a summer blouse turned bathing suit cover-up

Back to my favorite book!  Heather Ross’s Weekend Sewing…  After I made my revised summer blouse I mentioned that I wanted to try modifying the pattern to make a cute little bathing suit cover up. It really hasn’t been anywhere close to warm enough to even think about the beach, but we’re finally seeing signs of spring, which got me thinking again about this dress (oh, and also the fact that I should be spending more time on the treadmill and less time sewing!)

dress

I had 2 yards of this Anna Maria Horner print that’s been sitting for a while. I never quite knew what to make out of it since the pattern is so large scale… perfect for a dress, no?

I used my revisions from the summer blouse and just extended the length. As you can imagine, 2 yards is not quite enough fabric for a long enough dress, so I was a bit concerned that this would have to end up as another blouse (not that that would be a bad thing!). I scrounged enough fabric to put together the bottom trim, which added about an inch – enough for it to be wearable. Since I was tacking on this extra trim (and not matching up the fabric) I also added a bit of this matching mustard yellow solid I had left over from the Far Far Away quilt. I think it adds a little extra interest.

dress-bottom

It’s still short, and probably some would say it’s too short for a 30-something to be wearing in public, but I think I might just do it anyway. Or maybe I’ll just stick to wearing it at the beach. Somehow it’s ok for beachwear to be shorter than usual…

dress4

I did another vneck on this one, though I made it wider than the last. The sleeves were trimmed to 3/4 length and I added a little more of the solid yellow trim.

dress-sleeve

Oh, and it has pockets! Need I say more?

dress3

Now I just need it to finally warm up so I can wear it!

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to a summer blouse turned bathing suit cover-up

sarah says:

This turned out beautiful I love the fabrics you chose too makes it sing ;-)

Sarah says:

What a lovely dress…and a nice sidewalk too!

Hilary says:

Oh my! That dress is awesome. I have seen that fabric around and I too thought, its too big so I didnt buy it. Its gorgeous!

MichelleB says:

It’s fabulous! A perfect beach cover up. Or as a dress! It looks great on you.

nichole says:

so cute! i tried making the summer blouse this past weekend and i ended up just getting very angry. i’m pretty impressed with how all of your’s have turned out!

Robin says:

very nice dress or beach cover-up…I love the print and the little yellow accents!

that is totally adorable. I have a big Heather Bailey print that would be perfect for this. So so cute!

technical question – how are you facing the neckline?

katie says:

man! you are amazing! That is just too cute and looks great on you!

Ummm…..yes! Fantastic. Great use for that fabric, and you look great. i hesitate with the shortie stuff too, but I think it looks fine on you.

So cute! I love the yellow accents. You can come to my house and wear it today: we are breaking a record from 1931 and hitting 97 degrees! Yuck…

That came out great! I’m one for pockets now that I finally made some. lol. The trim is a great addition, too.

wendy says:

Looks amazing! Wish I could make clothes.

Oh my gosh, I want one. I may have to make something similar … so cool.

I want one! Very cool and comfortable. I may have to try one for myself.

Terriaw says:

This is a great use for that large print fabric! And I love how you modified the summer blouse into a cover-up. I bet by swimsuit season, you will be more comfy in that length, which looks great, especially with the added touch of yellow on the hem.

Kate Dixon says:

Love the print, perfect for the beach! It looks fantastic

Kathy says:

You are incredible! I say, if you’ve got it you’ve got it! It’s not too short for you at all. Lovely fabric, very well done.

Erin says:

That is a great bathing suit cover-up, but get yourself some cute mid-calf tights and wear it as a dress! Great job!

carrie says:

that is really cute and i just love the fabric. very nice!

carrie jo says:

Ah! I have 3 yds of the same fabric in a different colorway that I’ve been itching to sew into a dress–thank you for verifying that it looks smashing as a dress! Lovely work!

Fulvia says:

It’s only too short if you are self-conscious about wearing it; but you and it look fabulous!

lisap says:

Perfect length on you: I’ve assumed you were in your early 20′s as long as i’ve been reading your blog! Love your fabric choices!

You are so talented! It looks GREAT on you, and I love the fabric :) Great job!

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Cute, cute….you look great in it.

kathy says:

cute, cute, cute! And to heck with the 30-something stuff…wear it as looong as you can!

Zarah says:

I think it’s darling. I love the touch of yellow at the edges. I just got some really nice cotton lawn fabric to make that shirt, but I have to buy the tracing paper and wheel first.

amandajean says:

it’s wonderful! and do i spy another finished quilt on the rock?
    i received my fabric from your giveaway today. thanks so much! i’m excited to use it. :)

Sara says:

You are turning in to quite the garment maker! Beautiful work on the dress. The fabric choice is spot on and the little extra mustard sets it off perfectly.
    What a tease that work of art is on the rock in the background!!

Mrs B says:

Looks amazing. I don’t think it’s too short, it’s modest enough on top to get away with it. The fabric is amazing – I do love Anna Maria!

Janey says:

Oh I love it, and speaking as a 33yr old I would SO wear that at that length. You could add a cute pair of jean shorts or long jeans with flip flops underneath too.

Sara says:

What a great way to use such a bold print fabric!

Miss Behave says:

Wow, this is just plain awesome! You really make the best revisions on Heathers pattern. And let me tell you this lady: if I had your legs I would wear this dress 24/7!!!

Love that yellow trim! How did you sew this on, it looks like piping.

leanne vibe says:

the dress looks great. it really suits you. you should be proud of your 30something year old body! show it off.
    I love the mustard color trim. It makes the garment look finished,

marta says:

love your latest version of the shirt!! very cute! I’m inspired to do some weekend sewing…

Angela Spalsbury says:

Beautiful! You are really talented. It looks great on you. You should definitely wear it.

*karen says:

GREAT fabric choice. You can totally pull this off.

sheree says:

Great Job!! Love it!!! That print is awesome…nice to see it on a dress, as I never realized how enormous those flowers are.

Don’t save that for the beach! I think it is great as a dress as is and would be darling with little leggings underneath as well.

katie says:

that looks so great. i love the big floral print.

corrie:) says:

perfect! if this 30 something had legs like yours i’d wear it short too!!!!

well done…its my fave book too!
    Corrie:)

christine says:

the age is irrelevant…own it and no one will question it. i think it looks great. i recently got the book and i am dying to try making the top. thank you for your inspiration.

sarah ann says:

v. cute dress. i also love the pockets and think it would be perfect for the beach – or you could wear it over some jeans.

Deb C. says:

Perfect. You can wear that anywhere girl. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Melany says:

Love it. Love it. For the beach, for the store, for a day out – ANYWHERE! It’s lovely and you look great.

44. Pingback: a handmade summer wardrobe - Film In The Fridge