it’s time for a picnic!

This quilt is kind of different than most of the other quilts I’ve completed – mainly because there’s no white in this one (no solid white, anyway…). I selected this group of fabrics and while they’re not my typical go-to colors, I really love the combo!

picnicstripes-front

Much of it is made up of the great fabrics from Anna Maria Horner’s Good Folks line (love!) and rather than use solid white, I included a few prints on white – a few of the white cake rock beach prints and the oh so cute Alexander Henry spotted owls on white. There are a few others mixed in and several solids in coordinating colors.

picnic-strips

I went for strips of varying widths, and pieced in a few blocks of other prints to add some extra interest. When I took it out to photograph the top a few weeks ago, I thought it looked so good outside that I thought I might use it as a picnic quilt. Never mind that I can’t remember the last time I went on a picnic — maybe having a picnic quilt will change that! Since I thought I might use it outside, I opted for a darker solid for the back, but spiced it up a bit with a few patchwork strips.

picnicstripes-back

As for the quilting, I so enjoyed the straight and curved random lines on the mini quilt I made last week that I decided to do something similar… although it certainly wasn’t as easy with a quilt of this size! The lines wobble a bit here and there, but I’m ok with it…

picnicstrips-quilting

I went with a nice navy binding, and I’m very pleased with the final result. I’ve taken to bringing it with me when we go anywhere, just in case I find myself wanting to lay on the grass!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to it’s time for a picnic!

Whitney says:

my heart throbs.

Is it wrong that I love the back so much? Kinda Denyse-ey… Fabulous!

Audrie says:

I love it! The colours are just gorgeous and so cheery!

Em says:

oh my gosh, i love this one too !! how did you finish yet ANOTHER quilt ?? i have been on the same 2 for the past month :P but thanks for keeping me inspired ! i can’t wait to get home from work and sew!

Sara says:

Beautiful! I’m hesitant to say this, but I think it might be my favorite quilt of yours. The colors are so rich, especially that gold in the middle.

Just lovely!

Tammy says:

oh, I do like this quilt! I actually like all your quilts – you have an aesthetic that I just enjoy. I particularly like the colors in this quilt – kind of a summer on the italian, or possibly spanish, mediterranean feel. The green-blues and yellow-golds. And the strippy stripes. Love it all.

Alissa says:

SO pretty! You’re making me want to stretch my usual fabric choices a bit!!

Tonya says:

I love the front, but I am really in love with the back. What colors did you use for the solids? I agree with Tammy, it has a mediterranean feel. I love that you are taking it with you everywhere. You never know when a picnic could just break out.

Martha says:

So beautiful! As usual, your quilt is breathtaking. I love the quilting on it.

Ashley says:

WOW. I love this. A lot a lot a lot.

andi says:

All the other picnic’ers will be so jealous.
    Andi :-)

heather says:

You do such a GREAT job! I just LOVE seeing what you’re up to!!

Claire says:

Everything you make is so beautiful… it makes me wish that I could quit my job to stay home and sew & quilt…..well back to reality….thanks for filling the earth with your GREAT & COLORFUL creations. Keep up the good work!

Kate says:

Gorgeous job on the quilting.

Amy says:

I just finished a strippy top also! They are very different though – mine’s all solids. I love this and it makes me feel like having a picnic too!

V says:

Love it. the more random the better as far as it goes with me anyway! enjoy your picnic!

Theresa says:

It’s really lovely Ashley. How did you do the straight stitching? Is it still with a darning foot or a walking foot? Love to know.
    Theresa

Emily says:

As always, your quilt is beautiful! I’ve considered doing this type of quilting, so I’m happy to have a chance to see how it looks! Nice job!!

Sarah says:

I just love, love, love your quilts.

Becca says:

It is beautiful; I am impressed constantly by your ability to see a project through.

anne says:

I love your new picnic quilt and your spot quilt, how about a quilt along or a tutorial on these. Happy Stitching

Kristy says:

Your quilts are so beautiful. I’ve been following you for a while now but just had to say something. I love all the modern fabric you use. Such an inspiration!

This one is really cool! I love the simplicity of just the stripes and the fabrics are great, really bold.

Joanne says:

Oh my…….you’re an absolute quilting goddess! I’m deeply impressed with all those beautiful quilts you made!
    Thanks for all the inspiring pictures and posts!

Liz says:

Love how you quilted this. Did you use your walking foot or free motion foot? Think I might give this a try.

Sophia says:

I think I’m gonna give that style of quilting a go for my next quilt. I love how the back looks. I’ve pressed the seams open on mine so I can’t stitch in a ditch and I’m too fond of the quilt to risk wrecking it with my first attempt at stippling.

Kyla says:

Love all the colors….the patches of white really help balance out all the color. The different colors blend EXTREMELY well :)

jennifer says:

I’m new to reading your blog and enjoy looking at your quilts very much. My daughter is getting married on Aug. 1 and I want to make her a quilt for a wedding present. I was showing her some of your quilts to get ideas of what she might like and this is the one she picked. I am scared to death because I have never made anything bigger than a baby quilt, but your quilts really inspire me. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rachael says:

Now I want to do a picnic quilt. How big is yours?

32. Pingback: birthday pillows – Film in the Fridge