Another completed quilt…

Sea Flower Stripes!

Morgan picked the name – I never can come up with anything creative. I guess it’s obvious – it’s named for the fabrics used… lots of the Mendocino line – mermaids, fish, kelp and jellyfish – as well as a few of the floral prints from the Lightning Bugs line, and of course there are lots of stripes, so the name seems appropriate.

I finished quilting it over the weekend, and sewed the last of the binding on last night. This is my second free motion quilted quilt, and I’m pleased to say that it does indeed get easier. I actually enjoyed it this time (and no sore muscles!)!

I used the pink kelp stripe for the binding, but ran a bit short and had to add in a bit of another fabric (those orange seahorses). I actually really like that little bit of orange, so I’m glad it worked out the way it did.

The back is pieced – a couple sections of the larger pieces I had remaining, as well as a section of all the remaining strips.

This one measures 44″ x 63″… I think they just keep getting larger. Maybe someday I’ll work my way up to a queen sized quilt for our bed!

I’m considering entering this one into the handmade baby quilt contest here… does it have a ‘modern, hip feel’? Hmmm…

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, Uncategorized, [search] Strip Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Another completed quilt…

Carrie says:

I just love the colors in this one with the striped blocks alternating directions! It’s a beauty. The pieced back is as fun as the front. You should enter it into the contest.

Alissa says:

Oh it’s so nice!! So cozy and fall-ish. Definitely has a “modern and hip” feel and you should enter it. And yes – they will slowly get bigger and bigger. Soon you’ll not be able to resist wanting one on your bed!

rebecca says:

i love that Mendocino line everytime i see something made from it, but i especially like how you’ve pieced this into Sea Flower Stripes. looks like such a lovely and fun quilt. i hope you have the best time using it. it’s very hip & modern, so be sure to enter it in that contest you mentioned!

Amy says:

YES do enter – it’s beautiful – as are all of the others.

jacquie says:

you should definitely enter…what could it hurt? it’s definitely hip!

Jessie says:

Oh my gosh, I love this one!!! I love the Mendocino line, and the addition of the florals makes it so pretty and feminine!!! You’ve totally inspired me to get some Mendocino…and maybe copy you so I can have my own! :O)

nettie says:

i love this! it’s a favorite. the colors are fantastic, you have a great eye for color. i definitely think you should enter it.

amandajean says:

it’s GREAT! I love a pieced binding. it adds so much interest to a quilt.

Kathy says:

Hi. I love this quilt that you made and I would like to try a variation.

I was wondering if you knew the size of your blocks? Are they six inches? And if so, were your strips 1.5 inches each?

Thanks for any help!