Another big one…

but unfortunately, not big enough. It seems like I’ve been working on this quilt for quite some time now, and it seems as though I’ve cut about a million rectangles, but it still turns out that it’s not queen sized! How is that possible?!

Ok, I haven’t really been working on this forever, since for the majority of the time the pieces have been left laying on our guest bed (it’s a good thing we don’t have guests too often!) and I haven’t really cut a million rectangles either… that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

It’s interesting to look at this quilt top though, as it was started when I was still really really new to quilting. In fact, I was trying to cut rectangles using a paper pattern, rather than a ruler and rotary cutter – what was I thinking?! The result is that the rectangles aren’t all quite the same size, and consequently what should have lined up does not. It’s ok though, as it just shows how much I’ve learned!

But back to the current size of it. I’ve cut the white sashing and sewn the top together. It currently covers our queen sized guest bed, but there’s definitely no overhang. I’m reluctant to cut additional pieces to make it large enough (basically because I’m lazy and I’d rather be working on something else!) but since it’s so close I think I’d be silly not to complete it correctly.

I guess that’s what I’ll be working on this weekend. Currently there are no repeating fabrics, so I’m going to have to work to find enough additional fabrics to finish this one!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Another big one…

Carrie says:

What a wonderful stash you must have! I like that the rectangles don’t match up. If you hadn’t said so, I would have thought it was purposeful. A white border might also look nice, if you didn’t want to finish it with rectangles. Either way, it’s going to be a pretty bed quilt!

Kat says:

I echo Carrie’s suggestion for a border. They aren’t really in vogue with modern quilting right now, but I personally love them. A white one would work or a patterned fabric, or you could piece together the leftover bits from your blocks to make a scrappy border.

i agree a border would be a great way to finish it up and get it to size. It’s fun that it has no repeats :)

Amber says:

I vote for a big border too- so much easier! It looks so great!

jacquie says:

sometimes you get to the point in a quilt where you just want it done. i feel for you. i think you’ll be happy you kept going.

Libby says:

I was just going to say “big borders!” like everyone else did :) I figure the bit on the top of the bed is what people really see and notice – if the overhang is all border it won’t detract from the finished product. I can understand wanting to have an all over design though, too….

Alissa says:

Love it. So nice. That same size thing happened to me when I made my first big quilt… I was too lazy to fix it though!! I was working with triangles though which I learned then I’m not a huge fan of working with. Love the results, don’t enjoy the process as much!

terriaw says:

I know what you mean about not feeling like making this one bigger, but I think you will be happy in the long run. Plus that border suggestion is a great idea. Looks great so far!

amandajean says:

you could just add a large white border for the overhang. but one thing to remember is to make the quilt a little larger than you think it needs to be. because when you wash and dry it, it will shrink up. I made a king size for my bed and it hangs over the bed JUST enough. I wish I would have made the quilt a few more inches larger on each side. and there’s no way to go back, now.

the quilt looks FABULOUS by the way! :)

betsy says:

Very nice! I love the bright colors

Juddie says:

I think it’s just wonderful! I’m hoping to start my first quilt soon – it’s quite daunting but I feel inspired when I see lovely results like this :-)