a black, white and green baby string quilt

This quilt is a bit of a departure from my typical quilts, but I’m quite taken with it anyway! I always knew I wanted to make a black, white and green baby quilt, so I’ve been setting aside little pieces of black and white fabric for some time now. I had a decent sized stack, but couldn’t decide how to put them together. Originally I was thinking blocks, (as usual!) but I ultimately decided on a string quilt, figuring it would be a good way to use the various sized fabric pieces I had and to show a variety of prints in a small quilt.

It also serves a second purpose. February’s Block Party block is a spiderweb quilt, so this gave me a chance to learn paper piecing before I had to use that technique to make blocks for someone else!

I used freezer paper, and cut squares of 8.5″. In order to make this quilt a little less crazy, I decided to use a solid green strip, placed in the same spot on each block. I like the idea of this one constant in the midst of the randomness of the rest of the strips, and I like the pattern it creates.

I went for a mainly random look, not thinking too much about matching other colors or patterns. After all the blocks were completed, I did move them around a bit to match a few sections for some extra interest.

It’s not yet fully sewn together, and I’m finding that the hardest part of this quilt might just be removing the freezer paper! It seems as though the most important part is to remember to use a small stitch length so that the paper can be easily removed. Unfortunately, I have a few blocks where I forgot to change the stitch length from the default setting on the machine… I might be at this for a while!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to a black, white and green baby string quilt

Sara says:

The quill top looks great! I just did my 1st paper piecing project. I found removing the paper the most tedious part of the whole project (and, yes, I forgot to shorten my stitch length on my 1st block). I used copy paper and found that misting the paper make it come off pretty easily – not sure it would work on freezer paper!

Beth says:

I’m in love with this quilt!!! It looks so good with the black, white, and green! I’m usually drawn to a black and white scheme though. Can’t wait to see it all finished and quilted.

Sandi says:

This is absolutely gorgeous! My neighbor has requested a black, white and pink quilt for her daughter and I’m going to add your string quilt to the list of possible patterns. I’m working on a scrappy bright string quilt, and I foundation pieced it on muslin, so obviously I don’t have any paper to tear out. When I do freezer paper piecing, I don’t sew through the freezer paper. I fold it back and sew along the folded edge, the flip the paper and the fabric forward and iron it in place. I fold the next edge, sew, flip and iron. When I’m done, I just peel the freezer paper off the back and re-use it.

Terriaw says:

I do like this quilt block, and have always wanted to try paper piecing. It seems time consuming but the results are worth it.

Ashley says:

Wow, it looks great! I just put up a post at Block Party with a couple of paper piecing tips for anyone who has it done it yet, so feel free to chime in–it’s definitely a technique I’m still experimenting with.

Barb says:

Wow! That is a beautiful quilt! I love how the green solid calms the black and white…gorgeous. I would add this to my list if I wasn’t terrified of paper pieceing!

Carrie says:

Very striking. I love string quilts.

Nichole says:

I LOVE this! I have been working on a black, white, and yellow quilt that I have been struggling to find a pattern i love. i’m also using a lot of different patterned fabrics so it always seems to look too busy. the solid green strip really tones it down. would you be offended if i used this same idea?

Pam says says:

I like it very much! You did a great job!
    I love string quilts! I haven’t made one yet tho :(

MichelleB says:

This is a stunning quilt. I love the way it came out. I have paper pieced before, and taking the paper off is very tedious. I’m going to try the method that Sandi mentioned. Twiddletails has a great tutorial on her blog.

Melanie says:

What a beautiful quilt! I love the fabric choices.

Meg says:

Good luck getting rid of all that freezer paper!!

Cami says:

It is lovely! I love the colors. And the design is fantastic!

Amy Hodge says:

I love this — it looks great! I really like your idea of having the one solid green in the same place every time. I often find that totally random string quilts kind of hurt my eyes, but your green strip really anchors the whole thing. I’m impressed with your learning to paper piece. I have been wanting to learn to do that but haven’t mustered up the courage! Great job!

Natalie says:

This one turned our great! I love the way the green does flow in and out of the b&w fabrics. I am a HUGE fan of black and white… I just might have to take a stab at one like this. Normally I don’t like strips but you made it look really good!

anina says:

Oooh! I love it. It’s so different from anythng I’ve seen lately.

