a boca grande wedding

I think most of you know by now that Morgan and I recently got married in Florida. You may even recall his proposal, back in October. We both knew that we didn’t want to spend too many months planning and stressing over wedding plans, so we opted to get married in March. We wanted to keep it small, mainly just family. We also both agreed that March in Vermont is not ideal, so we quickly decided on our favorite place in Florida – Boca Grande. I was lucky enough to live there for a year after college, and since then we’ve tried to get down there at least once a year. It seemed like a great location for our wedding.

Of course, it turns out that planning a wedding from afar isn’t very easy, but I think we achieved what we wanted — a small, casual Florida wedding. We discovered a wonderful spot for the ceremony at the Johann Fust Library. It opens to a beautiful courtyard with lovely palm trees and bougainvillea.

ceremony-setting

ceremony

We arrived by golf carts (of course!)

golf-cart-arrival

and some of our family arrived on bikes

bike-arrival

And we lucked out and found a wonderful woman to perform the ceremony. If you’re looking for an officiant in Southwest Florida, I highly recommend Grace.  We found her online and only met with her once, about a week before the wedding.  But somehow she was able to create a personalized ceremony just for us — exactly what we wanted.

grace1

Following the ceremony we enjoyed a wonderful lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, PJ’s Seagrille. We did some simple floral arrangements with fun, vibrant colors and of course my colorful polka dotted napkins!

flowers

The idea for the napkins was from this wedding. I loved the thought of incorporating my favorite fabrics and decided to do something very similar. My sister did a wonderful job creating and printing the menus for us. (For those who have asked, the tutorial for these napkins can be found here. I opted for a larger size, starting with a 18″ square of fabric.)

napkins1napkins2

Afterwards we left to take advantage of all the great locations for photos, while everyone else spent some time relaxing on the beach.

wedding51

wedding-flowers1

wedding11

wedding22

wedding41

wedding31

We had a great time, and we are so pleased that so many of our family members were able to join us. It really made for a very special celebration!

wedding-family

And now that we’re back home, it’s time for some quilting! I’ve already pulled out a few things I was working on before we left, so hopefully I’ll have a new one to show soon. I had thought that I’d show you all the fabric that was waiting for me when I got home, but after seeing it, I’m afraid you might think I have a real problem!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to a boca grande wedding

Meghan says:

You guys look so happy–what a beautiful wedding. I absolutely love your dress–the neckline is great.

Alissa says:

Beautiful wedding!! Looks like it was an amazing time!

katie says:

looks like such a special time. yay! congrats.

Jona says:

Beautiful! Location, colors, dress!! Everything!

I love it all. The limey green bouquet, the flowers, beautiful.

I’m so glad Giovanni and I were able to make it to see you and Morgan on your special day. Everything was beautiful and perfect!

Julie says:

Lovely post! Congratulations.

Deanne says:

Your dress is so pretty…very simple, yet stunningly stylish. Am I the only one noticing the great shoes in some of those pics? Love it!

kate says:

Your wedding looks lovely and you are both adorable!

I found you via flickr; Amy Butler group I think…I’m not a crazy stalker…not really… :)

I’m researching warm, sunny places to take my hubby for his birthday at the end of May; Boca Grande looks wonderful! Could you recommend some places to stay? We lean toward funkie, independent, off-the-beaten path rather than, you know, the Four Seasons. But we want clean and comfortable and close to (or ON) the beach. I’d so appreciate any advice you could offer! Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Frogdancer says:

You look so much like a friend of mine at work. (We’re teachers). She recently got married and they decided to do it in Thailand. They had an elephant at the ceremony and the wedding party all carried bright umbrellas. Your photos reminded me of theirs.
    Congratulations. You both look very happy.

Amy says:

Thank you so much for sharing your wedding photos and story here. It looks like you had a wonderful time. It’s been fun to watch the whole thing progress since the proposal. Congratulations and best wishes to you both! And I’m glad you’re happy with the fabric!

Lovely recap of your special day! Congrats again :)

Nikki says:

Congratulations, you look beautiful, and it looks like a beautiful wedding!

erin says:

speaking of fabric….
    i haven’t forgotten, just haven’t gotten to the p.o.

you wedding look spectacular! blessings to the both of you.

Lyn says:

Such a lovely wedding =) Both of you look so wonderful together =)

Janis says:

Beautiful pictures of a magical day! A lovely post.

Sara says:

looks like it was a wonderful day!

jacquie says:

thanks so much for sharing with all of us! i wish you many wonderful years together!

Anna says:

Wow, what a beautiful place and lovely pictures. Best wishes in your new life together.

kerri says:

oh, what a beautiful wedding!! the pictures are amazing!! thanks so much for sharing, it helps us know you a little better, outside of the quilting world!! :)

jennifer says:

what a small world! i read your blog and i am also the jen from the napkin wedding! what a lovely wedding you had! congratulations!!

lisap says:

Please post a pic of your fabric-we won’t judge you! We will only feel little less guilty about our own problem, er collection!

Ginger says:

OK, I really look like the crazy aunt in that photo of us on the bikes, but I’m slightly nutty anyway, and I did love biking to your wedding, and the whole event was so lovely that I’m just honored to have been there. And Kate, perhaps you’ve already heard from Ash, but in case you haven’t, take a look at the rental house shown at bocagrandebeachhouse.com It was down the street from the house we all stayed in, and if you want to be on the beach, but a short bike/golf cart ride to town, this is the place! I’m going to stay there someday; I’ve not been in it, but the location is great and I think it would be perfect. Plus, the price is right, especially in the off-season.

Ginger says:

I forgot to say that your wedding is the first one I’ve been to where I’ve been able to go shopping between lunch courses! One of the other aunts clued me in, and while I’m not usually a shopper, I had a blast buying a charm bracelet for the urstwhile flower girl for her upcoming birthday. And, I didn’t miss the dessert, which was yummy.

Rae says:

Beautiful!!! Everything looks so fab, esp you + M! I can’t believe you replied to my email about Heather Ross shirt yardage from your honeymoon…I thought you were just on vacation! (: You’re a champ.

amandajean says:

it looks like everything was just perfect. what a GREAT location for a wedding!