the first finished quilt of 2009

I quilted this one the other night and managed to sew on the binding while talking on the phone with a college friend (Hi Kate!). Hooray for multi-tasking!

I had a few issues while quilting this one – I had to spend a little time with the seam ripper, and I ended up with a little fold on the back that I only discovered after I was all finished (of course!). Luckily, now that it’s washed and dried and crinkly all over, it’s hardly noticeable.

For the back I did some simple strips at the top and a pieced section near the bottom using up my remaining strips from the front. I purposely added in some white strips in that section to give it that sectioned look.

(you’ll have to ignore all those wrinkles – I have issues remembering to take things out of the dryer. Just ask Morgan…)

(Speaking of Morgan, he’ll be sad that I made him pose with this quilt this morning before work and then I ended up not using them)

Enough asides – here’s the start of my next project. Back to triangles…

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to the first finished quilt of 2009

carolyn says:

the quilt looks great. my mom said that marti michele(sp?)’s rule is that unless the fold is so big you can get your toe stuck in it, it’s not worth ripping out the stitching to fix. ;)

ooooo the triangles look intriguing. some great fabrics there! :)

Natalie says:

I LOVE the way the quilt ended up. I love the quilted puckers that result after washing them. I am excited to see the progress of your next project. It looks like it might be a zig zag quilt, is it? I really like the fabrics in both!

nettie says:

I LOVE it! I am so glad you posted measurements for this one. I am definitely going to add it to my to do list.

Cami says:

Oh, it turned out lovely. I love all the crinkles …and wrinkles :-) I can’t wait to see your next project.

Carrie says:

This turned out really nice. Like those 1974 fabrics too!

MichelleB says:

Love the way the quilt came out! And I always love 1974! Can hardly wait to see how it comes out.

Alissa says:

Beautiful!! And yeah – those dang puckers in the back can be a major pain! But I agree that after a wash and dry they aren’t even noticeable. I’ve discovered that the only way to avoid them is to pin and pin and pin and pin even more. It’s not fun. Anyhow – beautiful quilt! I’ve had a quilt all done, save the binding, for weeks now and you’re inspiring me to get on it and finish it!!

Tracy says:

I just love this one, the colors really appeal to me especially w/ the binding. You are amazing.

Kate says:

I made it onto Ash’s blog……now I’m famous!!! Yeah! :) It was great catching-up with you this week!

Jackie says:

I love the quilt and the crinkley look. The first thing I do when I finish a quilt is wash and dry it to give it the crinkly look.

N. says:

The quilt looks great and to have one complete in early Jan is great! I made my first quilt in December and I’ve already started another. Eventually I want to do a zig zag quilt but this one is going to be appliqued circles.

bakeandsew says:

You always do such a wonderful job – I love your quilts.

Janna says:

I am SO IMPRESSED!! Do you have kids? :) I just discovered your blog a week or two ago from flikr and it’s one I read everyday now. You are so ispirational! WOW! I can’t believe people get so so much accomplished. So very cool! I would love to sew that much:) Keep it up. I love seeing it all. GORGEOUS quilts, love all your fabric choices and patterns. So neat. I really chuckled to myself on the one for your brother. Keep em coming! Janna

josie says:

It looks like it came out perfectly to me:)

Patty says:

Your quilt turned out really nice.

christine says:

pretty quilt! i love the back. am about to meander quilt my first one, so far i’ve been dodging that. any easy way to do it? :)

jacquie says:

i love how it turned out. i can’t get over how much i like a zig zag…my heart beats a little faster when i see one.

anina says:

It’s a beautiful quilt. Contratulations on the first one of ’09!

carrie says:

Great quilt. I love the colors, and the way it is all crinkled!

Jen says:

I have read your blog before, but I NEVER realized that you have only been sewing for one year; I am shocked!! You are so talented and so very brave. Your work is innovative, beautiful, and inspiring! Keep up the fantastic work, and continue to share your gorgeous creations with us via your blog. Have a prolific 2009! (I have been quilting for five years, and I’m still afraid to try free-motion quilting…)

erica says:

Oh so nice. Your work is inspiring.

jessica says:

I love this quilt! Pieced backs are my favorite. One quilt only a week or so into the New Year is exciting- Happy Quilting!

kama says:

I have a quilting question for you about your machine. I can’t find your e-mail address here… My question is–what kind of machine do you have? I’m in a quilting class now and am getting my top done. I have a Brother and hope that I can quilt it myself. I am just totally impressed with your quilts and know that you just started, so I wanted to write you an e-mail. Anyway…I hope to hear from you! :)

Pikku-Kettu says:

This quilt looks amazing! I love the “painting and frames”- effect!

robyn says:

WOW! This might be the prettiest quilt I have EVER seen!

26. Pingback: Patchwork squares… I have a new favorite! - Film In The Fridge

Rosely says:

Dear Ashley, you gave me a lot of ideas to start assembling many ‘lost’ fabrics I ve got from a friend’s mother. Congratulations on all your ideas! May God keep blessing you and your family.

Kathy says:

I am a recovering Thimbleberries, Log Cabin addict. I am using your inspiration for Project Linus quilts and have your link on my blogroll. Thanks much for sharing soooomuch.

Kathy

Ruth Shea says:

The patchwork squares quilt is beautiful. Would like to try it. Is there a pattern or directions for twin size?

30. Pingback: Fabric Scrap Ideas « ChristyNelson.net