pillows to match a quilt, part 2

patchwork-pillows4

Remember these pillows? I had just finished my Kaleidoscope quilt and decided to make some new pillows for the couch. At the same time, I also started a second set, based on my Patchwork Squares quilt, which I had also finished around that time. I got as far as cutting the fabric strips, and then it was shoved to the side.

I saw these strips sitting on the back of my chair (one that currently holds all sorts of unfinished projects!) every morning. And every morning I thought to myself that it would be so quick to just finish those up. Yet days went by and I never got around to it.

patchwork-pillows3

Yesterday was the day. I sewed them together, quilted the front and backs with some straight and curved random lines and gave them a couple invisible zippers. And of course now I’m wondering why it took me so long…

patchwork-pillows2

I think they’re a great addition to our living room!

new-pillows

This entry was posted in Household Goods and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to pillows to match a quilt, part 2

Jane Swanson says:

Yes! A perfect addition to your living room! Love them!

Erin says:

Beautiful. In the last 12 hours, I have probably spend half that time going through your archives and looking at all your beautiful quilts (I have been thinking about taking up quilting)

There is no more thinking. I guess I need to go buy a sewing machine :)

Your work is truly inspiring; thank you SO much.

Nicole B. says:

I Love, Love Love the Pillows!!! They are fabulous!! You are so inspiring!

Alice S says:

Those are awesome!

kate says:

Gorgeous!! They look fantastic on your lovely white couch. My first thought was “No animals in that house!” As always, I am so inspired by your work.

Faith says:

Oooo, I love those! I wonder if my husband would let me quilt us some pillows for our couch….he’s so picky! If they just show up though, there’s not a whole lot he can say about it. LOL

Yolanda says:

Good morning. The pillows are beautiful.

Casey says:

Everything you make is just so fresh looking! I love your pillows

erin vega says:

ooh, i love the way the compliment the other two! very nice!

erin vega says:

also, where do you keep all your quilts? do you have a neat little pile in the living room to chose from each night? i think we’d all like to see! (hint, hint)

kerri says:

such a beautiful addition to your couch!! love, love, love!!

Cristin says:

REALLY gorgeous pillows! They look amazing on your white couch! Well done!

I just love these… I need to do some pillows too… thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

Madison says:

So great! I love them. You’ve inspired me to finish my own pillow projects… Thanks!

Stephanie says:

Thanks for the inspiration!

isa says:

They are a beautiful addition!

Julie says:

Love the pillows, they look just beautiful! I always look forward to each new project that you share.

Claire says:

Once again, you have proved it can be done…..they look like sooo much fun on the white couch…..but in my house it would only last until my kids wipe their hands or nose or whatever on them…keep up the great work

Angie says:

Adorable! . . . What’s amazing is that I was thinking about making some pillows similar to these – only in black and white (inspired by your B & W string quilt!) Bet you’ll beat me to it! These are incredibly beautiful!

carrie says:

Very fun pillows. Nice job. All I can think is, “wow… white couch… she must not have children… I’d love a white couch.” Enjoy it!

Frogdancer says:

They look lovely. It’s lways the ‘quick jobs’ that take us ages to get around to…

lori says:

amazing pillows, they look perfect on your sofa.

kelly says:

THOSE are some seriously HAPPY pillows! :) Love them!

Kate says:

Beautiful Ashley!! Just love those pillows and perfect against the white sofa!

Audrie says:

They’re perfect together! Very nicely done!!

Erika says:

they look cute I lkie them

Collette says:

They really look great!

Lisa says:

Very stylish pillows! Another great scrap project.

Kyla says:

Those look AMAZING!!!! There a great addition to the couch. Against the white fabric they really stand out. I am glad that you finally decided to finish them.

Theresa says:

What a great idea for little pieces of fabric! These cushions are beautiful.

staci says:

Very pretty! You are so brave to have a white sofa! With teenagers, pets and hsbands – a white sofa would survive apporxiamtely 13.2 minutes at my house. :)

Jo from Australia says:

oohh they are FANTASTIC! esp with the white couch! Love them!

Jan says:

Very cool. I can’t imagine a white sofa, I have dogs.

Wendy says:

Beautiful! White doesn’t mean no dogs…. its like wearing a red shirt to eat spaghetti… I think you need a white Great Dane!

Terri says:

Love the new pillows! And I love the way they look sitting on your couch with the other fabulous set. What a fun project!

Chris says:

They look great! I was wondering if you could share the color you have on the walls in your sofa room? I love it and am getting ready to repaint my family room.

I have one more question I’ve been meaning to ask. I am finishing a quilt to be donated to a Breast Cancer auction and I was wondering if you suggest washing and drying it before donating or keeping it un-crinkly?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

• 45
      admin says:

Hi Chris – Thanks so much! The wall color in our den is called Overcast, and I believe that’s a Glidden color.

As far as the quilt goes, I love mine to be all crinkly, so if it were me, I think I’d wash it first before donating it. Hope this helps!

Whitney says:

I love those pillows — for two really good reasons, too:
    1. you used my favorite type of quilting
    2. that color “coal” that you used for the back is a new fave. almost beats out the green solid, but not quite.

wendy says:

Wow, they look so perfect on that couch.

giselle says:

I’m new to quilting and absolutely love it. Your work is so inspiring and I can’t wait to tackle my next project. I’m curious what fabric you choose to use when you have large expanses or white/cream. I’m nervous that I’ll pick something that is too see-though or has a weird tint. Do you have a go to white fabric? Thanks!

• 49
      admin says:

Thanks Giselle! I’ve used a few different whites, and I’m still trying to find a favorite. I like my white to be bright white, so currently I’ve been using either a Robert Kaufmann bleached muslin (I buy it by the bolt at Joann’s) or if I want something a bit thicker, I use the Kona White. The muslin is definitely cheaper, but I find that it can be difficult to sew with sometimes. Hope this helps a bit!

Betsy says:

I need advice and I really love your imagination! I live in FL and I’m covering my outdoor furniture cushions using beach towels. This seems to be the most comfortable fabric when you’re wet from the pool or sweaty. I am wondering if you might have an idea of how I can use different solid colors to make the covers.

Thanks for all the inspiring posts and photos. I’m in the process of making a string quilt because of you!

amandajean says:

just gorgeous, ashley! i love them!

aimee says:

Wow – those are beautiful! The perfect pops of color!

Erica says:

you inspire me,truly. With as much white as you use , do you get it in bolts wholesale?

Lyndsey says:

How beautiful! That is why I need white couches, however, the children and cat are a bit of a hinderance.

Debbie says:

I’m in love with all your quilts! I’m just a beginner and I’m wondering if you could post some info on how you do the stippling and other quilting (curvy lines… how do you do that?!) It seems to add so much! Do you wrestle with the big quilts on a regular machine?

Mary Perrine says:

Do you line the inside of the pillows or do you leave them just with the batting?

58. Pingback: FITF: patchwork pillows | Film in the Fridge

59. Pingback: More dreams in the offing – cushion creations « dreamalittle

Leann says:

These are stunning!! Do you ever sell them, or would you!??!
    Im hopeless with a sewing machine, but I certainly appreciate the skills and talents of those who are blessed with these abilities!
    Let me know if you’d consider it, and what you’d want for them.
    Thank you! =)

sparkling74 says:

I think what I love about these is the stark white with them. It just makes them so fresh looking. I really like them!!