two blocks for alissa

January is Alissa‘s month for the Block Party quilting bee. She sent out some great fabrics – a nice mix of orange, brown and aqua – and I had a great time making these blocks. She requested wonky log cabins… and here’s what I came up with -

I don’t want to tell you how long I spent on these… let’s just say it was longer than I expected. It seems as though making individual quilt blocks can take some time, especially when you’re making them for someone else (and you want to make sure they’re as perfect as you can make them!)

This is the first one I made

I love that little mini log cabin block in the bottom left.

I had a different idea for the second, but as I was sewing pieces together, it just turned into this instead.

I’m happy with the way they turned out, and I certainly hope Alissa likes them! From what I’ve seen, it looks like she’s going to end up with one very beautiful quilt!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to two blocks for alissa

Kerri says:

what beautiful blocks!! i love them both!!!

Natalie says:

I love these blocks! Not to mention that Alissa’s color choice is really fun.

Jackie says:

Both of your blocks look great. i really like the two wonky log cabins in one block.

erica says:

very creative! i love these.

Jody says:

They are really creative. I can’t wait to see the end result!

Carrie says:

Great blocks. They have a lot of interest.

Sara says:

I really, really like your blocks! It gives me some inspiration for my improv blocks. Great job!

Rosa says:

I love the color combination. The blocks look very 3D. Charming!

terriaw says:

I love what you did with these blocks. I also love the fabric and color combinations, so this was a great use of them.

amandajean says:

the blocks are fun! i love the little log cabin in the corner, too. don’t you think that it’s harder to make one or two blocks rather than an entire quilt?

They look great… i’m sure Alissa will love them. Lx

Tif says:

These are great! Love your rendition of log cabin…

christine says:

hey, those improv blocks look fabulous! as do these log cabin ones. they do look like more work i’d like to have for a block, i admit. but i understand the doing-it-for-someone-else thing.
    thanks for offering your quilt help, i put you on my mental quilt guru list :)
    how do you pick your patterns? make them up yourself after finding inspiration, or is it a lot more organized?

gardenymph says:

Hi! I am in the project improv pool over at flickr, and I just wanted to tell you how much I love these blocks! It’s funny, I had just been doing a sketch in my notebook that involved two blocks in one, but I couldn’t quite wrap my head around it, and then I saw your blocks. You really nailed it! Also, I have been an admirer of your quilts for some time now. Great work. :~)

17. Pingback: » Mini log cabin blocks » fabric and photos