small projects

A little gift for my mom for mother’s day –

potholders-for-mompotholders-for-mom2

A few new market bags for a local shop –

market-bags2market-bags

And the start of a new quilt –

blue-birdgreen-birdpink-bird

Many many thanks to Julie and Joree for sending me some of the wonderful paint-by-number bird fabric. I’ve been hoarding it for a while, but now, in my attempt to actually use my favorite fabrics, I cut into them for this new quilt. I’m doing some more improv blocks and each center will feature one of the birds in one of the three colors. I really like each block individually, though I’m a bit concerned about how they’ll all work together in a quilt. We shall see!

This entry was posted in Household Goods, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to small projects

Emily C says:

Love those pot holders~great gift for a mom who has everything! (And don’t all mom’s?)

kerri says:

i love all the little projects you’ve done!!

the quilt blocks are beautfiul!! i love you have have centered them around the birds. can’t wait to see this one develop!! :)

Whitney says:

i was so thrilled to see the new bags when i came in this morning! you’ve tempted me yet again…

Modest Mom says:

I love the bags. Great colors on the squares. I’ve never seen the paint by number bird fabric before.

Becca says:

I love the gift for your mother – such pretty colors!

Hillary says:

I love the bird blocks! The colors and improv piecing are fantastic! Great Job!

anina says:

I love all the color in this post. Those bags are so pretty!

amandajean says:

don’t worry. if you sash the blocks in white it will work! :)

katy says:

you are the most productive sewer/quilter on the web. i swear! the bird blocks are lovely, perfect way to show case the wonderful paint-by-number fabric!

Suzanne says:

I agree with Katy. I have never seen anyone so productive. And these projects are beautiful~I love the fabrics you used for the bags and potholders. Great job!

sarah says:

everything you make is so pretty. (sigh)

Emily S says:

I love how you used part of the selvedge in the pink bird block! Just a quick questions for you. Like you, i’ve been trying to use more of my favorite fabric in my quilts instead of letting it collect dust on the shelves. However once i complete these quilts, I love them so much i just can’t part with them – but who really needs 30 quilts in their house!? What do you do with all of your completed quilts?

Rebecca says:

I love the colors you use and the way that you “improv” quilt. I am dying to try this improv quilting, but first I have a few projects to finish. Do you typically use whatever fabric you have around when you improv quilt? Or do you buy specific fabrics with that type of quilt in mind?

Kate says:

What a lovely gift for you Mum. I’m really excited to see this next quilt, those birds are very pretty

I am SO sorry I didn’t get any of that paint by number bird fabric, because I sure can’t find any now! Those are the coolest blocks! I agree–sashing them in white, they’ll all live together very happily.

pve says:

you sew inspire me.
    congrats on winning the berry spoons from our “eddie”
    pve

Emily says:

I love your paint-by-numbers bird blocks!! They are really cute – I can’t wait to see the whole quilt. I’m sure they’ll look fabulous together!

turtlewon says:

Love the birds, bags and my pot holders! Your creativity, your projects, and your photo compositions never cease to amaze me.

ancient one says:

Congratulations on winning the Eddie Ross Give-away…

Gina says:

The paint by number birds is a hoot! (that wasn’t intended as a pun until I realized how funny it is, so now it IS intended as a pun – phew, too much coffee!) Love ALL your projects; thanks for sharing!

salla says:

lovely things! i will have to send my MIL in search of those bags, she is not too far… rouses pt, ny.
    i also wanted to say thanks for the tutorial on the fabric chain with velcro! as a military spouse we make so many tear away chains, this is a great one we can repeatedly use! thanks

alexis says:

i’m so jealous of that bird fabric! it’s gorgeous and i love your work too, such an inspiration to look at.

Chantry says:

I love your site. And I love love love the paint by numbers birds…I saw it last summer on a demo bag and have been searching for it ever since!

Wow! I just found your blog today and am in AWE!!! How did you learn how to DO all of this?!? You’re amazing!

Lara says:

i have the bird fabric and have horded it for over a year now and will continue to do so, love it.

willy-nilly says:

I hoarded a bunch of the paint by numbers, even sent some on to Joree…Seattle, Florida, Vermont… I’ve been working on a whole “flock” quilt and these will for sure be included!

Emily says:

Yes I know what you mean about using your favorite fabrics! You have done beautiful work! I do not recognize those super good green dots though! I’m dying to know- what fabric is that, pretty please?!!

• 31
      admin says:

Emily – The small green dotted fabric is from Joelle Hoverson’s Cake Rock Beach line. The dark green with the larger white circles is Jennifer Moore Monaluna.

Emily says:

Thanks for the info about the cake rock beach dots – of course I cannot find them anywhere! While I’m at it, I’d love to know about the skirt you are wearing in the beach bag tutorial! I love the little pleating at the bottom. Is that what it is – little pleating with an A-line skirt? Thank you! Your work is amazing!