things i’m working on…

Mostly making a mess -

You know how I love digging through my scraps! I’m considering another scrap quilt, but this is as far as I’ve gotten, so who knows…

And then there’s this quilt, which really should have been done ages ago. I’ve definitely been procrastinating with this one. This is actually the start of the back of the quilt. (is it strange to do the back before you do the front?)

This picture is probably a bit distracting since I’m building it on top of another completed quilt. Does anyone else do this? I typically construct the backs of my quilts on top of the fronts, so I have an idea of the size I need. I don’t really like to measure, so I find this technique works perfectly for me.

Since I don’t have a completed top for this one, I’m using my Bits of Color quilt as my size guide. I like the finished size of that quilt.

Anyway… the center will be white, and I’ll do a white border surrounding the zig zag rectangle. Now I just need to actually get sewing…

The free time I had for sewing is now replaced with wedding planning. We are planning a wedding in Florida in early March, and let me tell you, trying to plan while in Vermont is a bit challenging. I’ll be heading to Florida this weekend in order to finalize some plans (and to get away from the -10 degree weather we have here currently!). I think we’re doing ok now – ask me in a month though and my answer will probably be different! There are many more plans to be made, including plans for a honeymoon… (anyone with suggestions on interesting honeymoon locations is welcome to comment!) Since we’ll be in Florida, we were thinking somewhere in the Caribbean, but who knows…

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to things i’m working on…

Nichole says:

Congrats on planning your wedding. Wedding planning took up a considerable amount of my sewing time last year. My husband and I went to St. Lucia for our honeymoon. It was BEAUTIFUL! We really enjoyed it a lot. We stayed at a Sandals and it was so nice to not have to worry about anything except getting on a plane. Highly recommend it. :)

MichelleB says:

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. My DH just went off and got married – no planning, which totally worked for us.

Love the start of the back of your quilt. Makes we want to work with my 1974 fabric again.

MichelleB says:

Okay, that was supposed to say my DH AND I went off and got married. LOL Geez!

Sarah says:

Oooh…wedding in Florida…NICE! We went to the Dominican Republic, which was great. I had traveled a lot in the past and had done some more cultural experiences, so for the honeymoon, we just wanted to sit on the beach, meet no one and do nothing!…is that bad? I suggest going somewhere where you can just relax and not think about ANYTHING(i.e. all inclusive). After the wedding planning, you’ll probably want to just chill.

Kerri says:

congrats on getting married!!! have fun in florida!! we use to live in iowa and remember those 10 degree winter days!! BRRRR!! florida i’m sure sounds wonderful!

your scaps look lovely, and can’t wait to see what you create! love your zig zag quilt!

Emily says:

I just planned a very large wedding away from where I lived as well. My biggest tip is get as much done while there then come home and forget about it. Trying to set things up via email or phone sucks. I took 4 trips over a year period and retained my sanity part way through when I realized all of the crap that came along with fretting about unfinished things in between my trips.

Alissa says:

The quilt looks like it’s gonna be another great one! And have fun with the planning! Everyone thinks that brides to be are crazy but it so doesn’t have to be that way – I just tried to stay mellow about it all I enjoyed the whole process… And for our honeymoon my husband and I went to Cuba which will be VERY close to you in Florida, but you have to go through a 3rd country, so it’d be a tad out of your way to either first fly up to Canada or to Mexico! Ha! I’m sure that no matter where you go, you’ll love it!

Amber says:

Wow – both quilts looks spectacular. I love the zig zag – I don’t like sewing with triangles but maybe I should try again.

Congrats on the wedding! There are so many options in the Caribbean too – or you can always go somewhere in Central America. Costa Rica is really pretty!

Christina says:

We did three Caribbean cruises in 2007, and one was for our honeymoon. We went to the Southern Carribean and it was beautiful. I love Princess cruise lines, their amenities and free-style dining are wonderful. I would recommend looking into them. We would spend afternoons by the pool soaking in the sun, watching a movie on the huge screen on deck with drink in hand. Sometimes we’d get off ship for awhile and explore and at nights we’d watch movies under the stars. It is truly our favorite way to travel. Good luck with the wedding, Florida will be so nice!

kama says:

Amber already commented that Costa Rica is nice. That’s where my husband and I went for our honeymoon and it was GREAT! We both loved it. Tabacon Hot Springs is really awesome and so is a little place outside of San Jose–Finca Rosa Blanca. I also liked the zipline in Monte Verde and the ocean at Punta Islita. We also went to a few other places (we travelled a lot, but were there for 2 weeks) and it was great! Anyway, if you’re interested, I can tell you more. :)

betsy says:

if that is the back you are showing I can just imagine how nice the front must look!

Dani says:

I can highly recommend Barbados, that is where my hubby and I got married. It is a great, very safe, beautiful island and the price is reasonable compared to some of the other islands.

just be sure to go somewhere warm! Your projects are very nice looking so far :)

Kristin L says:

I love the way the horizontal bits interact with the zig zag! I know it’s not intentional, but it could be inspiration for a whole other quilt!

anina says:

I love zig zags!
    Have fun with the wedding planning!