am I crazy?

maybe… (ok, probably!)

scrappy-strings

I just couldn’t stop myself from starting another string quilt.

It was all these tiny scraps that made me do it.

scraps-for-strings

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to am I crazy?

Julie says:

I love your string quilts! I also love your blog (makes me sound sort of creepy…sorry). I spent the better part 2 days last week just getting caught up from the beginning. I’m astounded at how many quilts you’ve completed, especially since you are fairly new to the world of quilting and sewing.

As I watched my daughters make Barbie clothing this afternoon I couldn’t help but laugh and think about your blog. They were using the stapler, tape, some rather large hand stitching and knot tying to create their line of Barbie clothing.

I’m using your string quilt pattern and starting my own today, thanks for the inspiration.

Linda says:

Aren’t we all a little (or a lot) crazy? 8-) I wish I had your energy and imagination. I now have 3/4 of a yard of all of the Far Far Away fabrics and am so eager to make something with them; but between being afraid to cut them and trying to decide on a pattern, I’m having bursts of inertia. Please send me some of your mojo………lol.

I love your blog, and look every day to see what new ideas have hatched in your fertile brain! Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration.

Faith says:

Not crazy! A string quilt is on my short list thanks to this blog ~ you’ve inspired me!

Tracy says:

I just started my second one two days ago…great minds think alike! Besides, the first one was a graduation gift and my 20 year old daughter is already sniffing around this new one. If she’s nice to me maybe she can take it back to school in September. Awesome tutorial, thanks!

Marty says:

I was looking at your tutorial on making a string quilt. I love the one you previously made. I want to start one in the worst way. I’m not sure I should since I just declared that I have 19 unfinished projects.

Sara says:

Crazy FAST! I just cannot believe how quickly you work!!

It looks great, btw.

Michaela says:

Looks like you didn’t have much of a choice. Don’t fight the fabric, man. It always wins ; )

heather says:

I think that I could have one of these and a 9 patch going for the rest of my life!!

Kaye Prince says:

Oh, I’m loving the way it’s looking already! I just finished my first proper quilt for a wedding gift and did a blog post about it yesterday. I love coming to your blog because I find so much inspiration!

Cara says:

Lovely. I have to know…is there really any planning that goes into one of these of color and pattern, or do you just throw caution to the wind and start sewing?

Tiffany says:

Very cool!! I need to hunt down some instructions on how to do this with my own scraps. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kat says:

My Mom has numerous huge plastic tubs FULL of string blocks. It’s a common addiction :)

Elizabeth K says:

I am totally in awe of your quilting speed! Finding your blog has brought my urge to begin quilting again (or should I say completing my first quilt) to the front of my cluttered brain.

Andi says:

Crazy? Yes!!!
    Fabulous? Also, yes!!!

shelly says:

Looks great! Besides that craziness can be measured subjectively. Are you drooling while your making these?

Alison says:

A little crazy – but in a totally good way of course!! :) I’m just envious at your pace and awesome work! Keep it up for the inspiration for the rest of us!

Jessica says:

I’ve recently become addicted to string piecing as well. Its an amazing scrap buster, but curiously my scrap bin doens’t seem to be getting any emptier (is that a word?). So I’ll keep on stringing!! LOL!!!

Jan says:

I think it’s addicting. Love your string quilts, and thanks for the tutorial. I’m going to start one tomorrow.

So I’m curious. Does Morgan also have something that keeps him extremely occupied while you do all this sewing?? The string quilt is just the coolest, both in the bright scraps, and in the black and white version. Love them both!

Deb C. says:

Well, when they look as cute as your creations, how can you possibly resist making one after another? My fabric scraps aren’t nearly as fab as yours, but that’s not because I don’t have them….I just have them sitting on a shelf so I can look at them and wish for the strength to cut into them. LOL!

Cindra says:

your string quilts are so beautiful… if you are crazy it is in the best possible way!

Maybe a little, but who am I to judge?

kerri says:

I love your string quilts!! I am so itching to do one soon!! :)

Dolores says:

Oh sure, blame it something/someone else. My youngest daughter does the same thing. Fess up, you just had to do another one.
    Looks lovely.

Alexis says:

Looks fab! I love your string quilts, in fact I love all your quilts – you are such and inspiration, I just need to get my booty into gear – and get quilting!

flossyblossy says:

Yes, as crazy as the rest of us. But as there’s plenty of us i guess that makes us all normal??

Strips….i’m obsessed with strips at the moment.

isa says:

If it’s crazy to make string quilts, I for one would not be normal :-)
    It looks good.

Amy says:

Crazy or not, you’ve got great scraps & you make lovely string blocks.

julie green says:

maybe not crazy. maybe just possessed? hmm. maybe that’s not better. : )

whitney says:

Perhaps if you had mentioned that you actually have to make 400 of these teeny tiny blocks, people would have had a different reaction…

oh yeah, i think you’re nuts. certifiable, even. but i’m pretty sure that’s also why you’re so talented.

can’t wait to see this one finished! 36 days and counting?

Kyla says:

It looks great!!! And will hopefully help put a dent in that pile of scraps. Your not that nuts. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Mary says:

Oh, but each string quilt you make is so lovely. Keep it up.

beth says:

you can’t have too many string quilts…it puts all those strips to GOOD use.

Penny says:

It’s just beautiful Ashley! And it feels soooooo good to use up all those scraps!! Cause you know we can’t just throw them away, I think it must be some sort of disease! Even little 1X1 inch pieces are hard to toss!

amandajean says:

looks like the perfect use of scraps to me!

stacey says:

You’re crazy WONDERFUL!!:)

Laurie says:

you are an inspiration to us all! makes me want to use up my 35 year collection of calico scraps that my 10 year old says is so out of style.

Nan says:

I’ve been drooling over your quilts for some time now…I really love the string quilt – might finally have to make myself one! Thanks for the great read!

Andy says:

You are crazy! I’m still waist deep in my last string quilt. They are fun, but time consuming!

Marty says:

I’m on a mission to complete the 21 unfinished projects in my studio. However I’m up to 22 since I have made my first square for my string quilt. It already looks amazing.

Amy says:

You may be crazy but it doesn’t matter to me!

Annika says:

No, you are not crazy :) It will be lovely, just like the black-white-blue one.

Angie Przywara says:

Hi Ashley! If doing what you love to do is “crazy”, then “you go, girl!” This week I’m starting my own string quilt! Isn’t it wonderful to be such an inspiration to so many?

Cristin says:

Really gorgeous! Please, tell me where you get all your energy! Can I order it online? ;-)

jaybird says:

maybe.. but i’ve been dying to make one of these… i just know once i start i won’t be able to stop!!

48. Pingback: Modern Quilts - string quilts might make you crazy – Film In The Fridge