a new quilt?

Oh wait, nope… it’s a skirt! Though maybe I should have turned it into a quilt. I still can’t figure out if it works as a skirt, or if I feel like I’m wearing a quilt…

As you may have guessed, the idea is totally inspired by Anna Maria Horner’s wonderful zig zag dress. I don’t think the pattern’s available yet, but I kinda wanted one for Florida so I opted to try my hand at a skirt. I made it the same way I would a zig zag quilt, but only did a few rows, using a few great colorful prints. From there I cut out the front and back pieces, added in an elastic waist and my favorite ruffled bottom (seen earlier here and here).

Apparently I thought I was smaller, since I managed to cut this a bit on the small size. I had to rip it out and resew it with a slightly smaller seam allowance. My sister has been trying to convince me that it’s really more her size…

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to a new quilt?

Noodles says:

I LOVE it as a skirt. I mean, I’m a huge fan of the Anna Marie Horner quilt and dress that she’s got. But I think it’s adorable as a skirt. Yay you!!!

sarah says:

Thats adorable! The colors you used are wonderful

evensweeter says:

yep…still waiting for you to wash and dry that one :)
    maybe it will be ready for me next week? can’t wait!

So cute. Either as a skirt or a quilt. Love it!

Alissa says:

So cute! Love it and it’s perfect for Florida and the heat!!

MichelleB says:

Is is adorable! I love it. Love that little ruffle, too.

Mal says:

I’m in the camp with your sister. If you don’t like it (or the idea of wearing a quilt in Florida!) I’m sure there are plenty of people who would want it. I think it’s adorable! I love the look of it!

betsy says:

wow, that is really cute.
    you have it going on!

Chris says:

Love it! So colorful. Post a pic of it on someone so we can see how it hangs and fits. I don’t think it looks like a quilt at all! I think it looks funky and fun. Enjoy!

Em says:

I just found your blog and really like it! I love all of your quilts and your fabric choices. Just wanted to say hi, and let you know I’ll be enjoying your blog in the future!

jennifer says:

what a super cute skirt! i wish i knew you and it was my size!

Yolanda says:

Good morning. Very cute.

Ariane says:

I think it is a very cute skirt. Actually I saw it in your above post, with the bag, and was thinking how cute it was and then I looked down and saw you made it. Very Cool!

christine says:

After reading today post about the beach bag, I was all set to ask if you made the skirt. Scroll down and little more and there it was. I think it is perfect!

I think it totally works as a skirt, your fabric choices are super great, I’m pretty sure anthro had a patchwork zigzag skirt a few summers ago, plus, missoni is rad zig zags!!!! I’d totally wear it!!!!! Amazing job!!!!!

Amy says:

I just found your blog, and it is so much fun, and I LOVE this skirt! All of your quilts are beautiful too!
    And congratulations on getting married!