I’m a sucker for books

Especially sewing and quilting books. Most of the time I buy them just to have them. (I especially love them when they use my favorite fabrics in their project photos.) I love looking through them, but I don’t often make any of the included projects (you know me and patterns!) I have to say though, that that may change with my newest favorite – Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross.

So far I’m quite impressed with this book – lots of great projects, photos and several photos of projects made with my favorite Flea Market Fancy fabric line.

I was quite taken with the summer blouse, and decided I had to make one right away. I didn’t have any of the lovely Liberty fabric that was used in the book, so instead I used a print from the Mendocino line – because I love the cotton poplin, and mainly because I had a couple yards of it.

I tried to stick to the pattern, but did end up veering off course by the end. I think it’s pretty close though, and I’m happy with the result! And I made sleeves! I think I may try another of these, perhaps next time in a print that doesn’t make me feel quite so much like I’m wearing a nightshirt…

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to I’m a sucker for books

Amy says:

I agree, it’s a fantastic book and I absolutely love your shirt. I think when it’s warmer outside you’ll feel less like you’re wearing a nightshirt and more easy-breezy-summery.

Carrie says:

I haven’t come across that book, but it sounds great. Thanks for the review!

Deanne says:

Ooohh, I really like it. i’ll have to add the book to my list of ones to search out.

Alissa says:

Super cute shirt! Great to know the book is good. I was waiting to see it in person before deciding if I should buy it…

so great!! I was going to go pick that book up today and now I definitely must.

terriaw says:

I didn’t realize this book was out! It looks fabulous. I love love that blouse you made – great fabric for it.

nicole says:

It looks great! Now of course I want to get a peak in thi sbook, too.

turtlewon says:

What I want to know is, when are you going to pack?! Beautiful shirt aside, you have a wedding to attend, soon! Now, put that machine away just for a little while — you know about absence making the heart grow fonder …, and get moving!

Sara says:

Beautiful job on the shirt. I love your choice of fabric (again!).

erica says:

awesome shirt. looks so summery!

claudia says:

I didn’t know about this book until now! Looks like a good one. Your top turned out super and the fabric is nice.

Pikku-Kettu says:

Beautiful shirt! And the fish look especially cheerful. :)

Wow, I just found your blog thru Flickr and I LOVE it! Very inspirational! Will definitely be back to visit – quilty loveliness abounds here!

Janis says:

Your tunic looks wonderful — I’ll have to check out that book!

Kerri says:

oh, what a great book. will have to see if they have that at my library.

your tunic is so lovely. i love that you chose hr fishies, it looks like you are ready for summer! :)

Sara says:

What a great shirt! Love it.

Cheryl says:

Hmm, it might motivate me to try sewing clothing… yeah, I doubt that. But I can dream.

wendy says:

OMG I LOVE that shirt! That is one of my favorite Heather Ross fabrics, well except for the whole Lightning Bugs line of course. Love it!

joree says:

it looks great! will you be taking it with you tomorrow? you should. the weather is perfect for it!

jacquie says:

love your tunic…such a cute idea using that mendicino fabric.

*karen says:

I just got the book and am so inspired to start sewing. I love your shirt. So what if it looks like a pajama top? You can just sew the pajama pants from the book in the same fabric and you’ll have a set!

Amber says:

I am too – can’t wait to get mine in the mail!

That came out really nice! I’ll have to take a peek at this book, now.

Taylor says:

This is so neat! Thanks for sharing—now I definitely want to check out that book! :)

Jenni says:

just stumbled across your blog…in love with your photos. Just added you to reader!

26. Pingback: » Weekend Sewing - summer blouse take 2 » fabric and photos

Karin says:

Beautiful! I love your choice of fabrics. I just recently got the book, and that top is one of the projects I want to make first.