the colors of spring in 2012

spring3

As named because that’s what I anticipate will be the actual date of completion! It’s huge (well, huge for me!) and I don’t really relish the thought of quilting it on my regular machine. In fact, I’m tired just thinking about it!

I started this quilt a few months ago and then promptly put it away so I could work on other projects. I was hoping to make a queen sized quilt for our bed (we definitely don’t need any more lap sized quilts!). At the time, we were still in the midst of a long winter and so I selected a bunch of spring-y colors. As usual, many of these fabrics are my very favorites, so I opted for this quilt design so I’d be able to see larger pieces of my favorites.

spring-quilt

I’ve used this design many times, but I’m not totally tired of it yet. I like the simple look as well as all the white. Plus, it goes together so quickly… even this size! And speaking of size – it currently measures 91″ x 99″, so it should be the perfect size after washing.

spring-quilt-21

Taking a picture of it was more difficult. Our neighbors most definitely think we’re crazy – I’m tying a quilt to a tree, Morgan’s on a ladder and then I’m running around taking photos from all angles. Perhaps it’s providing them with evening entertainment…

So here it is on the bed – I’ll be taking a good look now, as it might be the only time I see it on the bed!

spring-quilt-on-bed

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to the colors of spring in 2012

sally says:

I love the new quilt. I have a similar goal this summer – I’d like to finish a quilt for my queen size bed. We’ll see how it goes since I’m not an amazing quilter by any means.

Cara says:

Maybe this is the quilt you send out to a long-arm quilter? I know I’d want it on my bed NOW.

Sara says:

Very pretty and fits the bed so nicely. Is it possible to quilt a large quilt like this on a regular old machine? I think I’m ready for something bigger than a baby quilt, if so!

MichelleB says:

It’s wonderful! But I know what you mean about the quilting. Good luck!

It’s beautiful! I have become such a fan of white because of your quilts.

Heather says:

I LOVE it! I’m putting a stash together for a king size quilt for myself right now and this gives me hope that I can go that large! ;)

Louise says:

This is beautiful! I have a couple of completed queen-sized tops that I’m going to have to send out, too– it’s going to be so hard to do it!

Cristin says:

Just lovely! I adore the “simple” pattern – and yet it looks Modern to me. I’m currently working on a Queen sized quilt too – its my biggest ever! (90 x 95″)
    Well done!

suzette says:

The quilt is great and looks very nice in your bedroom. I also like the picture above your bed. Tell us more about that.

Jackie says:

Love the quilt and all the fabrics. I wish you lived closer so I could invite you over to quilt it on my longarm.

love it! ( as I do all your quilts..)
    I’m fairly new to your site; please forgive me if you’ve done this already….
    Could you share a tutorial, or a link to one, for these blocks? please?! :-)

thanks!
    love all the dresses, too!!

Modest Mom says:

Hi, just found your blog yesterday and I’ve had a chance to look around. I love it! My mama and I quilt some and I’m just getting back into sewing. Just wanted to let you know your quilt is gorgeous!

Shorty says:

What a great quilt! I love it. You really are a talented quilter. Thanks for sharing your progress!

katie says:

it looks amazing. i bet you will have it done in no time,
    i have to tell you, your yard, or where ever it is you take all of your pictures is beautiful!

Doris says:

I think it is great! I love the name too, primarily because the first thing I thought of when I looked at the whole shot, was a bunch of paint chips from the home store…very cool.

Margie says:

Looks good. Have you thought of turning it into a duvet cover? No quilting required :)

Marissa says:

I think it looks great and if you want support while you are quilting it, you’ve got it right here. I’m currently quilting a oversized queen quilt for my sisters wedding. It measures 106 x 100 or so. It takes awhile but I am just taking it slow on the quilting I do one or two bobbins full of thread on it a day. Good luck!

Annika says:

What a great job you´ve done! It will be very nice when its quilted!

heather says:

I LOVE this quilt. I need to try something like this. That’s a GREAT size. I LOVE it!!! Great job!!!

kathy says:

This is absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful burst of spring inspiration!

Sophia says:

Wonderful! I love it. Let us know how the quilting goes. I have a king-sized quilt that I have started to quilt by hand, and am very discouraged. Now I am wondering if I could do something simple with it on my machine! Thanks for the inspiration Ashley!

Kate Dixon says:

That is one big quilt! Stunning, looks great on the bed. Why don’t you send it out to be quilted! Best of both worlds ;)

THis is a lovely quilt! I like your design and wrote down the sizes! But why wouldn’t you see it again on your bed? Because you can’t quilt it. I can understand how you feel about doing it, but I think this one is worth the quilting, so maybe save some and let some long arm quilter do the quilting job. Or… torn the middle seams and do a quilt as you go in four pieces.

kerri says:

i love it!! i too would be scared to quit one that big, but i know lots of people do it on their regular machines, and if anyone can do it than i’m sure you can.

it looks very lovely on your bed!!

28. Pingback: Happy (early) Mother’s Day « Bananas for Breakfast

amandajean says:

it looks wonderful! i’m working on stippling my king size quilt. it scared me so much, i made myself start quilting immediately so i wouldn’t chicken out. :)

i’m sure that you will do great!

Tif says:

it’s beautiful!!!!! and i applaud you for the size!!! can’t wait to see it done…

jacquie says:

this is beautiful…i love it blowing in the wind! have you decided how you’re going to quilt it?

aimee says:

Just gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful.

Lynda says:

Hi, I love your work, I love your bags and clothing. Can I buy/order some of your work? I saw some of your bags for sale, but i am interested in your quilted bags or some of your clothes. Let me know, thanks!
    Lynda

Looks great! Don’t let the quilting scare you. If you do a design that goes from end to end it actually comes together quite quickly. Faster than regular stippling, at least. You could do loops, variegated straight lines, waves…