scattered mini blocks quilt – done!

mini-blocks2

I just pulled this one out of the dryer, and boy do I love it! It’s colorful, crinkly, and includes so many of my favorite fabrics – what’s not to love?! I suppose I can call this the first finished project for Jacquie’s Spring to Finish challenge. I started this one back in February and since then it’s been spread out on our guest room bed. I looked at it every time I came up the stairs, but never felt motivated enough to make a back for it.

mini-blocks-front

I finally took the plunge last weekend, and actually came up with something I really like. I picked two of my favorite blocks from the front and used those same fabrics to create two sets of strips along the back (and as I mentioned, this is what reminded me how much I like a strip quilt and led to those two baby quilts from yesterday!)

mini-blocks-back1

(Many thanks to my brother, Ryan, for coming over as soon as I called him to hold the quilt up for me… I failed to notice he was holding it up upside down, but that’s ok!)

I tried to keep the same tie-in for the binding, selecting a different block from the front and using those fabrics for a pieced binding. (of course I realized after cutting strips of two of those fabrics that I didn’t have any of the third left, so I had to substitute another fabric that had similar colors – oops!)

binding

This one will be taking the place of our current ‘couch quilt’. We’re still getting snow here in Vermont, so quilts are definitely still required!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to scattered mini blocks quilt – done!

Autumn says:

I love it, just totally love it. I’m inspired to make one that’s like it. It’s a great use for those smaller pieces of our favorite fabrics. Great job!

Doris says:

Ashley, I love that quilt! Congrats on your first finish. We got snow in Iowa this weekend–ugh! Reminds me of my time living in Woodstock, VT when there was actually a skiing “play-hooky” day in early June!

Cristin says:

Well done! I love your fabric and color choices… I have yet to make a couch quilt of my own… SOON! I promise!

Zonnah says:

What an amazing quilt! Now I want to make one :)

Kim says:

Gorgeous. Even when you don’t get snow in Vermont you still need a quilt I think! I have been known to wear a hat in August.

amandajean says:

it’s amazing! that backing is really something special.

Jen G says:

Just a really quick question….when you buy fabrics with no real quilt in mind, but just love the fabrics, how much do you usually buy? I am always torn between buying too much and being scared of not having enough. Any hints? Thank you.

jessica says:

You’ve just inspired my next quilt!

Penny G says:

Love your quilt. I am a Florida girl and even though we have spent many weeks in Vermont watching the leaves change and of course visiting the Ben and Jerry’s factory and the Cabot cheese outlet, I can’ t imagine living in Vermont through a winter. I am sure your quilt will be well used.

Michaela says:

I love how crinkly it looks, well it is. Beautiful!

Angela says:

Looks wonderful. He didn’t have a this-end-up arrow, so he can be excused :)

katie says:

so pretty. I hope we don’t get any snow here in Maine! I bet we will though.

Ariel says:

Girl, you need an etsy store. Do you have one? The way you turn out beauties of quilts, you need to be selling them!

Krista says:

Seriously this is awesome!

Joey says:

This is gorgeous. What size are the mini blocks? the whole quilt?

admin says:

Thanks Joey! The mini blocks are all 4″ square, and the quilt measures 48″ x 70″.

geez, i vascillate between simple joy at seeing these quilts and simple envy at the rate at which you put them out. i’ve got to wait til my kids are grown, i think, before i can even get beyond napkins… argh.

jennifer says:

Gorgeous! I would have never thought to make a quilt with squares that don’t touch. (I have a hard time thinking outside the box when it comes to quilting. I’m working to change that) :)

Ginger says:

I’m late to this comment, but I was going to say the same thing that Angela said about not having an arrow so how would he know which way to hold it! Lovely quilt. Where do you store all your finished items?

Belva says:

I love this quilt and how you are always thinking outside the box. I love popping over to your blog – I’m never disappointed and constantly inspired.

Katherine says:

Oh my gosh, this is my new favorite quilt!!! I’m so looking forward to the day my procrastination takes a hike so I can make a mini version!

Susie Dakers says:

I love the simplicity of this quilt. It has given me inspiration for some blocks I am making to use up left overs from another quilt.