mini spotted squares

mini-spotted-squares

I never expected to make a quilt this small, but now that I have, I might be hooked! They’re quick to start and finish, and a great way to try out new techniques, and most of all, they’re super cute! When I told Morgan what I was making, he looked at me like I was crazy – “but what are you going to do with it?”, he kept asking.  (I think he’s afraid I’m going to start decorating all our walls with quilted projects!)

He needn’t be worried, as this little quilt was made for a certain blogger I met online. (“But what’s she doing to do with it?”, asks Morgan) She’s read my blog almost since the beginning and then recently went out of her way to send me some of my favorite fabrics. This little thank you is a bit delayed, but hopefully will be enjoyed nonetheless.

mini-spotted-squares2

I decided to do another version of the spotted squares quilt, since I recall her really liking that quilt. In fact, back when I made that quilt, she sent me the most sincere email about how much she liked it – I was so pleased to hear that someone else liked it as much as I did!

This one has a similar look, but I decided on some random straight & curved quilting lines. I had wanted to try it out for some time, and I love the result! The back is a solid I had left over, along with a few scraps from the front. It measures 16″ x 21″.

mini-spotted-squares3mini-spotted-squares-back1

I  hope you love it Amy, and if, like Morgan, you don’t know what to do with it, putting it away in a closet is ok! (Or maybe it could cover one of Quinn’s dolls?)

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to mini spotted squares

Angela says:

I love the colors and shapes in this quilt! I’m inspired to create (okay – flat out copy) your design for a baby shower gift. Thanks for the idea!

Alissa says:

I love the straight and curved lines you did for the quilitng! This is another beauty! I so look forward to what you have created!

erin vega says:

i LOVE these quilting lines!! did you have to draw them out, or did you just do it as you went? i also love the design and fabrics…you can’t go wrong with polka dots!! i really need to get over my fear of machine quilting…

Bobbi says:

Another great quilt! I have to confess: I feel like such a stalker. You are one of my favorite quilters these days! How do you find the time? :)

Erin says:

I love this too! So creative! What are the finished measurements?

Amy says:

NO WAY! You didn’t have to do that! But thank you and It’s going right into Quinn’s crib with him. It’s true that Spotted Squares is probably my favorite of your quilts (to date) and I still look at it for inspiration now and again. When I saw this photo come up on my reader I immediately thought of how much I love the large one and how adorable this mini one is. I’m really touched and flattered and a little choked up too. I do think I’ve been with you since the beginning and you’ve always been very sweet (remember helping me with your bag pattern – and with napkins as well). Maybe one day we’ll meet face to face – after all, we do live (albeit part time) in the same state!

Alissa says:

So cute!! You continue to astound me with your ability to crank ‘em out so fast!!

tracy says:

This is adorable. I’d love to know the finished size and small run down of how you made the squares!

Liz says:

What is the blue/green circle fabric? I know I’ve seen it somewhere and now I have to have it!

heather says:

It looks soooo great! I LOVE your quilting style. I love the quilting on this one!!

Kate says:

Gorgeous! I love that quilting on the teal quilt…impressive

henny says:

Lovely…I’m impressed with the way you quilted it.
    Your online blog friend should be glad to have it :D

Theresa says:

How did you do the lines Ashley? Do you use your darning foot or a walking foot?

Cheryl says:

I think that it is so pretty, and the story behind it makes it even more special!

Lucky Amy!

Terri says:

Your conversation with Morgan cracked me up because that is the EXACT same thing my husband asks me everytime I make a mini (which I have been making more and more lately). I love how this turned out – great job with that free-hand quilting too!

V says:

OOOH! lucky Amy! (She’s awesome) Good for her! well, good for her son! ;-) I like the quilting.

Katie B says:

Hi, Ashley! I discovered your blog through the Sew Mama Sew giveaway, and I just finished browsing through your archives. I’m new to quilting (just finished #1), and I’m so inspired by what you do. Thanks for sharing!

amandajean says:

small quilts ARE fun, aren’t they? i like this type of quilting! it looks like fun.

Wendy says:

I’m going to have to try this more freestyle type of straight line quilting – looks great on this little treasure!

Helen says:

Ohhhh, I love it! I have a quilt all sandwiched ready to go and this is exactly how I was thinking of doing it, wavy lines. Yours looks great!

Sharon in FL says:

Beautiful! Happy Blogiversary! I’ve enjoyed seeing your progression in skills since the beginning. Thanks for sharing your journey!
    PS – I’m collecting fabric selvedges and am asking for donations if you don’t already save them for something/someone. Not sure what I could trade, but I do have a great LQS (Rainbow’s End) in town!

Leigh says:

Hi – I love your quilts and your blog. I wanted to tell you that I have some of the Heather Ross beach/ocean fabric. There are some others I’m looking for. Maybe we could do a trade? email me at leighlou5 [at] gmail [dot] com if you haven’t found it yet.

Mandy says:

super cute! love the colors!

jaybird says:

so cute! i love making little things because i can get them done!

Rita says:

I love the front and the back! Great quilt and what a lucky recipient!

Rory says:

I have always dreamed of doing an all polka dot quilt. I have even bought and hoarded the fabric for year. I have read your blog for a while, but somehow missed the original…hmm. Guess it was that week I took off to have a baby. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Does Morgan ever ask you what to do with all the other quilts? My Morgan does.

mary Magee says:

You are my favorite quilter. I love every one you design.

Kellie Eldridge says:

I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the back. I know it’s simple and sweet but I just think it’s so cool. Maybe the colors. Anyway, I totally dig it and I LOVE your blog. I have lurked for a few weeks and am just in awe of your talent and how much you have accomplished in such a short time. You are truly inspiring!

jacquie says:

i love the look of the random lines…one of my favorite ways to quilt.

31. Pingback: it’s time for a picnic! - Film In The Fridge

Em says:

Hi ! Your blog is one of my absolute favorites ! I love ALL your quilts. thanks for the daily inspiration :)
    can you please tell me, is there a pattern for this spotted squares or did you make it up?
    thanks !!

34. Pingback: What to do with all those T-shirts…

Karen Angeline says:

Your quilts are beautiful and fun. I’m a beginning quilter and would love to try the “mini spotted squares” quilt for my first quilt– for my baby granddaughter, Astrid. Is there a pattern you can point me too? I’ve poked around a bit online and can’t find it.
    Thanks so much! Karen