Far Far Away improv quilt

New favorite? I think maybe!

ffa-front

This quilt came about simply because I wanted to use some of the new Heather Ross Far Far Away fabric for quilting.  Since I didn’t have any specific plan in mind I decided to go for an improv style – cutting strips and pieces for some log cabin-ish blocks. After I made the first two, I really was wondering how they’d go together – my feelings were pretty ‘eh’ on the whole project. Finally I decided to pull in a few solid colors – the orange, mustard, yellow and blue and suddenly it started to have a more cohesive feel.

ffa-blocks

I used at least one piece of the green unicorn print in each block, as well as one piece of the brown polka dot (well, in all blocks except the very first one I made!) and I think this also helps tie them all together.

The size of each block varied, but I framed them all in white and cut them to 15″ square then sashed it all with white. And I ended up with a pretty big quilt! After washing, it measures about 58″ x 72″.

ffa-quilt

For the back, I used large pieces of the leftover Far Far Away fabrics, mainly because I was interested in seeing how it would be after quilting and washing, and also because I thought it would be nice to have those super soft fabrics on the back.

ffa-back

(Although I admit that it was quite hard to use such large pieces of this fabric for a backing!)

ffa-back2

And I did get one of those cute selvedges incorporated in the backing. Total Heather Ross groupie? Ok, I admit it…

selvedge

It’s quilted in a random meandering and bound with the blue solid. I think my favorite part may be the colors in this quilt. Perhaps because they’re not my typical go-to colors, and perhaps because I wasn’t loving it initially. Now it’s a new favorite color grouping – one you may see again in the future!

binding3

So what can I tell you about these fabrics for quilting? I think they worked really well. I was hesitant about how they’d work with other fabrics since the double gauze is so different than quilting cotton, but especially once it’s quilted, I don’t think you’d immediately notice that it’s a different type of fabric. You’ll notice when you touch it though – the feel of the double gauze is so soft and nice to the touch. The two layers gives it a soft cushy feel which is quite nice in a quilt.

My main problem was that I felt as if it were really delicate, so I tried to be really careful and consequently sewing with it was a slower process. I realize now that it’s really much stronger than I thought, and I don’t think I needed to be so careful.

I didn’t prewash the fabric, and consequently my main concern was that it was going to shrink quite a bit. I even took photos of it before I washed it, just in case there was a problem – that way I would be able to show you a ‘before’ picture! I need not have worried – it washed really well and while the entire quilt did shrink several inches, it wasn’t any more than what I’ve come to expect.

Overall I give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up!

This quilt is now for sale in the shop!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Far Far Away improv quilt

Alissa says:

Me too!! I love it – and isn’t it fun to make blocks this way??

Vicki says:

Beautiful! I really like the blue you used. The colors all go so well together. And the large pieces on the back look great.

sarah says:

Definitely a fav. It’s so pretty!

kerri says:

it turned out so beautiful!! i love it!! and the back is so pretty too!!

Tanya says:

Your quilt turned out beautifully! I love the randomness of your blocks, each one is a little piece of art. Kudos to you for using the large pieces on the back of the quilt… the designs are so fun and colorful they deserve to be showcased vs. safely tucked away in a storage bin (I bet H.R. would agree).

Sara says:

Every time you post a new quilt, it’s my new favorite of yours. This one is no exception. I really love the improv blocks and the addition of the solids. My favorite part (other than the Heather Ross fabric) is the little black and blue block in the center of the bottom row. Really sweet.

julie says:

Ashley,
    First off beautiful quilt. I just love watching what you create.
    May I ask where you purchased this line and also about how much you bought each of the line. I think this is so cute and would darling in my daughter’s room
    thanks so much
    julie

• 8
      admin says:

Hi Julie – thanks! I purchased this from Pink Chalk Fabrics, but I believe it’s out of stock at the moment. It seems as though most shops are getting a second shipment in May. You can find some on Etsy still – fabricworm and fabricsupplies have a couple of the prints, or you may want to check Superbuzzy – http://www.superbuzzy.com. Hope this helps!

Shelly says:

Cute and I luv the back! Trying new things is fun! Well done!

Amy Sp says:

I have to say that I love the block on the bottom row in the middle the best, but the whole quilt overall is adorable! I’m trying to resist buying fabric right now, but you’re not making it easy on me. Great Work!

Robin says:

This is a very pretty quilt…I love the fabric and all of the white!

MichelleB says:

It’s fabulous! Thanks for all of the info on that double gauze. I just might have to get some now.

Martha says:

It’s absolutely beautiful. The speed and inspiration you have on your quilts is just amazing.

