Handmade Christmas Ornaments

My birthday falls two weeks before Christmas (this coming Friday, actually…) and as I was growing up, it was always a tradition to put up and decorate our tree on my birthday. One year, after I had moved to an apartment, my family surprised me with a Christmas tree. Of course at that point I didn’t have any ornaments at all, so they decorated it entirely in mini candy bars (those fun sized ones). Each piece had a ribbon taped to it and there was quite a variety hung from the tree. I found it to be quite perfect – a surprisingly fun decoration, plus a tasty treat!

Since then I’ve started collecting ornaments. We try to buy a special new one each year to add to the collection. Since we haven’t collected too many yet (despite much cajoling, my parents still won’t give up any of my childhood ornaments!), we’ve had to be a bit creative in creating our own handmade ornaments.

I knit these little hats

and was so pleased with how they turned out that I knit a little set – including these teeny little mittens hung on a string

My brother, the paper folding master in our family, made these little origami cranes using the instructions provided here. I used fishing line to make a loop for hanging and to attach a couple beads on the bottom to give them a bit of weight.

Not to be outdone, Morgan created this wonderful little Santa out of a styrofoam ball, some felt scraps, mini pom poms and a paperclip

And last, but not least, my sister, who really didn’t want any part of the craftiness, made this

I like the googly eyes jammed into the styrofoam ball. I’m not sure it will actually end up on the tree.

I have to add a few more links to my fabric chain, and then I think the tree will be complete. Now I just need to remember to water it so it lives until Christmas!

8 Responses to Handmade Christmas Ornaments

N. says:

My mom won’t give up my childhood ornaments either :). My husband does have his childhood ornaments and between those and the ones I’ve bought since college we have enough to fill our tree but I always liked the look of gingerbread ornaments. You could do anything they make a cookie cutter for or if you have the skills cut them out yourself. Gingerbread will last for years or you could feed them to the birds after Christmas.

terriaw says:

Cute little hats and knitted sets! When I finished college and stopped moving around so much, my mom was happy to give me some of my childhood ornaments and some of hers too. I must be lucky! I really cherish them, and even though they are fragile, I put them out anyway so they don’t spend Christmas stuffed in a box. Hope you can convince your mom to give them up!

christine says:

heyyy, what fabulous ornaments. a tree with such a skirt could not wish for any funner and more special ornaments. i have knit a few stuffed animals and at the end, became rather impatient with the very few slings on the needle. i’m amazed at how you did the mittens and tiny hats! look very wintery and cozy :)

turtlewon says:

Too cute and again most creative. Perhaps your folks just love the memories of Christmas of you and your siblings — and all those ornaments serve as reminders … Or maybe they’d love some new ones and some trades could take place! Knitted items and origami…hmmm

turtlewon says:

p.s. the Santa is amazing, who knew!? and the angel, truly a wow ornament!

evensweeter says:

So mean! I’m actually a little shocked my…umm…thing made it to your post at all. Never fear, I plan to outdo you all this year. I mean, once I find a tutorial on how to make styrofoam ball people, you’re going to be blown away. Until then, I think this one belongs on the tree.

amandajean says:

I LOVE the little hats and mittens. so darn cute!!!

Nancy says: