quilt #2 – same fabrics, different quilt

Catchy title, right? Let’s blame it on me being tired, and not being very creative. Maybe something good will come to me, or perhaps one of you will have a great name… (here’s hoping!)

quilt21

Anyway, on to the quilt… I really like the colors and fabrics I used for the modified bento box quilt, and thought it would be fun to make a second quilt using the same fabrics. Once I have them both completed, I’ll have to do a side-by-side comparison…

quilt2-close-up

I still get a bit dizzy looking at the first quilt, so for this one I decided to go with simple large blocks, along the lines of Denyse Schmidt’s Drunk Love in a Log Cabin (now there’s a great name!). These are actually the same type of blocks I requested for my month (this month!) for Block Party. (I can’t wait to show you that quilt when it’s finished – so far the blocks I’ve received have been fabulous!)

quilt-corner

I’m quite pleased with the way this one turned out. It took a little longer than I expected – somehow making those large blocks (15.5″) takes more time that you’d expect! And then it took some time to get all the blocks arranged in a pleasing way… but in the end it was definitely worth it – I love love love the end result!

quilt22

This weekend is the Vermont Quilt Festival. I’ve never been, but I hear it’s a good time and I’m looking forward to it. I’m thinking a little fabric shopping may be in my future!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to quilt #2 – same fabrics, different quilt

Tracy says:

I was just checking Flickr and saw this on sew mama sew, my jaw dropped! Then I realized it was you (I check your blog daily) I just love your style, inspirational!

Carrie says:

I really like the idea of doing two different quilts in the same fabrics. They are both so interesting!

Jaime says:

OOoh I love this! I have to admit that while I admire that Bento box quilt it makes my head hurt to look at it! This version is ahhhhh much more soothing. ;)

Sar says:

Gorgeousness! I adore what you do with fabric! I’m interested in taking up quilting but feel like there is a ton to learn and I’m a bit of a self-starter and find it hard to fit in classes. Do you recommend any good books or web resources (like how-to videos, etc.?). Keep up the great work!

Kris says:

I love these fabrics and something about it is reminiscent of sherbet… and that’s a good thing. Maybe something for a title?

Robin says:

I love this quilt! Gorgeous colors and I love the block pattern. I am trying to get up the courage to try something like that soon!

amandajean says:

it’s so very fabulous! i love this one, too!

heather says:

I really like this quilt!! I might have to do my virtual quilting bee quilt like this one!:) I’m not so good at wonky so maybe everyone else would be alble to do it for me:) GREAT JOB!!!

Jamie AZ says:

So pretty! I don’t have a clever name for you right now, but it reminds me of windows. Different types/styles/etc. of windows. Maybe?! :)

Uh, oh. Looks like I’m going to have to start collecting some more cool fabrics. You’re breaking my bank, Ashley. But wow I love the fabrics you choose. And I just got some Heather Ross VW vans in the mail yesterday. So happy…..

Shelly says:

It’s gorgeous! Well done!

Alissa says:

Oh I love it like crazy!! The Bento Box is so pretty too but I think this one is my fav. of the two. Enjoy the Vermont Quilt Festival!

lisapeaceandlove says:

I see this and I think “work of art”! Such a pleasure to just gaze at!

Chris says:

It reminds me of colorful windows. I like it!

kerri says:

it is beautiful!! it will be fun to see the two side by side since they both are so lovely in their own ways!!

Amber says:

It’s gorgeous. I loved the bento box one but I think I love this one even more! Have fun at the quilt festival!!

Sophia says:

This is wonderful Ashley!!! I cannot wait to see this one and the Bento Box quilt done!!!

barbara says:

Okay seriously! When do you have time to do it, and girl you do it well.

I love it! Very fresh and modern!

Andi says:

Simply stunning!!
    Great colour combos and wonderfully pieced blocks.
    Andi :-)

Peggy says:

Looks fabulous!! How about calling it Building Blocks since you actually do “build” the blocks! A labor of love!

ann moum says:

Am lovin’ your quilts. How about this as a name for the second quilt? “second time around” as it’s the second qult in the same fabrics , the log cabin goes around–i know, i know you got all the references. Keep on sewing ashely–you inspire me. Ann

Rachel says:

It’s gorgeous! I love the palate!

Jessica says:

Came across your site today while searching for baby quilt ideas, and you are my new heroine. BOOKMARK CENTRAL! I so admire your beautiful work. Keep it up!

Marg says:

Love the colours! They remind me of a margarita — or some lovely summery concoction.

28. Pingback: the back that inspired the front… - Film In The Fridge