A colorful quilt top

So, is this what you were expecting? Probably not… It’s actually not what I was expecting when I first started this quilt. I knew that I wanted to work with triangles again, but I wasn’t sure of the pattern. This resulted due to Morgan’s help. We were creating different patterns with the triangles and he was actually showing me what not to do… which ended up being just what I did. Go figure.

At first, the colors were going to be randomly matched, but then I realized that I did have enough fabrics to match them with others of the same hue. (It’s funny, because I would never have set out to make a quilt with all the colors of the rainbow, but I do actually like the result.)

I don’t have a name for this one, and I’m open to suggestions. Clearly you’ve seen that my choices for past quilts have been lacking. Maybe this pattern already has a name and I could just call it that – does anyone know?

I haven’t yet decided what that back will look like, but I think I’ll be using my favorite Flea Market Fancy print in either pink or gold for the binding. My local quilting shop is out of spray adhesive, so this may have to be put aside for a bit (I know, there are other places to buy it, but I’m really partial to this one brand!)

Next up… I’m thinking I might just finish up one of the quilts I started and never finished… like this one, or maybe this one

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A colorful quilt top

Libby says:

Lovely!! I love the way you arranged the fabrics and colors. I’m not sure about a name – seems like it MIGHT be a pattern that already has a name but how do you ever find out? :-)

Carrie says:

This is so full of color. I’m stunned that you came across the design by accident – it looks purposeful. Hmm, reminds me of “crossroads” or “x marks the spot”.

Sarah says:

I REALLY like it. Sort of a modern twist, but classic at the same time. How about “Square Dance.”

That just may be my favorite quilt you’ve made so far! I agree with Sarah, it’s a very nice – modern twist to a classic quilt.

Amber says:

Wow – this is incredible! I love it! I love Sarah’s suggestion for a name.
    And I love the second quilt you linked to – so cute!

Michaela says:

So cute! I would never expected it from the sneak peak you gave us.
    I thought about dancing too. Something like Color Dance. Then I look at it again and thought about Tic Tac toe, so maybe Rainbow Tic Tac Toe . That might be too long, but hey it rhymes.
    Great job anyway. I love it and can’t wait for pics of the other two finished.

Terriaw says:

I really love the shadowing effect your color placements are creating in this quilt! And I love how that makes the colors muted overall so one color does not dominate, making this very appealing to the eye. Nice job!

Amy says:

I love it. Of course. I recently made a whole bunch of orange and white half-square triangles and spent hours with them on the floor trying different arrangements. I guess this one couldn’t really have come up since it was only one color. It was fun though. Like a puzzle. Sorry I don’t know the name. How ’bout half-square-flowers? I’m not good at that game.

Elizabeth says:

I love this — especially the way you grouped the colors!

THAT…. is just gorgeous!! LOve it. Lx

Katie says:

It’s stunning. I can’t wait to see it finished!

jacquie says:

i think i’d call it windmill whimsy…it reminds me of a field of windmills.

Alissa says:

Oh it is so nice!! There’s nothing like a quilt that really showcases so many different wonderful fabrics!! Beautiful.

Tif says:

I love the variation of the windmill theme! Just lovely…

your bro says:

Hey kid – Thats HOT!! So crafty…

nettie says:

i agree with everyone, it is beautiful. (i’m no good with names either.) I’m also curious what brand of spray adhesive you use, I am VERY partial to a particular brand as well (i like dritz or 3m)

turtlewon says:

This is definitely another favorite for me — just beautiful! How you produce them so quickly is beyond me. I think Jacquie’s name for it — “windmill whimsy” fits perfectly. Whatever will you do when it starts snowing and Morgan doesn’t want to stand out in the cold for those infamous outdoor windy pictures?! Keep that creativity flowing!

Ginger says:

This is a stunning quilt, and the windmill whimsy fits. Have you ever thought of naming your quilts after people you know or places you like? Or is that too pottery-barnish? Once again, am in awe of your talent and eye!

Sandi says:

I showed this to a friend (a new quilter) and she’s going to give it a try for her son. She’s using blues and greens, with a darker green instead of the white. It should be interesting! I think she’s calling it Criss Cross.

Handmaiden says:

it looks so effective from afar………you have done such a great job on the colour selection

Kat B says:

My Dad said I should check out your site, since I, too, love sewing project! Beautiful quilt, by the way.. I wish I had the floor space and time… Hope to see you next summer at C.B. Kat (Bill and Barb B’s daughter)

Debbie says:

What brand of spray adhesive?

betsy says:

I just simply love your blog. You are like me, in love with color. I definetly put you in my blog roll.

Quilts by Lisa says:

Have you named this yet? I really like it. How about “A Wink of Color” for its name? Each time I look at the quilt, it seems to wink at me.

Kristin says:

I think I just came across a similar pattern called “Windmills” the other day… either way, I love it and love how you kept the colour families together! Such a pretty quilt and all the more fun for going against hubby’s suggestions! [wink]