our guest room

All I can say is that it’s a good thing we don’t have guests too often. The guest room, and especially the guest bed, has become the storage spot for all the unfinished quilts. Some of these unfinished quilts are old… in fact, one is the very first quilt top I made (and then never finished!). For one reason or another they remain in various stages of completion spread out over the guest room bed.

This is the first one – a block quilt I made using some of the first fabrics I ever bought. I really like the quilt, and in fact, it’s all sandwiched and ready to be quilted, but I haven’t gotten around to it. Mostly because it’s kind of large. But even though it’s large, it’s going to end up a strange size – long enough for a queen sized bed, but once it shrinks, it will not be wide enough. Since I know this is the case, I keep thinking that I should take the time to fix it rather than just quilt it and accept the strange size.

block-quilt

And then there’s the second quilt I started, again, another big one, but not quite big enough. It’s a modified coin quilt, and it probably just needs another row or two to make it large enough… I really should get on that.

modified-coin-quilt

This next one is also ready to be quilted – sandwiched and everything! – but I can’t decide how I want to quilt it. I had a lot of great suggestions when I asked about it way back here. I’m thinking I’ll probably go with a spiral square…

echino-quilt

The bird quilt is also ready to be quilted – you’ve already seen this one this week, so here’s a little glimpse of the back. I’m hoping to have time to get this one done this weekend.

birds-of-a-feather1

And you know what? Instead of working on this pile, I started a new quilt. There’s no hope for me!

strip-quilt

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to our guest room

Kerry says:

I am the exact same way. I have probably 3 quilts ready to be quilted…but instead I push them away and start working on the next. I know they will get done…the question is when.

Lisa says:

Ahaha! I have a bag full of quilt tops. (I just absolutely hate the quilting stage and I can’t afford to send them all out.) Your puny stack of three is nothing! I have at least 6 in the bag, plus two that are basted together and floating around my house waiting for me to hand quilt them.

Katie in Texas says:

I’m glad I’m not alone. My husband calls me “The Quilt Starter”! Unfortunately, my sewing room is the room as you walk in the front door. I try to keep them folded and neatly stacked, but the room it just too full!

Sara says:

So far, I haven’t let myself start another one until I finish the one I’m in the middle of. It’s hard, but I know myself all too well…if I do it once, I’ll never stop!

They’re all gorgeous!

LeeAnn says:

I haven’t started a new quilt because I have one from 5 years ago that I never finished! Surprisingly the quilting is completed and all I have to do is the binding. Once that is done, I am using your paper piecing tutorial to start a red/aqua quilt. I’ve been collecting the fabrics for years! Your blog gives me the encouagement I need to get it started! All the quilt tops you have on your guest bed look amazing!

kerri says:

i like your thought process!! if you don’t know what to do, just start a new one!! :)

lisapeaceandlove says:

i woke this a.m. with the intense desire to finish things; must be a strange configuration of the planets or something! May you be blessed with the same phenomenon soon!

Amy says:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever commented here, but I love your blog!
    I love all of your quilts!
    I love your new quilt you started, I am going to make something similar to that with anna maria’s good folks for my bed, first I should finish my unfinished quilts and my kid’s quilts……….. :)

Amber says:

I know – I do the same thing…fold the tops up and start on another one. I can’t wait to see how the Echino one looks finished – I love it!

Becca says:

I end up with that same problem whenever there’s something I have to figure out. I have a finished top of a quilt that’s for my bed, and yet no sandwich because I don’t have a big enough area to lay it flat.

Beth says:

The quilts are amazing! I love the last one – those stripes are so appealing. I was planning to do a stash buster (coin quilt style), but your stripes have got me thinking about taking it a different direction. Thanks for the inspriation!

Kara says:

LOVE the quilts! The bird quilt is especially beautiful. I can see a that being a centerpiece in a little girls room.

I do have a question though…and this will show my quilting ignorance. How is it that these fabric don’t bleed if you don’t wash them before you use them? I love the look of a quilt after it’s washed and has all the little puckers(?) but I have few red spots on one made for my son because the fabric bled. What should I have done differently?

• 14
      admin says:

Hi Kara – Thanks! I’m too lazy to prewash my fabrics, and so far I haven’t had anything bleed. I don’t really use a lot of red though, so that could partly explain it! I think if I were going to use any dark color that might bleed, or any fabric that I was unsure of the quality, I’d probably prewash those fabrics. Otherwise, I’m going to keep taking my chances! :)

Dorrie says:

Your quilts are great! I don’t think you sleep, you get so much done! Truth be told, I’m sure we all have a stack of UFO’s; it’s just so fun to start something new!

Heather says:

I just love your projects, it’s great to help me get motivated to sew :) I am like you and have quite a few tops completed, but not basted (go you!). Basting is what I don’t like to do, but I do like quilting them. I have a gorgeous red and white quilt that is dying to be finished. I think that is what I’ll be working on this weekend. You aren’t the only one that’s hopeless LOL!

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Same boat, start a new quilt even before the last one is done – I think it’s contagious.

Marissa says:

I’m glad that I am not the only one, I have at least 5 quilts in progress that need to be finished. One of them is the first one I did too, its a puff quilt. Maybe this summer I could make a good dent in that number of unfinished quilts.

Kate says:

It sounds like everyone has the same problem…for me its because I like the early stages the best. Buying the fabric, putting it together…what works with what, then piecing it…and that’s when I run out of steam and want to start all over again!

Siew says:

And I thought having UFO knitting projects was bad, they don’t take as much room up as a quilt though! I could just look at your quilts all day though. They’re pretty fabulous.

katie says:

oh, so funny. i always find that i do so much better on a project if i am working on something that i really want to do, instead of something i should do.

Beautiful work… you sure have a lot on your plate… ahemmm, i mean on your bed!! Lx

sheree says:

I have a bunch of quilt tops sitting…waiting…as well! I plan to dedicate July to quilting them all. That’s my challenge for myself. With the kids home for summer vacation, I may need 2 months..July and August!

All your tops are lovely! Have fun finishing them up!

Cindra says:

You are pretty amazing! So many beautiful quilts!

You are truly a quilter. Only a true quilter would have more than one work in progress.

Tracy says:

Yep, the guest bed is my storage spot for unfinished quilts, too. And fabric.