Echino log cabin blocks

So, while these may look like they could be part of a gift, I can’t lie. They’re not. This is just me procrastinating again. My list is long, and I’m running out of time (isn’t today the last day to order online with regular shipping? Oi!) but I needed a bit of distraction so I started in on these log cabin blocks.

I love Etsuko Furuya and I’ve been collecting different prints on and off for a while. I love the colors, patterns and especially how they can be combined to create an entirely new pattern. If you’ll recall, I pieced together a few other prints and stretched them over a canvas to create some art for my office. I often look up from my computer and glance over at them, and perhaps this is what prompted me to start another similar project.

I’m not sure what I’ll use them for, but for now I’m enjoying making them and I like looking at them. I don’t know how they’d work for a quilt – that cotton canvas may not be the best fabric for quilting… I might just try it anyway though.

Ok, back to the gifts…

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Echino log cabin blocks

Love the color combos :) With a fresh needle I’m sure you could quilt the heavy-weight fabric no problem. . . it’s not procrastination either – it’s creative therapy. Getting ready to make those gifts :)

Michelle says:

I think you’d be able to quilt them – if you’re making into something bigger, just use a heavier weight cotton for the sashing, etc. I’m guessing you haven’t washed the fabric – I have the scooters & airplanes, and it got a lot softer after washing. So I think it’s quiltable (is that a word??)…you’ll just need to be careful with the seams if you’re doing some free-motion…otherwise I think the walking foot will handle it just fine. I’ve just made bags with my Etsuko Furuya fabrics, but that worked out well, and there’s a lot of bulk going on there! And I back tracked to the canvas post – those are beautiful!

jacquie says:

why not? i do that too…make blocks just because.

anina says:

You should be able to quilt them. Or make beautiful pillow covers. Or pot holders, although that would probably be a waste of these beautiful fabrics.

turtlewon says:

Did you actually photograph those blocks outside?? Is that flagstone I see in the background? I thought you lived where it snowed… Oh, and they’re beautiful!

Alissa says:

I freakin’ LOVE these. And I think you can definitely quilt them. I think it would work with no issues.

terriaw says:

I am loving your “creative therapy”, as Amy called it! These blocks are really cute. You could frame them with a solid color sashing.

betsy says:

it’ll come to you. they are lovely and bright!

9. Pingback: » A quilting dilemma » fabric and photos

Kelly says:

You can definitely quilt with canvas-weight prints. I have, on a quilt for my nephew (twin-bed sized). Just a few of the prints were canvas-weight, not the whole thing, which led to a wonderful textural experience, in my opinion. My sewing machine is crap, and with a walking foot it handled it all just fine.

I know I’m a little late to the game in responding, but I just found your blog. I’ve been coveting your black-and-green quilt over on Flickr for quite some time.