a modified bento box quilt

For a little while there I just wasn’t feeling inspired by my fabrics. Then I pulled out this stack and thought that maybe I could do something with them.

quilt

Of course, then the dilemma was what to make! I had it in mind to do a modified bento box quilt, so I initially started making large 16″ blocks… but then I kind of liked them as full blocks and wasn’t sure I wanted to chop them into quarters… (I did finally go for it, as you can see below, but I’m thinking that there may be a second quilt done with full blocks, made with these same colors.)

bento4

I’m not totally in love with it at the moment. I mean, I do like it, especially now that the top’s finished. And I think it’s fun, in kind of a crazy way. And it’s definitely bold… I think it just might be one of those that I really start liking once it’s completely finished.

modified-bento

I better get working on the back so I can finish it up and start loving it!

Oh, and since a few have asked, there are patterns you can purchase for a bento box quilt. I just googled ‘bento box quilt pattern’ and a few different patterns came up, all around $9. I didn’t use a pattern for this quilt, but since there seems to be interest, I just may do up a quick tutorial for you… (note to self – remember to take photos during the project!)

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to a modified bento box quilt

staci says:

I love this!! Can’t wait to see it all finished.

Shelly says:

This quilt great. It is interesting and has movement. You’ve done the “unexpected” in a small way and it has paid off big time for you. Well done! Happy quilting!

Kelly says:

I LOVE it even if you don’t quite love it yet! I am new to this quilting thing and I don’t believe I’ve seen a “bento box” quilt before. I’m going to have to search the web for a tutorial on that one. If you have any suggestions please share!

alissa says:

I love it! Is the Bento box a pattern? Where would one find it? Can’t wait to see it finished.

Susan says:

I love it! What type of quilting will you do? I can’t wait to see the finished quilt.

Tonya says:

I love this. I have had my eye on the bento box quilt for a long time. Every time I see one I think I would love to make one. But, I think I am scared of picking the colors and how they would all come together. You did a fantastic job with the colors, I really love them. And, it has the perfect amount of white.

Ali says:

This looks great! Colors are awesome!A

Lisa says:

very cute, love all the different fabric

Jackie says:

Love the colors and the quilt top!

Rita says:

Love your modified Bento quilt! It looks great form where I am sitting, hope you get to love it a little more as you start quilting it!

Sara says:

I really love this one! I wasn’t a fan of the bento box until I saw your version of it. Inspiring, for sure!

I definitely love it so I think you should just send it immediately to me. You don’t even have to quilt it . . . I’ll take it from here. :)

Terri says:

Oh but I love this one! It reminds me of a different shaped kaleidescope. Great movement and great colors. Glad to see you’re back in the quilting mood!

anina says:

I love it! Much more interesting than a regular bento box.

Lisa says:

I think this is so cool! (I bet it was cool before it got “whacked”, too.) I really like that dark color in there- it reads grey on my screen. It makes the other colors pop.

leigh says:

I LOVE IT! I’ve been wanting to do a bento box quilt, but there’s been a little something I don’t like about it. I like this one MUCH better!

Maranda says:

I Love it:) Another quilt to add to my list.

Sarah says:

I think it’s fun! I’ve been completely uninspired lately. I mean, it’s at an all time low for me.

Holly says:

If you still dont’ like it when you finish it, send it on over. :^) But, I think you will.

Erin Voirol says:

That is a seriously fun quilt! It’s almost exactly the kind of thing I’ve been looking for!!

Dorrie says:

Isn’t it funny how in love we are with some projects while in progress, while others have to wait for the love until after they’ve been quilted. It’s very cute and it’ll be awesome once it’s quilted. Love it!

cecilia says:

Once again you have done a grat work! I wish I had your fabric stash!

Sara says:

I agree with the other Sara, I’m not a big fan of the original bento box pattern, but I really love your modified version. And the colors remind me of the crayola markers in Bold. http://a62.g.akamai.net/7/62/10424/86842f78dd338f/www.crayola.com/products/media/large/58-7832.jpg

Great work!

Wendy says:

I like these ‘clear’ colors, worked great with this pattern. I’ve seen other Bento Box quilts, but I really like this one, can you please tell us how you changed it up? I can tell its different…. but not sure how!

I like it, it has more layers or “boxes” rather than most that I’ve seen. This has been on my to-do list for awhile but I think I’m going to make four giant boxes and put them together to make a baby play mat.

Becca says:

How are you not in love with this? I think it is just gorgeous and I love the colors. You really are quite talented. I hope that you do come to love it as you finish.

Carrie says:

Holy cow that’s gorgeous! LOVE it!!!

Audrie says:

It’s lovely!! Definitely fun and bold :D

Kate says:

how in the world do you DO this? ! ! how many quilts have you made since you started?! what do you do with them all? I LOVE them, but seriously… how many quilts can one girl have? :)

Alissa says:

I really like it! And yes – ALL quilts only get prettier and prettier as they move through the steps!! By the end you’re certain to be in love!

Pamela S says:

Would you consider a tutorial on how to modify a bento box pattern? I see others asking how you did this and think there is a lot of interest. I’m guessing you made large blocks and then cut them each into 4 smaller, then re-arranged the blocks. Its absolutely wonderful!

kaite says:

i bet you will love it after it is all done, quilted and washed. that always does the trick.
    i think it is great.

amanda says:

Ooh! I heart. This is the first time I’ve seen this pattern. And by the way, I’m pretty sure that “prolific” should have your picture next to it in the dictionary.

