scattered mini blocks

I started making these mini blocks a while back. I originally made them way back here for the back of this quilt (nope, it still hasn’t been quilted!) I enjoy making them because they’re easy to make, they use up a lot of scraps, and you don’t need to put too much thought into it. I typically scatter my scraps on the table and then just piece them on the fly. Once ironed, I cut them to 4″ blocks… 4″ because I like all things mini!

My intention was to make an entire quilt using these blocks, but when I started laying them out, I wasn’t loving it. So instead I stacked them up and set them aside. One day I was looking at them though, and thought that it might be interesting if I sewed them together as if the pile had fallen over and scattered (strange description – does that make any sense?)

So here’s the finished quilt top of scattered mini blocks. I tried not to think too much about placement – just kind of dropping them and then filling in with white. I really did want a random look (though of course it’s not totally random – I did move some around a bit to even out the colors and create enough balance).

I’m really really happy with the way it turned out! The mini blocks are really cute, and I used a lot of scraps so there’s a lot of variety in the prints. I won’t have time to quilt it before we leave, but at least I’ll have something to look forward to upon our return!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to scattered mini blocks

MichelleB says:

It looks great! So inspired. I can hardly wait to see it quilted.

julie says:

wow!
    what a great quilt. I have so many scraps that I think that I am going to try this. it is beautiful.
    I love reading about the quilts you make.
    I also love your zig zag quilt and wanted to know what pattern you used.
    thanks julie

erica says:

I love this! The “scattered” blocks are so interesting (visually)! Can’t wait to see it quilted.

Allison says:

I love it! I love those mini blocks, and all the white. Very nice! I too have my to-be-quilted stack of quilt tops, but after I finish a quilt top I’m just too excited to start another one, its a real problem. :)

Chelsea says:

Very neat, Very well scattered, I have some such trouble achieving that random look. :)

Martha says:

That’s gorgeous. I definitely have to put this on my (ever-growing) to-do list.

Kerri says:

this is so lovely!! i love all the white!!

evensweeter says:

lovely! although, i’m wondering what happened to the name i picked out…i think it was way more fitting than “scattered”. or maybe i just love tetris.

Bobbi says:

Okay… I just have to say that I LOVE this. I love the modern feel of simple quilts and this is excellent. And what a great way to use scraps. I think my next big quilt will be something similar!

Alissa says:

Oh I really really love this one!!! Such a good lookin’ quilt top! It’s going to be amazing once it’s quilted!

Cheryl says:

That’s is fantastic! Such a great idea. I might have to steal it ;)

Sophie says:

Lovin’ the scattered block. Looking forward to seeing this latest project quilted. :)

Janis says:

A very cute quilt! I like things small too. Can’t wait to see this one finished.

When I saw this in the Project Improv flickr pool, I suddenly thought of the song by Robyn, CobraStyle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A-fuFeRekE). It looks “digital” to me. I really like the randomness of the design. It also makes me think of the Matrix computer screens. Great work!

jennifer says:

This is beautiful! I love all the white, however it scares my to death to use it myself. I need to get over that fear. :)

amandajean says:

what a FUN quilt! i love it!!!

This might be my favorite quilt of yours yet! I would really enjoy it as a backing, but I think that would be too much work for me.

Emily C says:

hey again. what kind of white fabric do you use? is there a particular brand you prefer? thanks!

amisha says:

i absolutely adore this… what a fantastic idea! there is so much movement and color in the design, and at the same time modern + crisp. fabulous.
    i came across your blog this morning from heather ross`s journal… your work is lovely!

Marit says:

I think I just found my new favorit! Love it!!!! I am working on a quilt with randomly scattered stars on dark blue. And yes, working out he random part, there is always some grid or module involved… Havn’t posted about it yet.

25. Pingback: Yes, more baby quilts! - Film In The Fridge