Yes, more baby quilts!

This really only came about due to some excess batting… After cutting batting for a few ‘throw’ sized quilts, I was left with strips of batting about 38″ wide. Not wide enough for most quilts I make, but certainly appropriate for a baby quilt. I didn’t want it to go to waste, nor did I want to have to store these pieces, so I decided to make a couple really simple baby quilts.

blue-up-closepink-up-close

I love a simple strip quilt, and I was reminded of that after making a backing for my scattered mini blocks quilt this weekend. I pulled out a bunch of my favorite fabrics (and yes, you’ll recognize the color schemes – nothing new there!) and cut strips in a variety of widths. I sewed them together and cut to the size of my batting.

blue-strips

I think I’m going to use them to try out some different quilting – I’ve always loved the loopy quilting shown on a lot of Denyse Schmidt’s quilts in her book, and this might be a good way to test it out!

pink-strips

And, unrelated, but must be mentioned – I received my order of Heather Ross’s new fabric, Far Far Away… I don’t even know what to say – it’s gorgeous! I have no plans for it, I just knew I had to have it. I think I’ll just sit and stare at it for a while. I bought some from Kathy at Pink Chalk Fabrics and some from Cynthia at Fabricworm. I think they both still have a bit left, so if you’re looking, you may want to try there. I’m not sure I can pick a favorite, though I am loving the green and blue colorway (although I’m really dying to have a bit in all the colors and all patterns – you know I’m a fabric hoarder!)

far-far-away

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Yes, more baby quilts!

Sarah says:

I love strip quilts they look so fun and I am just dying to get my hands on some of that far far away fabric. I cant’ wait to see what you make out of it

Cute and resourceful quilts! your new fabric is yummy :)

Allison says:

I love the look of a simple strip quilt, and paired with those fabrics you can’t go wrong! Beautiful again! -Allison

Cheryl says:

I buy only king sized batts now and get at least 3-4 quilts out of them. And my doll quilts are sized according to what’s left over.
    At a quilt show once I saw one project that made rectangular quilts out of the batt strips left over. Then they wove the whole thing together. It was a very heavy, dense quilt.

wendy says:

I want some far far away!!!

Sara says:

You were quick on the draw with the Far Far Away! I saw it there one day and the next it was gone…much to my dismay! I WILL have some though. I will.

Cristin says:

I’m in love with strip quilts too! I recently finished this one from Amy Butler fabric:
    Well done on your baby quilts!

katie says:

your new fabric is so great. I love that loop quilting in her book. i have tried doodling it on a piece of paper for pratice. I am a horrible drawer though. I might just go for it.
    Love the baby quilts. i can’t wait to hear how it goes~

kate says:

Darling combinations of fabric on those quilts! How DO you churn these out so quickly??

I’m so coveting Far Far Away.

And also? YAY VERMONT!!!

Leigh says:

Beautiful baby quilts! Question: is your HR goldfish from your stash? I saw that back before I was sewing a lot, and I really wish I had purchased some then. It makes me so happy when I see that fabric.

jacquie says:

easy but fab too! i’ve heard that far far away is a little thin for quilts…what’s your take on it?

MLE says:

You have a new quilt every week! I love it! Good luck on the quilting!

erin says:

cute quilts!
    dying to get my hands on some far far away, too. i think i am going to wait until i can see it in person, though.

amandajean says:

i love a simple strip quilt, too. i like how you’ve made your quilts to fit your batting scraps. and the color schemes you used are perfect. maybe i need to whip up a few of those to help burn through my fabric stash so i can justify buying more. :)

Alissa says:

As usual your taste is impeccable!

Beautiful! I love simple quilts like this, they are my favorite!

~ Shelly ~

18. Pingback: scattered mini blocks quilt - done! - Film In The Fridge

Anna says:

Those baby blankies are so cute and so handy to have around for emergency baby showers, or whatever. My first quilt I recently quilted was a baby blanket and it helped me gain confidence in my quilting ability. (I guess I’m easily confident.) What a great way to use up that extra batting! Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Anna