Becca says:

Oooh I really like that! The divisions are so sharp and crisp.

molly says:

I definately love it. Very summery and juicy! I am now adding “bento box” to my wish list of quilts.

Kris M says:

I’ll take it off your hands if you can’t live with it :)!!! It’s gorgeous, as all of your quilts are…I wish I could accomplish as much as you do!

Patty says:

Oh wow, that looks great!!

Doris says:

Lovely. I have an unused Bento Box pattern I’d be willing to sell to any of your readers for $6.50 plus Free US shipping.

jessica says:

I love that quilt. Whenever I have a top that I don’t love that much I quilt it up…quilting it always makes me fall in love all over again!

jill says:

I vote for a tutorial!!! It’s beautiful! I hope you see it with new eyes after it’s quilted

jacquie says:

it’s really cute! such unexpected color combos…makes it so fresh and bold.

amandajean says:

i’m in love with it already!!! it’s wonderful!!!!!!!!!

Kellie says:

I have just about finished a ‘regular’ Bento Box and love it and was wanting to make another but different (if you know what I mean!) – this is genius, I am completely in love with it and hope that you don’t mind that i will be copying you forthwith!!

I love all the colors and the movement! I love it :)

I looked up a tute for bento boxes a while back, maybe a year ago, I found one but the author of the pattern had asked the blogger to take it down — I would suggest you do the modified, and call it something else :)

Maggie says:

Love this quilt as I love all the others.

linda says:

All your quilts are beautiful and this is no exception. Very pretty. I love the colors in it and it can only get better with quilting!

Mary says:

I simply do not understand how you manage to finish all those quilts!! It’s only June and you have already made more than last year. I love them all!

Deb says:

I haven’t taken time to read all the comments above me, but I hope other folks are wanting you to do a tutorial, too. I see so many beautiful quilts on blogs (and yours are wonderful!), but I am not a creative quilter to duplicate just by looking at a picture on a post. I need help knowing how to start. A tutorial on ANY of your quilted works would be great!! Thank you!

SaraCre8 says:

I agree with the above comment made by Deb! I hunt and wait for you to put up new pictures of your quilts! I love them all!!! I would really love to see a tutorial for this one. Keep going with this one! You always love them once they are quilted! You are very talented and you have a great colour sense!

Priscilla says:

I love it! I love that the boxes within the boxes are different sizes in width – I would be very happy if you shared a tutorial!

...dotty... says:

It already looks great, but it’s funny how much more you can like something once you add the final element of quilting. It TOTALLY changes it………suddenly it’s ALIVE !

It’s going to be a fantastic finished quilt !

Debra says:

I just finished and blogged about a baby quilt I did and I used your Sea gull baby boy quilt as inspiration! I didn’t stagger the windows very well and yours looks much better but I’m still happy with it. Thanks for sewing and blogging so much, it really helps me :)

Sophia says:

All I can say is “WOW”!!!! I love it! The colors are beautiful!!!

magikquilter says:

i think it is fantastic and you are very good with your colours…your colour instinct is spot on

cath06 says:

May be you will wonder where I come from, but here in France we do not see those fantastic quilts you’re making with such funny fabrics.
    I fell in love with them and they made reconcile myself with patchwork
    what is a bento box ? I definitely vote for a tutorial

Susan P. says:

Ashley, I’m amazed at the speed you crank these quilts out. Also amazed at your machine quilting skills. Did you take a class or just just pick it up on your own. I’ve tried several times without much luck. I’m sure there’s a lot of others out there that would love any advice, suggestions on machine quilting – maybe even a tutorial. I’ve got so many tops that need finishing, appreciate any help you can give. Thanks..

Rebekah says:

This is beautiful! I love all the bright colors and fabrics together…and I had no idea that you make a bento box quilt by cutting a square into four parts. That’s a really neat construction

Amanda A says:

I don’t know how you get so much done!! Would love to see the tutorial if you have time :) I have seen the patterns before, but I hate spending the money on patterns if I think I can figure it out myself. It’s beautiful!!

kalle says:

i vote for a tutorial on this one, too! thanks for all the great info, and inspiration.

Lisa says:

Beautiful quilts, I was wondering, where did you learn to machine quilt. Not the piecing together, the finishing stitches, like stippling or cross crosses?

take care,
    Lisa

leslie says:

this quilt is absolutely stunning. i love the colors

64. Pingback: a hit and a miss - Film In The Fridge

65. Pingback: It’s finished! A modified bento box quilt. - Film In The Fridge

Erin M says:

Out of curiosity, how many different fabrics did you use in this quilt. I love it, I really do. I counted 7 solids and 14 patterned for a total of 21 different fabric, but I could be wrong, I am going off your picture after all.

kandyce says:

your post has inspired me. i went out and bought my fabrics today (i’m still wondering if i got a good mix of bold prints + small prints + solids), and though i can’t start immediately (living overseas for a few more months, and don’t have a sewing machine), i can’t stinking wait for my own bento box quilt with an indian fabric twist!!