Another quick patchwork project

This project was really quite quick, but might also make a great gift, especially if paired with those potholders from the other day!

I’ve been trying to use up some of my small scraps, since it’s been getting a little out of hand! Like many others, I have a hard time throwing away fabric, even the smallest scraps, and as a result, I have a huge container filled with some pretty small scraps. For this project I pulled out scraps that were about 3″-4″ long with varying widths.

I wanted to add some color to these plain white dishtowels. These are Martha Stewart flour sack towels, which I bought at Kmart some time ago. I love them as towels, but frankly, they’re a little boring as is… a bit of color is just what they needed!

To make these I sewed the scraps I had selected into a long strip, long enough to cover the width of the towel, with about an inch overhang on either end.

I decided I wanted a strip about 3″ wide, so I marked a straight line on the top and bottom edges and folded and ironed along those lines to create a nice straight, clean strip.

I then pinned this strip to the towel. I decided to sew it about 4″ from the bottom edge of the towel. I used a zig zag stitch to sew down the length of the strips. To ensure that it stayed in place during washing, I also stitched in the ditch every couple of blocks.

And now you have some fun towels – just enough to add a little color to your kitchen!

This entry was posted in Household Goods and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Another quick patchwork project

Woody says:

What a super way to use up scraps. I too hate throwing away fabric and have the smallest pieces!! So believe me you are not the only one – I just need somewhere to store all my scraps as they are overflowing all over the sewing table.

Alissa says:

So cute! You are so freakin’ productive! It’s impressive…

Terriaw says:

Great towels! I have been saving those little pieces of fabrics too, with no idea on how to use them. Sometimes I think I should just let them go, but now I’m glad to see how you used them up. Love it!

jacquie says:

i was shopping for some towels like this to add to my mom’s potholders, but couldn’t find a thing. maybe my local kmart will have these. the one place i didn’t go! thanks for the tip. they look fab!

Rachel says:

These are gorgeous! You always put together the best color and fabric combos, I love them! I’ll be linking!

nancy says:

What a great idea! I love those towels but you are right-they are boring. These would be cute in a gift basket of kitchen items.

amandajean says:

that is a great idea! I love your new towels.

Jackie says:

I LOVE your idea for towels! They are super cute!

Jill says:

Love these! I just went through all my scraps yesterday and sorted them into stacks. That’s not sad at all is it?! This will be a great use ‘em up project!

Cristin says:

Stinkin’ ingenious! I love this idea… will be trying it out soon! But first – to Kmart!

katy says:

I love this!! Great idea and perfect way to use scraps.

16. Pingback: Homemade Wedding Gift Ideas « Skip To My Lou

18. Pingback: Floralshowers | Neighbor Gifts: Embellished Hand Towels — Floral Showers

I love this. Thank you so much for sharing! I would be honored if you would link up your super cute blog over on my blog stalkin’ page.