Fuchsia Seas baby quilt

So it’s no secret that I was looking forward to doing a little quilting. I originally pulled out my spring quilt to cut more blocks, but then decided I needed a smaller, quicker project. Instant gratification, you know? I opted to make this cute little baby quilt instead. It’s one that I had intended to make over a month ago, before I left for Florida – thinking I might try selling a couple baby quilts locally. We’ll see…

fuchsia-seas1

Anyway, for this one I used mainly Heather Ross prints – I do love them so! I hadn’t used any of the fuchsia and gold prints, so that’s what I went with for this quilt. I really love the fuchsia color, and think it makes a great baby girl quilt in a slightly less ordinary color scheme.

fuchsia-seas21fuchsia-seas3

(you can see that the late day sun gives the colors a very different look!)

I used the same pattern as Ryan’s This End Up quilt – just sized down to baby quilt size. The back is made up of a large piece of Amy Butler Coriander which matches the fuchsia prints pretty perfectly. I used remaining pieces from the front to create one simple strip of blocks which is set off by one smaller white strip on either size.

fuchsia-seas-back

And now that it’s done, I want to keep it for myself! (isn’t that always the case?!)

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Fuchsia Seas baby quilt

MichelleB says:

It’s lovely! I love the back, too. I can see why you want to keep it. I have some of those Mendocino fabrics – but not in the fuchsia. I’m looking forward to working with them.

Beth says:

It’s beautiful! I love the backing too. There are many times when I lay our quilts with the backs up, just to admire the rich contrast of that one stripe.

Kat says:

I love this!!! Adding the AB was a good choice.

Your Number 1 Fan says:

How I just love this quilt (and I’m not even a fan of gold)! Am I the only person who’s shocked (and utterly impressed) by the swiftness with which you complete quilts? I swear you weren’t home last week, nor did you have this started before you left, not to mention that you didn’t even have it in mind…Go Rocky, my rockstar!

Natalie says:

This quilt is too cute! I would have a hard time giving it up as well. The color scheme is not traditional but so PRETTY!

kerri says:

oh, i just love it!! the back is just as stunning as the front too!

It is always so inspiring to see other people’s work and to see quilts made of fabric that I have looked and thought, “I guess that fabric is okay…but I’m moving on to something else.” Then I see what someone has done with it, and it is absolutely stunning. I love everything about this quilt and think Amy Butler’s coriander was the perfect choice. I’m very inspired. Thanks.

Alissa says:

Super cute! I understand the desire to keep it! I’ve found though that once the quilt is given away and out of sight, the pain eases quickly! At least for me… good luck with selling baby quilts!

Dani says:

Very sweet! I like the quilting you did – is it just an all over random pattern? (I can’t quite see the detail in the pic). Did you use a free motion foot?

Amy says:

More wonderfulness! I love it.

kate says:

Wow! That is so gorgeous! FAR too cute to get spit up on! :) I LOOOVE that Heather Ross fabric, and am so in awe of your quilting skills. Just lovely.

Mal* says:

Very pretty combo of colors! I’ve seen those fabrics around, but I think this is my favorite combination of them. Lucky baby!

Valerie says:

Ooh, I really love what you did with these fabrics! I have been hoarding my Heather Ross mermaids for so long — I just need to pick a project already and get on with it. Your post may be just the inspiration I was needing…:)

Janet says:

Beautiful quilt! Great colors. You work so fast!
    Do you mind telling me what kind of sewing machine you have? I just started quilting and the one I have isn’t good for free motion quilting at all. I would appreciate your insight.

admin says:

Dani – the quilting is just random stippling. I did use a free motion foot to quilt this.

admin says:

Janet – I use a Pfaff (not sure of the model – expressions, maybe?) I like it a lot, but I haven’t spent too much time trying out other machines, so I’m not sure I’d be the best person to ask! I can say that I’ve never had a problem sewing or quilting with this machine!

Lisa says:

Love your quilt, it is so pretty and the colors are great!

kelly says:

I just love the back..I want to make a whole quilt that looks like your back with maybe another row or 2…thanks for the inspiration.

Taylor says:

this is really cool! I have given away every single quilt I have made…and for each one I swore I would keep it for myself! :) it’s hard to do!

katie says:

to die for! i love, love the back.

gardenymph says:

Sigh. It’s lovely. And the backing is as delicious as the front. :~)

Amalie says:

ah, I love both sides. It is beautiful.

debbie says:

oh-I love this quilt. what size are the blocks?

ashley says:

Kelly – Thanks! I actually thought the same thing. As soon as I made the back, I started thinking about using that as a quilt front for some other quilt. Let me know if you make one – I’d love to see it!

admin says:

Debbie – Thank you! The blocks are 7.5″ x 10.5″ – the inner rectangles varied in height, though I kept the width the same at 2.5″.

27. Pingback: Baby Quilts

28. Pingback: “Sea”gull quilt top - Film In The Fridge

Pat says:

Great choice for the back!

Cheryl says:

If I’d known you had all that Amy Butler in pink I would have flown down there to steal it from you! One of my favourite all-time prints and my supply is so low. I have it in a few colours.
    Great quilt!