Kris says:

I love this quilt and the colors are fantastic! It’s funny that you say you weren’t quite sure about them, since it worked out so beautifully. I’ll have to keep this scheme in mind :)

Tricia says:

Thanks for all the information on using this type of fabric! I’ve got a stack of it here and have grown more excited about it with each of your posts!
    Tricia

Ariel says:

oh, very nice! I am so excited to get my hands on some of this fabric…GREAT design!

Suzanne says:

I’m so glad you did this project! I have a bunch of this fabric coming and I was questioning whether or not I could quilt with it and mix it with quilting cotton. Your project has been so inspirational and educational. Thank you for sharing. And wow – you ended up with a gorgeous finished quilt!

Autumn says:

I love the color combination. It is on the softer side, but still has an edge. I love it. I’ll have to keep these colors in mind for a project some day.

Angie says:

It’s gorgeous, what a wonderful job!

stephanie says:

I love it – great use of color!

Amber says:

Thanks for all the info – now I won’t be worried about throwing mine in the washer :-)
    It turned out beautiful – both the back and the front and I love how you used a little piece of selvedge…it is pretty cute selvedge huh!

LFinn says:

I love the way the colors just came together in this quilt! The fabric is stunning, and you have highlighted its best features:-) Thanks for sharing. I do have a question, for you or another commenter–I love to sew but have never tackled a quilt. I would like to make one, like a small-ish lap quilt, for my brother’s upcoming wedding. Is there a standard ‘size’ for quilts, or does it just vary by what you do?

• 24
      admin says:

LFinn – Thanks! I’m not sure if there is a standard lap quilt size or not… maybe some other commenter will know. Most of my quilts have been made to use on the couch and the sizes vary a bit, but most of them end up about this size or slightly smaller. With this size, two of us can lay under it (one on either end!) and both be covered. I guess that’s not a very definitive answer… Maybe you could measure your favorite blanket or throw to give you a better idea of what size you’d want to make your quilt?

katie says:

Looks fantastic! I’m still waiting on my order of that fabric and I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

erin vega says:

LOVE IT! my daughter would just be so in love with this! hmmmm….

Cheryl says:

Fantastic. Damn girl, you are fast! And you are right, the solids needed to be there.

Rita says:

I love it when a quilt comes together without specific design in mind! This quilt is just fantastic! You are very clever!

Fulvia says:

Don’t think of it as “the back”; think of it as “the other side” of a two-sided quilt! It’s lovely.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

For LFIN
    65″ X 88″ = twin
    80″ X 88″ = double
    86″ X 93″ = queen
    Ashley, love the quilt a LOT and all the extra info on the fabric. This is really good to know.

amandajean says:

what a beautiful finish, ashley! i LOVE the colors. that blue/grey, orange and mustard yellow really do if for me. and then the punch of lime green is the icing on the cake. nice job, as usual!

Sam says:

Oh, Ashley, it’s just beautiful! I can’t wait to get my hands on some of this delicious fabric, although now I’m thinking nothing I make can compare with this lovely quilt!

katie says:

great quilt. love the back.

amisha says:

this is absolutely beautiful! the colors are really wonderful together. and the back looks great too– it’s a great two-sided quilt!

kelly says:

What a beautiful quilt, I really liked how you did the backing. Thanks for another showing me another line to lust after!

Liesl says:

I love it! I hope you’ll show it to Heather–she would be over the moon to see her fabrics used in such a terrific way. Cheers!

anina says:

Stunning! Congratulations. And good for you for using that fabric on the back. It was truly worth it.

Tacha says:

I love it! I particularly love the solids you added.

Claudia says:

I’ve been so afraid of cutting into my Far Far Away, but your quilt finally inspired me to take the leap! It does seem so much more delicate than quilting cotton and I’m not used to the stretchiness. Have you thought of making any Weekend Sewing clothes out of the Far Far Away? I bet that would look darling!

sheree says:

This turned out so great!!! I would not call that the quilt back…it is definitely a “reversible” quilt…as both sides are just beautiful!!

Melissa says:

I just recently found your site and have enjoyed looking at your beautiful work!

I wonder if you have any tips you could offer on how you do your quilting. I have tried to stipple and find that I just don’t seem to have the knack for it. I see, espcially on this quilt, that your random meandering does cross itself – am I right about this? Do you have any sort of method you use that might help me figure out how to try quilting like this? I’m a self-taught quilter but so far have only been able to do straight line quilting except on small practice pieces where I can sometime make stippling look ok. I’m thinking that if I was doing something that was sort of “no-rules” like I think this might be, I might actually be able to handle it!!! Thanks for any advice you have!

Kay Burklin says:

What an adorable way to include the selvedges…nice job!

43. Pingback: Craft-A-Little » Blog Archive » weekend quilting