and some more weekend sewing…

I had to do a little more sewing for my summer wardrobe. It’s finally getting warm here, and I’m going to need more than just 2 dresses for this summer!

So here’s the third – (ignore my strange look in this photo!)

giraffe-dress

and yes, it’s ok if you hate the print! I questioned the appropriateness of this for a while, but then finally opted to go for it. I think it’s amusing. As with my bathing suit cover up, I followed my modified pattern from Heather Ross’ Summer Blouse from Weekend Sewing. (oh, and if anyone’s interested, there are a few more details of the modifications I made posted on Heather’s blog).

I made this one with a scoop neck and short sleeves

sleeve-detail

I thought it needed a little something in terms of color, so I added the pink trim both to the neckline and the hem. Oh, and I also used it for the pockets. I realize no one else gets to see it, but I think it’s fun!

pink-pocket

Next  up, a new shirt – again inspired by Heather’s book (did I mention I love this book?!)

This one is based off the little girl’s smocked dress, but made into a summer tank top.

smocked-top

I used this great older Anna Maria Horner fabric – I’d been saving it for a dress, but this shirt won out!

I cut a front and back section and then followed Heather’s instructions to smock the top of each. Then sewed them together and added some thin straps. It might just be the most comfortable shirt I own, and seems to work well either on its own or under a cardigan. Fun!

smocked-top2

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to and some more weekend sewing…

joree says:

the smocked shirt is my favorite. okay. so i am coming to your place. i need your energy and motivation!

Jennifer says:

I like the print you used for the dress! It’s cute!

Love the smocked top! I think I will make one, I am pregnant and this looks really comfortable.

Kat says:

Wow! I love your quilting but I am in AWE of you garment sewing. I cannot modify patterns to save my life. I tried once and it was a disaster!

heather ross says:

you are seriously ON FIRE over there!
    love the smocked top. I think you may already know this, but there is a free pattern download on my blog for a ladies sized smocked sundress! Its a very quick and easy project….

Carol says:

Love the print — and wish I was still young enough to wear it.

You are a serious achiever. Man, I’m feeling seriously underachieving. But no matter, I get totally inspired by you at the same time. Yay!

Lydia says:

I love the giraffe print! Too cute! Great job on everything.

wendy says:

I don’t hate the giraffe print, I think it’s really fun! I love that Horner fabric. I missed that one!

Alissa says:

I love the smocked shirt! I am new to your blog and love all the pieces that you have made for your summer wardrobe!

Sara says:

So do you sleep at all? Or just sew? ;)
    Both pieces are incredible. The giraffe print is so sweet.

kelly mae says:

Your dress is crazy fun! Love the pink accents.

Chris says:

Just found you! OMG. I love to make dresses and your styles, choices of fabrics, right up my alley. Wish I could quilt like you, though. Right now I’m waiting for the Anna Maria fabric you made your skirt out of to make her Silhouette Dress. I can’t wait. I have a great assortment of skirts already (Amy Butler Barcelona’s). Love your dress with the cross-over bodice. Too Cute!
    Chris in WI

Cute new clothes! I hope the warm sticks around for you :)

Cheryl says:

I love the top, but my boobs would never be contained. Another way I need to live vicariously through you.

I am telling you – You are doing your thang! So much for not sewing a lot of clothes. You are rocking everything you’ve made so far.

heather says:

I love the print for your dress!!!!!!! I just wish that I had enough guts to try clothes!!! You do a GREAT job!! I love your style!!

Dani says:

Love that smocked shirt!

Ariel says:

I love the animal print…especially since it’s chocolate brown ;) Loving your new wardrobe! Keep going!

Have you tried the free dress pattern she put out? It’s basically the smocked tank but longer and with pockets. Very easy and very cute.

Lizzy says:

I love, love, love, LOVE your blog. I have no idea how I found it, but so very glad I did. You are such a prolific quilter! And quite the seamstress, too! I’ve recently (a year ago?) started quilting and picked up sewing again, but I find I sometimes lack the motivation to continue through to complete my project… which is why I so love to read your blog: you get me wanting to get more projects done!!! A quick question: I had read some bad reviews for Heather’s book, which made me sad since I so love her fabric. I’ve been holding off on getting it due to these reviews. I’m not a terribly experienced seamstress… will I be able to modify the patterns in the book to make them more user-friendly, as you have? Or is it best to stick to more basic patterns/books out there? Thanks!

katie says:

i think the print is great! you have the best summer wardbrobe ever!

Terriaw says:

This is my favorite dress! I love the fabric, the sleeves and that pink trim – perfect combination. I don’t think I could wear the top either, but it looks cute. I have a large piece of that Bohemian fabric that I have been saving for a skirt or some clothing.

erinvega says:

SOOO cute! i have to make a smocked top. how much yardage did you need??

Jennifer says:

Do you mind posting how many rows of elastic you did and how big your panels are? I want to make this one for an adult (I made the child version) but don’t really know where to start for the size of the panels. It’s sooo cute! Really good job:)

I just love the giraffe print!

Em says:

I think the sleeves on the dress are prime. and cute pockets! :)
    I’m so upset that I’m a slow sewer…I really want to try out some smocking! You do great work.

jessica says:

I must, must make that smocked shirt!

Di says:

You have really inspired me to start sewing clothes again. Love the funky print in the dress and the smocked top. Thanks for sharing & inspiring.

Lauren says:

Love the dress, your summer wardrobe is making want to put pockets into everything I make :-)

Kate Dixon says:

Giraffe print is gorg. Love it…especially with the pink trim!

Kelly says:

Love the giraffe dress!

Sewmarm says:

I think the pink accents on the dress, meaning that specific shade of pink, actually add a lot.

Claire says:

Love what you are doing! Very inspiring!

Kathy says:

Love both of them but especially the smock top. Will have to try.

krelsk says:

Good job for you! You certainly are an industrious sewer! Cute smocking…

37. Pingback: another string quilt… completed! – Film in the Fridge