where the quilts live

I’m often asked what I do with all my quilts. This might not be pretty, but I welcome you on this little photo tour of where the quilts live…

Let’s start upstairs in the guest room, where I store the stack that are currently for sale

quilt-stack2

Then a quick detour to our bedroom – our queen sized quilt on our unmade (I mean, yet to be made…) bed

queen-quilt

Heading downstairs… the Echino quilt lives on the back of this couch

echino-quilt

And in the chair next to it is the 9 patch I haven’t yet shown you (yay, I finally finished it!)

9-patch

And maybe now you’re thinking… “hmm… that’s not too bad… Just a couple quilts – nothing to be ashamed of…” Well, you haven’t yet seen this room, or this chair, which is positively groaning under the weight of all the quilts.

pile-o-quilts

I don’t even know what to say.

But there you have it, and now you know. I’m a quiltaholic. Quite possibly there’s a group for this?

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend! It’s actually going to be sunny and hot here so I have a beach weekend planned… and if there’s time, maybe I’ll work on a little of this, my next quilt -

hexes

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to where the quilts live

The photo of the chair with the quilt stack is beautiful! Look at all those sunshiney colors. You can’t help but smile when you look at them.

I am so inspired by your style and quilt work.

Alissa says:

Oh my gosh this makes me laugh!! And are those some more half hexes I see?? Enjoy the sunny weather!!

Laurie says:

You really nave a great way with fabric. I take much inspiration from your work. I finally decided on a quilt pattern: your Kaleidescope String! After lots of years of casual searching, I came upon that one, and made a snap decision that was THE one. Your tutorial was very easy to understand. I have 35 years of calico and assorted cottons to use. Now, the big decision is what color to use for the center stripe: tarragon or ivory Kona cotton?? I bought a striped sheet at a thrift store for the back.
    Do you wash your fabric first? I want that lovely crinkly look your quilts have.
    Thank you, thank for your inspiring work.

• 4
      admin says:

Hi Laurie! Thanks so much! I’m pleased to hear that you’ll be making a string quilt – it’s one of my very favorites, and I’m actually working on another one myself!

I don’t prewash my fabrics. However, even if you do prewash the fabrics, you’ll still get that crinkly look because the batting and thread will shrink a bit when you wash it.

Hope this helps!
      Ashley

whitney says:

what about the dining room table? office? i think we also should have gotten to see your “current” projects. or perhaps that’s an entirely separate post…

Meaghan says:

I don’t think that being a quiltaholic is a bad thing – you could worse vices right? Also, I think it’s better to be a finished-quiltaholic than a start-a-quilt-never-finish-it-aholic like i am lately… I love seeing all the quilts you make. I’m always excited for a new posting! :) I guess that might mean i’m a quilt blogaholic. Oh well. I’m okay with that!

Cheryl Arkison says:

I want to know if you do anything else with your time? How do you produce so quickly?

Jan says:

Thanks for the tour. I’m a beginning quilter, but I’m addicted. I’ve been thinking this could easily get out of hand.

Audrie says:

I love to see your quilts all throughout the home… the colours are so vibrant! I’m totally addicted to quilting too and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that!! hehe :)

teaginny says:

You make such beautiful quilts! I’d be tempted to keep them all too! :)
    Have you ever donated quilts to charities like Project Linus?

erin vega says:

yay! thanks for the little tour :) WOW. that poor chair! haha. you need a big basket or somesuch, so people can sit there! lol.

Kyla says:

hahah i know you have more quilts than that. glad to see that there is still room in your house for you to live. you can never have to many quilts. looking forward to seeing the last quilt

anina says:

I have this same little problem so I have now started donating some of my quilts to Ronald McDonald house. It’s a good cause, so I don’t fee so sad letting them go.

Jill says:

That stack of quilts on your chair is hilarious. I love love love your quilting!

Dianne D says:

I hope to have a stack of quilts that high someday!
    You’re amazing!

Erin says:

I am also following your string quilt tutorial! I love your choice of bright, vivid colors…so fresh and cheerful.

