Far Far Away quilt top

For some reason I was kind of obsessed with getting these blocks done this weekend. Possibly because I’m trying to keep my sewing area a bit neater lately. I figured that rather than picking up and putting away all these fabrics and then pulling them out again the next time I wanted to make a block, I’d just make all the blocks all at once (and then just clean up once!) It worked, though it was a lot of blocks to make in a short amount of time! I don’t think I’ll try it that way again…

far-far-away-quilt-top-2

These aren’t my typical colors and it’s a real change from the last couple bright quilts I’ve made, but I really like the end result. someone used the word ‘soothing’ in a comment on the previous post, and i think that’s a good description. I do find these colors calming and soothing, and while they’re more muted than what I’m typically drawn to, it’s a nice change.

far-far-away-quilt-top

What’s even nicer is that when I first started this quilt, I wasn’t loving it, but now that I have the top (nearly) completed, I really like the final result! That’s always fun, right? These are a couple of my favorite blocks –

princess-blockfrog-block

I still have to add the white sashing to the sides, but then this top is done! I think I’ll try to use the remaining Far Far Away fabrics for a pieced back.

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Far Far Away quilt top

anina says:

Strange. These are not my colors either, but I love this top.

Mandy says:

I love the Princess and the Pea fabric! I’ve always wanted to incorporate that fairy tale into a quilt somehow, it’s so fitting. Love it!

Anita says:

I love this quilt! Did you buy a fat quarter set of this fabric for the quilt?

kerri says:

oh, i just love this quilt!! now i really can’t wait to get my hands on some of the far far away fabrics!! :)

This is lovely! Can’t wait to see it quilted!

Katie says:

I love this, it is very mellow! What company did you get the solids from if you don’t mind me asking?

admin says:

Anita – Thanks! I bought a yard of a couple of them, and a 1/4 yard of one. I have plenty left to make a backing!

admin says:

Katie – Most of the solids are Robert Kaufmann Kona cotton. I think one of them is a Moda Bella solid.

Alissa says:

I love love love love this one!! I love all of your quilts – but this improv piecing is kinda branching out for you and I LOVE the results! Seriously, this my might be fav. of all of the quilts you’ve made!

abcgirl says:

it’s fantastic! my favorite is the princess and the pea block. great wonky action!

katie says:

love this one. i can not believe how fast you crank these puppies out! everyone is so great!

Marit says:

Its so lovely in the more subdued colors and georgeos wonkyness. One of my all time favorites!!! I would love to get my hands on some of the Far far away fabrics, but they are hard to find online ; (

laura says:

I really like the bottom right block pictured… it looks like a perfectly framed picture. Lovely.

Angie says:

Oooh, I love the colors, great job on this quilt!

Terriaw says:

Cool quilt top. I love how you used these fabrics in those “off-kilter” / improv blocks. I like the sashing too – really offsets the blocks.

Shelly says:

Very cute! I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Well done!

Great quilt! the soft colors are nice :)

bonnie says:

fantastic quilt.

Jessica says:

hey there, can you do a tutorial on how to do these blocks that are willy-nilly? i am new to quilting and i see them all over the place, but can not figure out how people are doing them. love the look.

your quilts are very inspirational.

Kate Dixon says:

Looks fantastic and the fabric choices work well together.

Marci_jo says:

I just love your quilts. I love the white with the pop of colour, very fresh looking.

Rachel says:

Another favorite! Mine will probably sit on my shelf for a while…
    On another note, did you ever find any Heather Ross yellow mushrooms? I’ve got a bit so let me know.

admin says:

Kate – The measurements for this quilt can be found here. Let me know if you make one!

erin vega says:

i love your quilt top! this fabric is so gorgeous. my daughter would love it!

amandajean says:

it’s such a wonderful quilt top! i LOVE the slightly muted colors. i did the same thing when piecing my last quilt-i didn’t want to put the blocks away and have to haul them out again…it forced me to finish it, but i did have a little burn out at the end. :)

27. Pingback: far far away… a tiny little giveaway! - Film In The Fridge

Ariel says:

I really like this color scheme. It looks late 60’s vintage. My favorite block is the yellow one in the middle of the bottom row. Love that yellow paired with the aqua-grey.

Rebecca says:

How did you make the blocks for this quilt? I am new to quilting and I am seeing all of these improvising designs online, but I only see traditional block patterns in books.