central strip for continuity. I don’t know how to post a picture, or I would show you my first 4 blocks. so far I love it!! They are 10.5 inches square blocks, so 30 should do a nice sofa size.

amanda says:

i love it! That’s going to look absolutely incredible.

This is SUCH a cool quilt! And YOU are kind of my hero for attempting it :) Good luck!!!

66. Pingback: Modern Quilts - websites of interest – Film In The Fridge

erica says:

I would most likely start making much bigger squares to mix in. I am so impressed by your patience ( and your quilts).