If you had to buy from only ONE fabric maker/designer, who would it be? ( I understand that this is a ridiculously loaded and impossible question to ask)

Faith says:

LOL, there’s nothing wrong with being a quiltaholic! I love that – enjoy the beach this weekend!

Dawn W. says:

I love it! Can’t wait to see your new one. Only in my mind do I have a stack of quilts that high. Maybe there does need to be a quiltaholic group – I am down from 9 to 6 quilts in the works right now. Love your modern look. By the way – where can I get one of those elephant in boots panels?

Maria says:

Your quilts are beautiful!! After seeing your black/white/blue white string quilt on the blog, I’ve been beefing up my b & w stash, “just in case!”

amandajean says:

i love the photo of all the quilts stacked on your chair. i can sooooooo relate!!! :0) i’m excited to see your 9 patch quilt!!!

isa says:

Well, you are an artist!
    Does anyone ever ask what a painter does with his paintings, or a sculpturer does with his work?
    Sometimes my reply to this question is simply that I finish them :-)

Sonja says:

Quiltaholic!?
    Please don’t join any group!! You’re too good to be true & such an inspiration for us;)))

Sonja says:

And thank you for all your tutorials!!!

Megan says:

Oh I hope I have a big quilt chair like yours someday! I am just getting started:)

Carolyn says:

Just stumbled across your blog — and you are so inspiring. You do beautiful work! I aspire to be as prolific as you… one day. For now, I spend the majority of my time drooling over quilts on blogs like yours!

Julie says:

Wow! I’m always in such awe of your quilting. Thanks for tour! I love that quilt decorated chair.

laurap says:

I love it! I wanted to say that I love the fact you have a lot of quilts. But you also have them totally completed!!!!!!! I on the other have the same amount of quilts in different life stages. Be proud of your quilt stash!!

Inspired, as always. Being a quiltaholic is a good thing! And as usual, you have me on the search for hard-to-find fabric…

andi says:

Love a stack of quilts …. anywhere!!!

Marty Enniss says:

Love the stack of quilts. I have mine stacked in a glass quilt case so they are stored and viewed. I want you to know that you have inspired me. On Aug 1 I started a string quilt. I am doing at least one square a day and more if I have time. It’s looking amazing. I’ve decided exactly what I will do with this one. I rarely keep the things I make but this one will become the blanket on my very own bed. Imagine that. I’m keeping a quilt! At least for now, until one of my kids comes over and mentions how much they like it then it will be wrapped up and placed under a tree no doubt.

bonnie says:

ah i really need to start keeping some of my quilts. it is very sad when you see a store bought quilt on my bed. i make them but then i give them away. really need to start keeping a few. your stack of quilts looks lovely. i think i will start doing that…

Suzanne says:

I loved this post…and the unmade bed. I’m with Cheryl. How do you get so much sewing done?

Helen Yoo says:

Wow! That’s a lot. But you have to tell us about your new sewing machine. Maybe a review, telling us how different it is from your other sewing machine.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

If you are a quiltaholic, then I’ll soon be joining the group! But we’re happy, right?
    Love your stacks of quilts!!

nan says:

I loved seeing your stacks of quilts! A few years ago my mom came to visit and after walking around my house she told me my “obsession with quilts was getting to be too much!” I told her, politely, that I was a “collector” and she took a second and then said, “Aaaah…” like that made everything okay! I love ALL of my quilts, they are all over my house, in stacks, on ladder, beds, chairs…and I wouldn’t have it any other way! xo, Nan

Cristin says:

You’re too lucky to be KEEPING all your quilts (minus the ones for sale!) I have yet to make one and keep it. I will though, soon! I WANT to have stacks of yummy quilts all over my home too!

Karen C says:

The backs of your quilts are just as amazing as the front. How is it that you line up (square up) the back of the quilt with the front. My attempts have resulted in an off centre or wonky back.

Fulvia says:

There is, indeed, a place for this madness: it is called a quilt shop! Go get more, go make more! They are a joy to see.

Kristin says:

Amazing!!You make so wonderfull things,Im in love!!