Alissa says:

Oh I love it! Glad to know that tip about smaller stitch lengths for when I make Ashley’s blocks!

Anna says:

I LOVE IT!! Seriously. I must make one like this — it is very inspirational!

It looks great – I love the placement of the green :) Hope the paper comes out!

What a beautiful quilt top! The colors are stunning together.

Mary says:

It’s gorgeous…but the paper part is one reason I always piece mine on a muslin foundation!

katie says:

oh, this is to die for! i just love it. someday i will have to try this technique. it is going to be stunning!

Kerri says:

love those colors together! can’t wait to see it all done.

Jen Eskridge says:

That is beautiful! I love the green with the b/w. Great spiderwebs.

Liz U. says:

That’s gorgeous. I wish there was a fabric that looked like that- I’d be tempted to buy it for a number of nefarious projects.

amandajean says:

it’s gorgeous! i think the green string as a constant was a great idea.

It looks great… i love the constant green and the randomness of the black and white… i too am paper piecing at the moment… just playing around with a few different blocks. I love the precision you get with piecing in this way… i use a larger needle (90/14) and reduce my stitch lengthe to around 1.5… i use 80gsm copy paper and don’t have a problem removing it later on… keep up the good work. Lx

Julie says:

This looks awesome! I so wish I could find the time to do some quilting. So inspired when I see what you’re working on. Unfortunately, I know mine would never turn out this well!

Kathy says:

I love this. So gorgeous. So inspiring! I am not sure I understand what paper piecing is…time to go to Google.

Serena says:

It is stunning! Just absolutely beautiful!

Shorty says:

This is an absolutely adorably beautiful quilt! I love the simplicity of the colors, and the solid green that you used as your constant. What a brilliant idea! I appreciate the inspiration so much.

Cheryl says:

A paper pieed string quilt? I never would have gone to those lengths. I do enjoy paper piecing, but that seems like a lot of extra work. Looks great!

erica says:

This is striking! I love it, great colors and composition!

jacquie says:

i’m in love! this is beautiful and what a great idea to practice before attempting that block party block. i need to do that too…i’m shaking in my boots a bit about that!

36. Pingback: » weaving webs… » fabric and photos

Linda says:

This is stunning, where can I fine the pattern for this? You really did a nice job.

Corinne says:

Can you please show this quilt completed? This is my favorite quilt of yours. I would love to see the finished product. I would like to make one similar to yours.

Kathleen - KC1930 says:

I’m a big fan of the color combo and it really came out great! Thanks for sharing!

40. Pingback: Getting Back on the Bus « How It All Began

Veta says:

I make a quilt for each niece/nephew’s wedding. We have a new one to make, and they asked for black and white with a purple accent. I sent her googling to find a quilt she liked, and she came up with this one! I’m pumped to make one, but it’s going to be queen size. Any idea how much of the green fabric you started with to make the baby quilt? I’d like a ballpark idea of how much purple to purchase.

42. Pingback: WIP #1 | Squares and Triangles

Lotus Van Sciver says:

Stunning quilt!I love your idea of green with the black and white patterned fabrics. I have 12 different black and white ?

Thank you for responding to my note.
    Sincerely,
    Lotus Van Sciver

Dyann Cox says:

You said you placed the green in the same place in each block….where did you place it in the block to make it look like a border or sashing around each block? Did you then randomly put some green in some of the other blocks? These colors are stunning!

Dyann Cox says:

Is there a pattern for this black, white and green quilt, or some instruction on the color lay out?

Abby says:

Here is a weblink to how she makes the blocks. I have it saved to “My Favorites” on my computer and am working on making a quilt! In that tutorial there is a link to another quilt.

Dot Bright says:

I sew my strips on light weight muslin. The first string quilt I made I used paper and I said never again. Since then I have used fabric.

Adeline Majeau says:

Would love to know how much fabric is needed for the green.
    Is there a pattern to give ideas.
    Love the quilt and my granddaughter would like one made similar to it.

Caitlyn says:

Ok I absolutely love this quilt and I may sound stupid but im new at this, cam someone please post this pattern for me to try??? Im not sure what the paper is used for but id like to learn.