Birds of a feather

birds-of-a-feather-quilt

Thanks to a rainy Saturday, I got this one quilted, bound and washed. You may recall that I made this quilt to feature one of my favorite (now out of print) fabrics – these great paint by number birds. They originally came in 4 colors, and thanks to some online friends, I had a bit in three of the four colors. I decided to use all of them in this one quilt – going for improv-style blocks  with one of the birds as the center of each block.

birds3

And as if there weren’t already enough birds in this quilt, I decided to use a few more for the back… just simple blocks here – each bird is framed with one of the fabrics used on the front, and then, because I couldn’t help myself, I had to add in one of the little flowers in the lower corner.

birds-back2

I used this pink polka dot fabric (MoMo Wonderland) for the binding, with one little section of the green polka dots. Love it!

binding

And now that this one’s completed, I’m kind of tempted to do something similar with the paint by number deer… overkill? Probably…!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Birds of a feather

Bobbi says:

I love this quilt. I had a fat quarter set that included the paint by numbers birds. I have a couple fat quarters left… I’m hoarding them till I can do something special with them too!

Kate says:

Beautiful quilt, Ash! Are some of these pictures taken by the lake?

I’m obsessed with that bird fabric. Your quilt is FABULOUS!!I have some of the paint-by-number fabric, not the birds or deers, just the camo-looking fabric. Anyone want to trade for something else?

Becca says:

Overkill? Never!

Congrats on the finish, it looks amazing!

susan says:

beYOOtiful! i love this so much – the colors all complement each other so well. you’ve done a marvelous job. and i am in awe of your quilting speed!

Jodi says:

I love it! Love your blog too! Could you email me please? SimplyThisandThat@verizon.net. I have a question for ya. ooxx`jodi

Karen says:

I love this quilt! Great work!! I love reading your blog and your quilts are VERY inspiring!!

staci says:

Beautiful! I love your photography – your pieces are always showcased so well. And as far as whether making another one with the deer fabric being overkill – I say go for it! It’s not overkill if you love something. :)

Ali says:

That looks incredible – and I can’t believe how fast you’ve finished it either!

Annika says:

Nothing can be “overkill” when it comes to beautiful quilts :) Keep up the good and amazing work!

Jenn says:

I think you do the most wonderful work. Great color choices!

Jane Swanson says:

Oh My!
    Stunning!
    I have the deer fabric and can’t wait to see what you do with it!

Laurie says:

Talk about gorgeous quilts! LOVE YOUR WORK! Beautiful!!!! Doesn’t it feel so good to accomplish such a gorgeous quilt! YAY!
    Laurie~

Your name/blog came up a few times at Market. :) Just wanted you to know people are talking about you…

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Another Lovely quilt!

Wendy says:

Beautiful! Love the birds, and I’m envious that you got that fabric. You did a great job featuring them.

Sue in France says:

HOW DO YOU ACHIEVE SOOO MUCH. i JUST NEVER SEEM TO HAVE ENOUGH HOURS IN A DAY.

Kate says:

This is such a pretty quilt! So special, it must NEVER be parted with.

Kelly says:

Lovely quilt, all wrinkly and ready to be snuggled under, lovely!

Sarah says:

I love your style and your quilts. Very inspiring! Finally getting ready to do some quilting myself, and I am wondering, what do you use as batting? And how thick?

Jantine says:

You did it again, didn’t you? Finish a quilt YEAH! I tried to study your quilting motif, but can’t figure out what you did. Do you mind showing a closer close up to peek at?

Alissa says:

Wow – so so wonderful!! I love the little bit of something different in the binding. I’m so jealous of you finishing quilts. Soon I will have some time to sew again… sigh.

anne Bryant says:

Wow, so lovely! I just discovered your blog via Flickr and will definitely be returning! :)

willy-nilly says:

You’re so quick! It’s lovely. I have a FQ pack of the line waiting for the perfect project.

Do you finish your bindings by machine or hand? You are so fast!

amy smart says:

fantastic quilt and photos!

I love that you add patchwork to the back! What a great idea! The only quilt that I’ve ever made is currently hanging on the wall, and well, it’s actually just the top, so it’s not a quilt yet. Now something good has come out of my procrastination, because I’m definitely going to do something interesting on the back too! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jane Swanson says:

Ashley,
    Could you email me?
    I have a question about the Bird fabric.
    Thank you!