two baby quilts and a scrap winner!

blue-strip-2

Remember these simple quilts? I made them to use up some extra batting, and also to give me a chance to try some loopy quilting. I’ve always admired the look, and was up for trying something different. Turns out it’s harder than it looks!

pink-strips-back

For the pink strip quilt I did simple loops in each of the strips, varying the size of the loops based on the width of the strip.

pink-strips1

On the blue strip quilt I tried out the loopy figure 8 pattern, as seen on many of the quilts in Denyse Schmidt’s book. Mine does not have quite that perfect figure 8 look, but I’m pleased with it regardless. Imperfectly perfect, let’s say…

blue-stripblue-strip-back

And the trip through the washer and dryer gave them that lovely crinkled look!

Oh yes, the winner… my oh my, I was so happy to hear from so many of you! Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like we’ll be seeing some beautiful things made of Heather Ross’s new fabric.

(I was also pleased to hear that I’m not the only one waiting until the very last minute to get taxes done… at least I’m not alone! Although I beg of you — please remind me not to do this next year!!)

So, the random number generator picked our winner — #197, which is AmandaJean. I’ve actually been reading AmandaJean’s fabulous blog since I started sewing about a year ago, and I’m sure most of you read it as well. (if you don’t, you should definitely check it out!) Maybe some of these small scraps will work for one of her small projects!

And since so many people commented and seemed genuinely interested in these scraps, I’ve picked a second winner… #17, Ariel. I hadn’t visited her blog before, but I’m glad I’ve found it – looks like she’s made some great quilts using some of my favorite fabrics. I think I’ll have a few more scraps once I finish the back, so she’ll get a little package of those scraps.

Thanks everyone!

baby-quilts

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to two baby quilts and a scrap winner!

Sara says:

Those quilts are so sweet. Great work on the quilting!

kerri says:

love the baby quilts!! a strip quilt is hopefully one of my next projects. i’ve so far only done the meanduring stippling, but i think the loops look like fun. :)

congradulations amandajean and ariel!! how lucky to get some of the far far away fabrics!!

Allie says:

Those quilts both turned out great! What fun.

Congrats to the winners! your quilting looks great :)

barbara says:

They look amazing, how big are they? I haven’t done anything except straight lines so I apprecaite the different quilting design!

katie says:

i think they came out great.

Cristin says:

What lovely quilts! Your new quilting design looks fab, seriously! I’m still practicing my free-motion quilting… I don’t want to ruin any REAL quilts :-) Well done!

And congrats to the winners! I have visited AmandaJean’s blog – I love it!

Alissa says:

Oh I love them both! Such cute quilts!!

Whitney says:

I’m a little bit overwhelmed by how much I really like that boy quilt. Well, maybe just whelmed, because I like all of your quilts. But seriously, something about those colors, fabrics and the loopies make this one of my faves.

Tracy says:

Just stopping by to say that I like your style, and I like your blog, and I’m putting you in my reader. Glad to have found you!

anina says:

Lovely quilts. Congratulations to the winnders.

Holy Cow! When do you breathe? I still have easter crafts sitting around here half finished, and everyday I see a new front or back or quilt on your page. I’m completely in awe. And fully blaming my new fabric addiction on you :)

Lula Dahl says:

Oh man! I wish I had some of that Heather Ross gold fish fabric!

amandajean says:

that is perfect quilting for the strip quilts. i love it!

i’m so happy that i am a winner! thank you so much for your sweet words. :) i’m already dreaming of ways to use the scraps. it’ll be fun!

Amanda says:

I have always wanted to try the loopy quilting. It looks so great with your quilt top design! Love the blog, btw!

Aimee says:

I love what you ave done with the loping, the texture it gives is fab!! I just love looking at the backs…….love seeing the quilting pattern on the solids.

Mrs B says:

Ashley, your blog is so inspiring. I am in awe of your level of activity. I started my first quilt in January and still haven’t finished (I’m hand quilting). Two children under four also mean progress is slow. You’ve inspired me to buy a free motion quilting foot. Did you just start experimenting with the foot yourself? I’d love if you did a post about your experience of free motion quilting. I also love your designs – keep up the amazing work!

Angie says:

Those turned out great, I love the colors you chose :-)

Dixie says:

Ashley, I just stumbled across your blog and I have to say, it very inspiring! Like, Mrs.B, I would like to know more about your free motion quilting, too. What pattern do you use to quilt the top and get the crinkely look? I like to make lap quilts, but don’t do much quilting on them. I love all the colors!!!

Ariel says:

Ashley, I just received my scrap pack in the mail! Thank you so much…I love it all…!

Victoria says:

I love! love! your creations. I’m a hand quilter to the finish however I want to learn to machine quilt for some projects I want to finish quickly. I love the way your quilts look! What batting do you use? What machine do you use? I saw a comment that you wash to get that antique puckered quality which I LOVE so much!! One last thing! I love all the white you use in your quilts. They look crisp and fresh and show of your work so well!

22. Pingback: Quilt Show and Baby Shower « *Snippets and Blabbery*

Lizzie says:

Is there a pattern or tutorial for this – I love it and I am trying to find a pattern for my first quilt- just love this- but I would need it in a queen, I dont know how to figure out how much fabric I need, and I know its just stripes but I dont know how you stitched them together…