I heart my new Socialite dress!

It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of patterns, so you may wonder why I actually purchased this pattern (Anna Maria Horner’s Socialite dress)…(the main reason: it was on sale, and I’m a sucker for a sale!)

amh-socialite2

This particular dress was made as a test to see the sizing, so I made it out of this chocolate brown solid. I didn’t want to waste good fabric, but I did want to like it well enough to be able to wear it if it did end up fitting correctly! To jazz it up a bit, I found a fat quarter of one of Anna Maria Horner’s Good Folks fabrics which went nicely with the brown.

(If you’re wondering, I was able to cut out three of the four front and back yoke pieces from the fat quarter of printed fabric (I used the solid brown for the interior back neck section – no one will see it!))

amh-socialite

What I loved about this pattern was that I cut out my size, sewed it all up, and when I tried it on when it was all complete, I found that it fit almost perfectly. This is a change for me — since many of my recent dresses have been made up or made from modified versions of other patterns I end up having to try them on many, many time while sewing. It was really nice not to get undressed so many times! Perhaps I lucked out, or maybe this pattern really does run true to size.

In any case, I love it! And even though I didn’t take any time selecting fabric, I really like the solid with the contrasting neckline. I think this will be a favorite this summer!

amh-socialite3

And I think there will also be a few more made in other fabric combos!

Oh, and if you want a more in-depth pattern review, a great one was just posted yesterday at Sew Mama Sew.

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to I heart my new Socialite dress!

Jessica says:

Ooooh, that looks really nice. The touch of color is perfect! You’re making me want to buy this pattern :-).

Jessica says:

PS: Just wanted to say that I was finally able to track down some Flea Market Fancy thanks to one of your posts – thank you so much!!! I’d been searching for ages for anything in that fabric line … it makes me really happy :-). I hope you’ve found every colorway/fabric you were looking for!

Jona says:

That looks great (I’ve been curious about that pattern)! I really love the way the two fabrics look together. I wish I had the legs to pull of a shorter dress like that!

Doctor Mom says:

What a nice job–and it was just your test drive!

Karissa says:

That dress looks great on you! I may have to try that pattern out.

Here’s my method for muslins and patterns: I use a hera marker and trace the paper pattern onto a flat sheet from Target or someplace–these are usually pretty cheap. I cut out the pattern and use a basting stitch to put it together, but skip finishing edges and adding facings. Then I try it on and see what it looks like, make modifications to the muslin/sheet, and sometimes make another. Once I have it all figured out, I take the pieces apart and use them as my pattern. It’s SO much easier to cut from your expensive fabrics when you’re using a fabric pattern (and not sheets of paper) to follow!

This method has been swell for me. I went through two revisions on the Weekend Sewing Summer Blouse, but I think I’m almost there!

leigh says:

what pattern was it? I’ve been wanting a ruched v-neck like that. looks great!

kerri says:

the dress looks great!! i like the solid brown too!!

Ashley…Kristine in WA state…I hooked you up with some FMF a few months ago via “see katie sew” are you still looking for yellow gnomes?

I finally have a blog now!!

Doris says:

Your summer sewing is inspiring me…I will be posting my own redo tomorrow and many more in the mix!

Love the dress!

Karrie says:

looks lovely on you!
    I nominated you for a lovely award.

Terriaw says:

I love how this dress looks, especially in the solid with print around the neckline. I have this pattern, but haven’t made it yet. Now I must!

Emily says:

This is so cute…I want to try it out. I was looking at the measurements, though, and with my hour glass figure, I’m not sure I could pull it off. I would definitely have to make some modifications for it to fit, and a belt would be a must! Maybe I’ll try! Thanks for posting.

christine says:

i am envious of all your creations. another great example of your talents. thank you.

nglalala says:

Love the fabric combo! It is paired very well and the dress looks fabulous!

katie says:

oh, i have been eying that pattern! i love it.

mindy says:

My friend just made this dress as well..I think Ill have to grab the pattern! Very cute & love the pockets!

*karen says:

Beautiful. I always find your finished sewing projects so inspiring.

Kim Woolf says:

I have been thinking about buying this pattern and now you have convinced me! You also inspired me to make my own clothes this summer. I have 1 shirt down, 2 more shirts and 2 skirts left to go…..and now this dress.

Kyla says:

Beautiful!!! the colorful fabric around the neck is a great touch….adds personality

20. Pingback: spring sewing for mamma « groundginger