The tree was looking naked…

…so I made it a skirt.

(though perhaps I shouldn’t use the word ‘naked’ in my title, or I might find myself with visitors looking for something other than sewing crafts!)

This tree skirt is inspired by amandajean’s tree skirt, as seen here in her Christmas tree skirt tutorial. I love her log cabin blocks, but I just didn’t have the patience!

I grabbed all the fabrics I had in red, green and brown and created 7″ blocks, each using 2 fabrics. I wanted my tree skirt to be a bit larger, so I created enough blocks to ultimately make a square about 60″. (It looks like it shrunk a bit in the wash, and is now about 57″ square.)

My goal was to finish it on Saturday so that we could get the tree on Sunday… I didn’t quite make it, as I was still hand sewing the binding on Sunday morning, but I’m pleased to say that I got it finished and now the tree looks lovely!

Now I should get busy sewing so there will be some presents to put under the tree!

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The tree was looking naked…

anina says:

Very nice! I really should be making one too. Our tree is naked. :-)

It looks beautiful! I was eyeing that same skirt last night and wondering if I have time. Now I really really want one too.

Alissa says:

It’s so cute – I want to make one!!

And too funny about using the word naked in your title… I’ve had a couple of “interesting” visitors because of my mentions of (making quilts for) twin girls. Somehow I suspect my blog disappoints these visitors. But maybe they learn something about quilting! Ha!

Michaela says:

I love it. I like the idea that it’s bigger.

What a great tree skirt. When Morgan mentioned it on the phone I didn’t think it was going to be as big. Perfect for actually fitting all of your presents! Love how you did the opening, too.

christine says:

That skirt will be a cozy pasture for all the gifts. Again, seeing that, makes me wanna get quilty :)

Dewdrop says:

Wow, I can’t believe how quick you whipped that out. I can’t imagine being such a fast quilter, I’m not even to the quilting stage yet! It’s beautiful, btw.

Kim says:

Awesome! We have our first tree. I think the Yankee Swap could use a tree skirt!!!

Melissa says:

I love this tree skirt. I like how it is different and not round like a typical tree skirt. Good job.

13. Pingback: Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » Holidays at Home

amandajean says:

nice job on the tree skirt! and a great idea to make it larger, too! it looks great under your tree.

Laurie says:

Do you want to come over and make me one too? ;)